F1 (Formula 1) coming to Las Vegas; November 2023, night race down Strip

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City

F1 overestimated fan interest. Ticket prices slashed 60%. Race start of 10pm PT more for European fans than US fans.

(Locals not happy with construction and disruption.)

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs

F1 overestimated fan interest. Ticket prices slashed 60%. Race start of 10pm PT more for European fans than US fans.

(Locals not happy with construction and disruption.)
This is entirely inaccurate. Noon PT would be best for Europe (the same time as USGP).

They wanted a night race for the Vegas vibe, it doesn't benefit viewers anywhere except maybe the Far East & AUZ/NZ. It'll be 6am in the UK, 7am in continental Europe.

PCSPounder

Stadium Groupie
Apr 12, 2012
The Outskirts of Nutria Nanny
This is entirely inaccurate. Noon PT would be best for Europe (the same time as USGP).

They wanted a night race for the Vegas vibe, it doesn't benefit viewers anywhere except maybe the Far East & AUZ/NZ. It'll be 6am in the UK, 7am in continental Europe.
Is this even designed for live viewing? Seems like it’s been all about the visuals that are getting posted on social media. Some of those are, to say the least, bombastic. Very Vegas.

Mind you, I’m not sure Americans can really relate to this race. The experience of most people who reach the Strip is to walk faster than the perpetually jammed Strip car traffic.

hangman005

Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
Is this even designed for live viewing? Seems like it’s been all about the visuals that are getting posted on social media. Some of those are, to say the least, bombastic. Very Vegas.

Mind you, I’m not sure Americans can really relate to this race. The experience of most people who reach the Strip is to walk faster than the perpetually jammed Strip car traffic.
I think the related more to the practice, with the condition of road heavily damaging their car :laugh:

Edenjung

Jun 7, 2018
This. I haven't seen any really good shot of the strip during the race.
Its just straight you see some of the neon light but nothing else.
When you visit the strip in GTA SA you see more of it than here. The racing was fine though.

But also them treating the fans like moneybags and throwing them out on thursday makes me angry. And instead of a refund they get a coupon. A coupon for their own store.
I hope that the class action lawsuit rips them a new one. A new one so big that you could park a bus there. Horizontal.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami

The late start was to get the night vibe with the lights and Vegas, plus ESPN wasn’t going to bump college football for F1 on US tv.

Reactions: Voight

Chet Manley

Apr 15, 2007
Regina, SK
The late start was to get the night vibe with the lights and Vegas, plus ESPN wasn’t going to bump college football for F1 on US tv.
I assumed part of the reason was to avoid shutting down traffic during the day. Closing the strip must have a different cost depending on time. No idea if that's true. Thoroughly enjoyed staying up and watching a night race with cold tires.

Reactions: Voight and jkrdevil

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I assumed part of the reason was to avoid shutting down traffic during the day. Closing the strip must have a different cost depending on time. No idea if that's true. Thoroughly enjoyed staying up and watching a night race with cold tires.

Given its Las Vegas I would've imagined shutting down traffic at night is significantly worse.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Given its Las Vegas I would've imagined shutting down traffic at night is significantly worse.

True, but it happens a few times a year anyways, notably every New Years Eve when turn the Strip into a giant pedestrian area. There's pretty robust service roads on either side of the Strip

Reactions: Voight

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City

LVB traffic is bad all the time, worse at night. And Koval Lane (parallel to LVB) is a significant alternate route and is also part of the race route (it's closed for another week after the race.)

Local PBS weekly news show with episode on the race (filmed Thursday before 2nd practice). Talk about the traffic impact, the local impact (and lack thereof), timing of the race (time of day, time of year), and more. They think it'll be months before the final $$s are known. Reports that shows/restaurants report lots of cancellations due to race impacts.

Reactions: Chet Manley

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad