GWT: FA Cup Round Three

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Even if we were judging only on one season for some reason he showed more than enough against Everton, did you not watch that game? Merseyside derby, huge pressure under price tag, first game with his new team and he puts in one of the best ever debuts, shows all his qualities not only not wilting under the pressure but thriving on it. It was a very telling performance.

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
Even if we were judging only on one season for some reason he showed more than enough against Everton, did you not watch that game? Merseyside derby, huge pressure under price tag, first game with his new team and he puts in one of the best ever debuts, shows all his qualities not only not wilting under the pressure but thriving on it. It was a very telling performance.

He put in a great performance in one game for Liverpool. Might as well be the best CB in the world, forget top 10.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
At the time for the move, it certainly was in the ballpark, but it’s easy to say it wasn’t an overpayment when they worked out.
As I said, it was the price for young uber-talents : Hazard and Lucas 40M because offensive, defense was 30M.
Lucas didn't turn out. The other two did.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Please name your top 10 CB.
Hmmm. In no order:

Hummels, Silva, Varane, Alderweireld, van Dijk, Boateng, Vertonghen, Azpiliqueta (now), Bonnucci (ignoring current form) and then a bunch could be considered for the last spot.

IMO of course.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
So VVD is better than Pique, Marquinhos, Godin, Luiz (best CB in the EPL during VVD's best season), Umtiti, Skriniar, Ramos, Savic, etc?

Reactions: Wee Baby Seamus

Theon

No longer Reek
Jan 17, 2008
Stockholm
This thread will be amusing to read once Liverpool play a team that doesn't have the ghost of Wayne Rooney playing as striker.

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
So VVD is better than Pique, Marquinhos, Godin, Luiz (best CB in the EPL during VVD's best season), Umtiti, Skriniar, Ramos, Savic, etc?

I'd take van Dijk over Savic, but I agree with this list. van Dijk is a great signing for Liverpool and I'd love him at Chelsea, don't get me wrong, but he's not a top 10 CB (which is okay, Liverpool didn't need the best CB in the world, they just needed a clear upgrade, which they got). Alack, van Dijk lies at the intersection of Liverpool player and Dutchman, and thus is a Curtinho perfect storm :laugh:

Back to the FA Cup, a replay is probably the worst possible result we could have gotten. Can someone explain to me why the FA Cup doesn't have extra-time?

Reactions: Evilo

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Yes. Also Luiz was never the best CB in the PL. He had a great season though.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
And so yes, VVD is better than all of these.

Is that what you wrote? Can you confirm this?

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
I don’t know why I keep seeming to have to defend someone who puts their foot in their mouth, but I don’t know that team of the season is the best judge. It also doesn’t hurt when Conte plays defensively and Luiz has much more help (look who else is in the team of the season) than VVD ever got at Southampton.

I think a case could be made, but I think it’s still grasping. VVD and his upside is why you buy him less so about what he can do right now.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Even if you dismiss the team of the season, most pundits would say Luiz was the best CB in the league last year. Certainly better than VVD, but for some reason, Curt ranks VVD higher.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
I mean, I would rather VVD than Luiz. But that’s me. In a backline that has a few dodgy parties, I don’t know that Luiz provides the consistency and leadership that Liverpool would want, but I would agree that he was really good last season. I also do think some of that is also down to who his manager is and who he has around him. It’s no coincidence that basically whomever Chelsea have put in there they have looked pretty good. I might look better with Kante in front of me cleaning up everything

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Haha sure, Luiz was sheltered to some degree. Same with PSG. But that's also where he can show his immense talents. On a structured team, he's incredible.
I disagree about the leadership part though. He's a tremendous leader IMO.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Haha sure, Luiz was sheltered to some degree. Same with PSG. But that's also where he can show his immense talents. On a structured team, he's incredible.
But in which way? Fire up the rest of the players, be a good teammate, stand up in big moments sure, but I don’t know that I want him organizing my backline or making sure players are where they should be.

He takes some work to fit in where he can show his talents. If you don’t, you get the fifa game Luiz doing what he wants. I do think it’s telling somewhat that Conte has bought, has wanted to buy and has kept him out of the team. Some of that’s injuries, but some of it might also be toward wanting a different player back there.

I think for how Klopp wants to play, VVD is a better fit right now, but I certainly can’t say Luiz wouldn’t get games if he was in Liverpool’s squad either.

All in all, I’m worrying about how Virgil plays out here in Liverpool and less about Luiz. Though some of his issues may also be how the keeper behind him looks and which of the meh choices they put next to him.

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
But in which way? Fire up the rest of the players, be a good teammate, stand up in big moments sure, but I don’t know that I want him organizing my backline or making sure players are where they should be.

He takes some work to fit in where he can show his talents. If you don’t, you get the fifa game Luiz doing what he wants. I do think it’s telling somewhat that Conte has bought, has wanted to buy and has kept him out of the team. Some of that’s injuries, but some of it might also be toward wanting a different player back there.

I think for how Klopp wants to play, VVD is a better fit right now, but I certainly can’t say Luiz wouldn’t get games if he was in Liverpool’s squad either.

All in all, I’m worrying about how Virgil plays out here in Liverpool and less about Luiz. Though some of his issues may also be how the keeper behind him looks and which of the meh choices they put next to him.

I don't think anyone here believes that VVD is a bad CB or was a bad buy for Liverpool. Quite the opposite, and you fans should be excited, he's great. But one guy just happens to get carried away...

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
It’s hard not to get carried away. If you were to check all the boxes for a centerback, I think that not only looks like one but checks all the emotional boxes that he and others have. Plus the concept is that he picked Liverpool and they wanted him all summer. He did look very good yesterday.

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
It’s hard not to get carried away. If you were to check all the boxes for a centerback, I think that not only looks like one but checks all the emotional boxes that he and others have. Plus the concept is that he picked Liverpool and they wanted him all summer. He did look very good yesterday.

That's fine, he's already a great CB and may get even better. He's a clear upgrade in a position that Liverpool needed to upgrade. But he's not a top 10 CB in the world right now, that's just silly.

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga

Oh really? I mean he's a better leader nowadays, but he flopped pretty hard as captain in the biggest game of his life (the 7-1 drubbing at the hands of Germany in the '14 WC, also known as the Mineiraço). To me he's a bit like Bonucci on Milan, a strong presence but not necessarily an ideal NT or club team captain.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad