GWT: FA Cup Round Three

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
If there is a double hit on the penalty kick, and it does not go in, do they still get to re-kick it?

Dowell certainly wasn’t trying to pull a trick off, he slipped.

phisherman

Apr 17, 2015
If there is a double hit on the penalty kick, and it does not go in, do they still get to re-kick it?

Dowell certainly wasn’t trying to pull a trick off, he slipped.

There shouldn't be a re-kick. The first contact would count as the penalty attempt.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis

Ball first my ass. He comes from behind and takes his right leg out first.
tghRpMJ.png

You’re right. I stand corrected. The angle I saw made it seem ball first but clearly wasn’t.

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
Nothing new here. But he won 10 years ago or something, not his fault, wouldnt change anything if fired him and other amazing reasons to keep this mummy as gm...
He won nothing in Europe and last EPL in 2004 that's 14 years with one of the biggest budget.

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
He won nothing in Europe and last EPL in 2004 that's 14 years with one of the biggest budget.

He did not have that budget between 2006 and 2013, and he had to sell off his best players. Since 2013 though, I think it's fair to criticize him. But Man United haven't won the PL since then either with an even bigger budget.

AlanHUK

5-14-6-1
Nov 27, 2010
Nottingham, England
They did mention the European cup and response of you weren’t even alive, but admittedly I couldn’t make out some of it just from the chants alone.
These ones?

Forest supporters: champions of Europe, you'll never sing that!
Arsenal supporters: champions of Europe, you weren't even born!
Forest supporters: champions of Europe, you won't be alive!

Reactions: GB

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I also heard an interesting rendition of the hokey pokey

Pyromaniac

May 29, 2012
I hate Arsenal but have a lot of sympathy for the fans. They are being driven into the ground by a dinosaur of a manager and a horrible owner in Kroenke.

Pyromaniac

May 29, 2012
It's sad that all Kroenke's teams suck (Nuggets, Avs, Arsenal)... guy only cares about money.
Add the Colorado Rapids to that list as well.

The Rams being the only exception and they too weren't expected to be very good.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
I mean, he's willing to spend on the teams in general, it isn't that. I just don't know that the has the desire to spend what it would take to improve the club.

He's also somewhat stuck in the middle with Wenger. You can't fire/sack a legend. Even if most of the supporters would want you to, Wenger has the right to stay as long as he wants because of what he has done for the club. That's the hard part. There's no one who is able to force him out.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
He's also somewhat stuck in the middle with Wenger. You can't fire/sack a legend. Even if most of the supporters would want you to, Wenger has the right to stay as long as he wants because of what he has done for the club. That's the hard part. There's no one who is able to force him out.

It's not 1952 though. Nobody does the same job forever as long as they want. You can totally say Thanks for all the work you've done but now it's time to start afresh. I'd say there's quite a case that it would've even been merciful to do so a couple years earlier when you first start to get a whiff the geezer's stopped changing his socks ifyaknowwhatimean

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Could not disagree more with that sentiment. There's no doubt he did amazing with them the first ~10 years he was in charge, but the last ~10 have been basically the minimum acceptable (and probably not even that) for the stature of club they now are.

Maybe you can't straight fire him, but you can basically force him into a "promotion" to something like director of football or some other title.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
It's not 1952 though. Nobody does the same job forever as long as they want. You can totally say Thanks for all the work you've done but now it's time to start afresh. I'd say there's quite a case that it would've even been merciful to do so a couple years earlier when you first start to get a whiff the geezer's stopped changing his socks ifyaknowwhatimean

He's a club legend. He did more for putting that club on the map than basically anyone. You can't fire him and hope to not have it blow up in their faces.

Yes, you probably have to talk him into resigning or some type of transition. No, it probably wouldn't be the most pleasant, but you have to do it at some stage.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Sure, Wenger needs to go.
But don't forget the club stature you're talking about Hatterson is his doings.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Oh I certainly recognize that Arsenal is only Arsenal because of Wenger, that's why you can't straight fire him, but you can put a lot of internal pressure on him to be "promoted" out of the manager role.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Exactly. And it doesn't have to be (or didn't have to be) unpleasantly done either. You know, "Anything else you'd like to accomplish in your career? Maybe now's the time for it..." At this point it's come to too much of a head though. Only situation I could foresee making it easy would be if Arsenal were to pull off the EL this year. But then he'd want to stick around even longer, so it wouldn't work out anyway

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I mean, he's willing to spend on the teams in general, it isn't that. I just don't know that the has the desire to spend what it would take to improve the club.

Kroenke only cares about the bottom-line. There is some truth to the spend money to make money line, and he'll always spend just enough to maximize profits/return in some way. For the Rams it was putting a terrible product on the field to justify a move to LA, for Arsenal, it's just enough spending to be with the big boys, but not enough to eat up the profits.

Wenger provides stability for his bottom-line. He doesn't really win big anymore, but never really loses big either.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad