FA/Trade Thread 14-15 Season V.13 - For Sale: All of the Leafs Pending UFA's and More

Status
Not open for further replies.

HarrisonFord

President of the Drew Doughty Fan Club
Jul 20, 2011
Toronto
fascinating

I believe the exact opposite.

Smyth was a garbage player when he came back to the Oilers. He played the game hard, I'll give him that, but he reminds me of Robidas in a way. They play hard, but they're not necessarily playing their most effective hockey. Polak is playing very well for us

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
when I say budget team I mean they don't spend to the cap which they don't, they have like 11 million in cap space right now, last year they had 5 mill in cap space in the cap crunch year, and 12/13 they had 16 mill in cap space, there still a budget team, they may not be a team who barely squeaks over the floor but they don't spend up to the cap and with Weber at 7.8 mill and Rinne at 7 mill they probably can't afford Kessel right now. Nashville is probably looking for a top 6 forward but that's probably a center considering Fisher/Cullen/Ribeiro are all UFA's this summer. they have no need for kessel, and therefore moving Jones for Kessel is probably not going to happen.

Budget team means they have an internal budget they can't spend over. They do not. They are quite willing and able to spend up to the cap for the right reasons. Just because they haven't doesn't mean they are a budget team. Being a budget team and not spending to the cap are not one and the same.

But yes, I agree that Kessel to Nashville doesn't make sense in a vacuum. They have less need for a winger and more for a center. Ideally they trade Jones for a center. But we know Poile loves Kessel, I mean he tried to trade for him before, and he's defended him multiple times. Toss is the need for a high end game breaker, being the best they've probably ever been and having a legit shot at a cup contention (whcih I disagree with some, tehy definitely do) and you could have a perfect storm where they MIGHT trade Jones for Kessel. I still think its unlikely but it's not impossible.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
I wonder if Bozak is going to get traded in the upcoming weeks. Now's the time to capitalize before his value gets too low and basically untradeable to a certain degree.

Dreger said there's interest for him. Now's the time to trim cap space and get younger.

Sell (somewhat) high before we get burned.

I don't think we need to worry about Bozak losing value. He can be such a useful piece on so many teams. Faceoffs, shootouts, etc. coaches love that kind of stuff.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I don't think you can trade guys when they are LTIR?

I'm not sure about LTIR but IR you can. Even those are incredibly rare though.

Jets can wait to place him on LTIR if a team is willing to work something out.

Like I mentioned earlier, maybe the Leafs offer someone like Lupul, who to me could have a big impact on that Jets team for a playoff push, for a pick and an injured Kane.

Leafs get a younger Lupul essentially but with huge question marks. Jets get an often injured 60 point player with a similar cap hit. Leafs get a pick for their trouble of picking a player not playing for the next few months and a head case.

Lupul probably doesn't waive or have the Jets on his NTC list though... I mean, who does?

Last edited:

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Smyth was a garbage player when he came back to the Oilers. He played the game hard, I'll give him that, but he reminds me of Robidas in a way. They play hard, but they're not necessarily playing their most effective hockey. Polak is playing very well for us

that right there is a testiment of leadership to me

still giving it your all, giving it hell even when do don't have the magic anymore.

Smyth had already proven his bona fides with his career pedigree

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I don't think we need to worry about Bozak losing value. He can be such a useful piece on so many teams. Faceoffs, shootouts, etc. coaches love that kind of stuff.

If he has another year like this year? His value definitely takes a hit. Terrible 5 on 5 numbers and very invisible. Imagine if/when Kessel gets traded as well? Oh boy... It's going to get ugly fast. I'd rather not take the risk to have another asset go cold and get low or zero value.

The Leafs are going to be bad for the foreseable future and Bozak is not going to get much better. He's a tweener. Might as well get younger/future assets and really not lose anytime.

I don't hate Bozak but I think we can move on from him without setting us back years.

Give Kadri and Holland the keys, see how they develop in the new roles and re-evaluate their value as you move forward in the rebuild.

Sep 14, 2009
Guelph
Does anyone think there's the potential for a big deal with Nashville. Maybe not at the TDL but in the off-season.

Jones
1st
Fiala
Stalberg (in AHL I think; cap dump)
Nystrom (dude makes like 3 million; cap dump)

for

Kessel
Franson

Nashville keeps its roster in tact as mostly prospects or players not contributing that come our way; Franson gives them a Jones replacement (and he's likely better than Jones at the moment or at least on par); and they add Kessel.

We get Jones for our top-pairing, two forwards to fill out our roster (since hopefully a lot of our players are getting shipped out) and then 1st and prospect.

HarrisonFord

President of the Drew Doughty Fan Club
Jul 20, 2011
Toronto
that right there is a testiment of leadership to me

still giving it your all, giving it hell even when do don't have the magic anymore.

Smyth had already proven his bona fides with his career pedigree

He gave it his all, but did he demand the same from his teammates? That to me is just as important. When Polak called out his teammates to the media a month or so ago I liked it. And if he spoke out to the media about it, you know he'd have brought it up in the dressing room too. You don't just skip right to bringing it outside the dressing room

I Believe

Mar 5, 2011
Toronto
I could see Franson going to Tampa. Team has 2 1sts and might be looking to shore up their defence a bit.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
If he has another year like this year? His value definitely takes a hit. Terrible 5 on 5 numbers and very invisible. Imagine if/when Kessel gets traded as well? Oh boy... It's going to get ugly fast. I'd rather not take the risk to have another asset go cold and get low or zero value.

The Leafs are going to be bad for the foreseable future and Bozak is not going to get much better. He's a tweener. Might as well get younger/future assets and really not lose anytime.

I don't hate Bozak but I think we can move on from him without setting us back years.

Give Kadri and Holland the keys, see how they develop in the new roles and re-evaluate their value as you move forward in the rebuild.

I actually think Bozak would play better with other line mates.. Kessel is just useless this year.

I think Kessel is the guy we have to worry about the most... if he keeps regressing at this pace, no one will want him with his cap hit.

roosterman

Feb 4, 2008
St Louis will retire a NYR
Martin is not good defensively, nor is he the kind of tough leader we should want
Briere is a borderline NHLer at this point, and he's a forward
Beauchemin isn't bad, but I'd still rather have Polak than him
Regehr I'd like, but I don't know if he leaves LA for anything less than an overpayment

My point was that there are options for leadership for the Leafs. They will not be in their prime but there are options. If we are truly doing a rebuild then we are not looking for prime time players anyways.

I have no issue with keeping Polak to be honest as long as we get rid of Phaneuf, Kessel, Lupul for picks / prospects. To me the Leafs should have the following strategy:

1) TML management announces we are in a rebuild for the next 3-5 years. This is key to ensure we manage expectations for the fans and media and we ensure people are not expecting big things for the next 3-5 years. Otherwise the media will kill them.
2) Trade people like Kessel, phaneuf, lupul, Bozak, winnik, santa for prospects, picks and cap room. This would get us roughly $25M in cap space. This will help with points 3, 4 and 5 below.
3) Sign reasonable UFA's for leadership for the next 3-5 years.
4) Sign the the next winnik's, santa's to cheap one year deals and trade them at the trade deadlines during the rebuild for picks. Players that have something to prove and are motivated to do well. Do this every year for the next 3-5 years.
5) Trade teams who have bad contracts that are reasonable along with prospects coming our way similiar to the deal we made for franson. If you recall... D Cody Fransen and C Matthew Lombardi from NASH for D Brett Lebda and F Robert Slaney. This was a steal for us.
6) Keep clarkson (like we have a choice) and give him every opportunity to regain some of his game. If we are really lucky maybe he improves to a point where his contract is not as bad and maybe moveable. If not at least he can be a leader in the room.
7) Next 3-5 years... finish low and draft high and develop, develop, develop a large, strong class of prospects. DO NOT RUSH THEM!

That's my opinion.

Last edited:

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I actually think Bozak would play better with other line mates.. Kessel is just useless this year.

I think Kessel is the guy we have to worry about the most... if he keeps regressing at this pace, no one will want him with his cap hit.

The numbers Bozak has without Kessel are alarming bad. I don't have them right now but I remember clearly they are incredibly bad.

It's time to move on from 29-30 year old tweeners in our state right now. If there's interest and solid future assets coming our way, you pull the trigger now, ESPECIALLY if you plan on dismantling the core in the following months.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
Does anyone think there's the potential for a big deal with Nashville. Maybe not at the TDL but in the off-season.

Jones
1st
Fiala

for

Kessel
Franson

Nashville keeps its roster in tact as mostly prospects or players not contributing that come our way; Franson gives them a Jones replacement (and he's likely better than Jones at the moment or at least on par); and they add Kessel.

We get Jones for our top-pairing, two forwards to fill out our roster (since hopefully a lot of our players are getting shipped out) and then 1st and prospect.

Franson is a UFA, so we couldn't make this deal in the off-season. I do think this deal makes sense for both teams at the deadline.

Sep 14, 2009
Guelph
Franson is a UFA, so we couldn't make this deal in the off-season. I do think this deal makes sense for both teams at the deadline.

Tacked that sentence on without thinking. Thanks for pointing that out.

It would be about 12 million going into Nashville; while about 7 comes out (almost all of which is invested in a 4th liner (Nystrom) and AHL player (Stalberg)).

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Offer them a healthy Lupul for Kane and a 3rd round pick.

We don't get Kane for the year but at least we buy pretty low on him and a player for the rebuild and transition. The Jets get a top 6 winger that can put up really good numbers even if he's made of glass. I'd say it's incredibly fair considering Kane's attitude issues and injuries.

With that said, I highly doubt Shanahan touches Kane with a 10 foot pole. So much risk there.

A what?

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
I'm not sure about LTIR but IR you can. Even those are incredibly rare though.

Jets can wait to place him on LTIR if a team is willing to work something out.

Like I mentioned earlier, maybe the Leafs offer someone like Lupul, who to me could have a big impact on that Jets team for a playoff push, for a pick and an injured Kane.

Leafs get a younger Lupul essentially but with huge question marks. Jets get an often injured 60 point player with a similar cap hit. Leafs get a pick for their trouble of picking a player not playing for the next few months and a head case.

Lupul probably doesn't waive or have the Jets on his NTC list though... I mean, who does?

Kane can't have that little value. He's definitely lost a lot of it but I doubt it's that low. He's still a very effective player on defense, 5v5 etc, he just has some issues with maturity and attitude. He doesn't fit on the Jets, but he isn't a bad value asset IMO. He can still get a decent price. That price is just lower than what it should be if he didn't have those issues.

Although if we could get Kane for Lupul, I'd be all over that in a New York minute

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Tidbits from Dreger

http://www.tsn.ca/dreger-report-any-takers-for-injured-kane-1.201337

Predators On The Prowl

There has been much speculation on Nashville's interest in Toronto Maple Leafs defenceman Cody Franson.

However, general manager David Poile is as much or more interested in one of Toronto's forwards to strengthen his lineup. Poile isn't looking to add a major piece and risk disrupting what he has up front, but there could be a fit with centre Mike Santorelli or winger Daniel Winnik. Poile and Leafs GM Dave Nonis met in Nashville on Thursday night, but neither appears to be in any rush to make something happen.

The Maple Leafs did have some discussions with Santorelli's agent J.P. Barry about re-signing the pending unrestricted free agent, but the Leafs have not made an offer to extend. It's believed Santorelli is looking for a three-year term with a minimum of $3 million per season to stay in Toronto.

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada

What? Kessel's still playing at a 70 point pace...he's still top 20 in scoring lol.

The Senators just paid Bobby Ryan 7.25 long term to score about 20 less points a year than Kessel average over the past few years. We'll be fine.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008

Jones
1st
Fiala

for

Kessel
Franson

nope, not the way you have it structured

Franson is a pending UFA, he will either be signed by the trade deadline or traded.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
He gave it his all, but did he demand the same from his teammates? That to me is just as important. When Polak called out his teammates to the media a month or so ago I liked it. And if he spoke out to the media about it, you know he'd have brought it up in the dressing room too. You don't just skip right to bringing it outside the dressing room

I understand your point

but I believe it's more important to lead by example , then hollow words (if they don't back up their bark)

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
My point was that there are options for leadership for the Leafs. They will not be in their prime but there are options. If we are truly doing a rebuild then we are not looking for prime time players anyways.

I have no issue with keeping Polak to be honest as long as we get rid of Phaneuf, Kessel, Lupul for picks / prospects. To me the Leafs should have the following strategy:

1) TML management announces we are in a rebuild for the next 3-5 years. This is key to ensure we manage expectations for the fans and media and we ensure people are not expecting big things for the next 3-5 years. Otherwise the media will kill them.
2) Trade people like Kessel, phaneuf, lupul, Bozak, winnik, santa for prospects, picks and cap room. This would get us roughly $25M in cap space. This will help with points 3, 4 and 5 below.
3) Sign reasonable UFA's for leadership for the next 3-5 years.
4) Sign the the next winnik's, santa's to cheap one year deals and trade them at the trade deadlines during the rebuild for picks. Players that have something to prove and are motivated to do well. Do this every year for the next 3-5 years.
5) Trade teams who have bad contracts that are reasonable along with prospects coming our way similiar to the deal we made for franson. If you recall... D Cody Fransen and C Matthew Lombardi from NASH for D Brett Lebda and F Robert Slaney. This was a steal for us.
6) Keep clarkson (like we have a choice) and give him every opportunity to regain some of his game. If we are really lucky maybe he improves to a point where his contract is not as bad and maybe moveable. If not at least he can be a leader in the room.
7) Next 3-5 years... finish low and draft high and develop, develop, develop a large, strong class of prospects. DO NOT RUSH THEM!

That's my opinion.

I think it would best to just not announce anything. No matter what you do the TO media will spin things negatively, so why bother. Just go forward with the plan (Although I'm not a huge fan of some of your plan but that's not the point) and let them draw their own conclusions. You don't set a timetable that they can hold you too and you can develop on your own terms rather then the fans/media.

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012
We should be calling LA like crazy right now.

They're down to a 25% chance to make the playoffs and I doubt they would want to waste a year of that core.

Franson for Kempe makes a lot of sense

roosterman

Feb 4, 2008
I think it would best to just not announce anything. No matter what you do the TO media will spin things negatively, so why bother. Just go forward with the plan (Although I'm not a huge fan of some of your plan but that's not the point) and let them draw their own conclusions. You don't set a timetable that they can hold you too and you can develop on your own terms rather then the fans/media.

Point taken.

Sep 14, 2009
Guelph
We should be calling LA like crazy right now.

They're down to a 25% chance to make the playoffs and I doubt they would want to waste a year of that core.

Franson for Kempe makes a lot of sense

I wonder if LA would have interest in Kessel? They're a pretty low-scoring team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad