Confirmed with Link: f*** you brad treliving (Gaudreau to test FA)

Status
Not open for further replies.

lightstorm

Oct 17, 2016
As a Canuck fan, I know we're mortal enemies, but it sucks to see him walk like this after you guys bent over backwards to try and sign him. Reminds me a bit of how Tavares left, but more amicable.

Meh, Iginla did the same thing, played the Flames then changed his mind and we lost him essentially for nothing, lost Brodie and Gio for nothing, Regehr for almost nothing, Phaneuf for Stajan and pile of poo, Gilmour for even bigger pile of poo back in the day.

This is nothing new.

NewEraGM

Jun 19, 2010
Need to tear it town. Tkachuk about to walk and they could still get a massive haul for him but can’t let him get to UFA. Outside of that, not much except for Mangi. Older group.

Need a reset but they do have a few nice prospects coming in Pelletier, Zary, Coronato

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016
Sabre fan to commiserate with you. Losing Drury and Briere started the long slide into the abyss. I hope you are spared that. It doesn’t have to go that way. Good luck!

D0ctorCool

Dec 3, 2008
Vancouver
Meh, Iginla did the same thing, played the Flames then changed his mind and we lost him essentially for nothing, lost Brodie and Gio for nothing, Regehr for almost nothing, Phaneuf for Stajan and pile of poo, Gilmour for even bigger pile of poo back in the day.

This is nothing new.
Well that's a depressing perspective. Well, at least Gaudreau gave you one day of notice before Free Agency? :facepalm:

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
Again, can't and won't blame Treliving (too much) for Gaudreau walking. Gaudreau said all the right things, the team was competitive and most importantly, I doubt ownership would have even entertained the thought given he's the guy who sells tickets.

But you absolutely fire Treliving for not taking the rumored Devils deal. How much more optimistic would folks be right now knowing they had Wright and likely another high pick next year to build around?

Regardless, I hope in the upcoming weeks, months, and years some if not all of Hanifin, Tkachuk, Lindholm, Mangiapane, Backlund, Tanev, Markstrom, Toffoli, and Coleman are moved.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary

This is nothing new.
Iginla was 35 and wanted to win a cup…

Different circumstances entirely.

Reactions: cheechoo

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Again, can't and won't blame Treliving (too much) for Gaudreau walking. Gaudreau said all the right things, the team was competitive and most importantly, I doubt ownership would have even entertained the thought given he's the guy who sells tickets.

But you absolutely fire Treliving for not taking the rumored Devils deal. How much more optimistic would folks be right now knowing they had Wright and likely another high pick next year to build around?

Regardless, I hope in the upcoming weeks, months, and years some if not all of Hanifin, Tkachuk, Lindholm, Mangiapane, Backlund, Tanev, Markstrom, Toffoli, and Coleman are moved.
What was the rumored Devils deal?

PecnoTrunk

Dec 20, 2014
I’ll say it again , at the expense of getting insults from posters , American players don’t want to play in Canada. Yes to European players. But Americans don’t want to finish in Canada.

Reactions: Supermassive

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
I’ll say it again , at the expense of getting insults from posters , American players don’t want to play in Canada. Yes to European players. But Americans don’t want to finish in Canada.
Generalizations like this don't work. Brady Tkachuk just signed for 8 years in Ottawa. Boeser keeps re-signing in Vancouver. Wheeler kept re-signing with the Jets.

Flames are just a poorly run organization for the most part. And most poorly run organizations will struggle to retain talent no matter the location.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Poor asset management, but what else is new in Calgary.

I think he’s going to Philly. He’ll take a hometown under 9.5x7.

My main thing here is the next steps? What are the next steps for this franchise now? You have a Western Canadian mega star at the top of the draft in 2023, a guy who could change the direction of this franchise for the next decade and a half. You have a team that had an unreal run this year, but is only a year removed from being a horrible club. You have a bunch of assets that could kick start a rebuild.

You just know the direction of this team is going to be try and be competitive until literally the wheels fall off, we draft 6th overall in a weak draft and call it a day.

Just brutal. Just a brutal franchise, it’s not even fun being a fan of this team. One step forward, two steps back around every turn.

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
Generalizations like this don't work. Brady Tkachuk just signed for 8 years in Ottawa. Boeser keeps re-signing in Vancouver. Wheeler kept re-signing with the Jets.

Flames are just a poorly run organization for the most part. And most poorly run organizations will struggle to retain talent no matter the location.
Johnny's ask was also 8x8 in RFA negotiations. Him not wanting to spend his whole career here isn't the same thing as Adam Fox straight up refusing to play here.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
So as a Flyers fan who is pretty sure he's coming here, know two things:

1) If Johnny Hockey insisted on leaving for reasons other than money/hockey, y'all couldn't do anything about it. I know it feels good to blame the GM, but the heart wants what it wants sometimes.

2) We take no joy in acquiring Johnny if he comes here. We don't want Fletcher to sign him because we're a bad team to sign him. However I hope he's successful here (or wherever he goes) and you all still have love for him.

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
Johnny's ask was also 8x8 in RFA negotiations. Him not wanting to spend his whole career here isn't the same thing as Adam Fox straight up refusing to play here.
Yeah and Steinberg apparently said the other day that Gaudreau was more than willing to re-sign last summer and that they came fairly close.

But this franchise is poorly run so and Treliving is kind of a moron who likely deluded himself into thinking the Flames were the Lightning and could risk taking a hardline stance with their star players. So instead of "overpaying" Gaudreau by 500K or 1M when he was an RFA or a year away from being an UFA, they embarrassed themselves in the end and are left holding the bag.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Any top team in any sport sets deadlines for these things so that there are contingencies in place when shit hits the fan. Treliving had 6 years to prepare for this possible direction and is talking about how the dog ate his homework with 5 hours to go until free agency.

Treliving strong-armed Gaudreau into his 6-year deal and now he got a taste of his own medicine

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
So as a Flyers fan who is pretty sure he's coming here, know two things:

1) If Johnny Hockey insisted on leaving for reasons other than money/hockey, y'all couldn't do anything about it. I know it feels good to blame the GM, but the heart wants what it wants sometimes.

2) We take no joy in acquiring Johnny if he comes here. We don't want Fletcher to sign him because we're a bad team to sign him. However I hope he's successful here (or wherever he goes) and you all still have love for him.
He's almost certainly going to be massively booed the next time he comes to the Saddledome simply because a lot of fans are pretty pissed that this went down to the wire and that he "Tavares'd" them. Whether or not it's justified is irrelevant; fans bought their tickets - they can boo or cheer whoever they want.

But I wouldn't boo him. Mostly because I'm not giving the organization another dime until Edwards sells but still.

Last edited:

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
f*** Johnny for playing Treliving like a fool
f*** Treliving for being a fool
I disagree that Treliving was "fooled," though. I think this all came down to Gaudreau's value fluctuating with really poor timing for us.

I personally wouldn't have wanted the Flames to trade Gaudreau last summer when his value was low. He was a guy carving out a track record as a top-line player who got dominated by opposing top lines, and on top of that he had one year of team control and strong indications that he wanted to be able to pick his destination. Basically, all the reasons why we would have been happy to trade him were reasons other teams would have wanted a low cost.

I don't believe we would've gotten much more than a late first and some meh prospects, and I feel like that, combined with another mediocre season without him, wouldn't really have pushed this organization forward at all. And on top of that, if we had dealt him for a fair return at the time and then he immediately had a 115-point season, you all would have been even more mad at Treliving than you are today.

I absolutely would not have been in favour of trading him during this season when that value had recovered. And I don't believe that Gaudreau had interest in signing an extension when his value had depreciated. So all in all, we were just kind of f***ed by the timing of it all. If he'd had this season a year prior, the Flames would have had much better options with how to proceed.

Really, the only reason I'm mad today is because Gaudreau expressed very clearly that he would love to return to Calgary with the right deal. He didn't say he wanted to focus on hockey until the offseason. He didn't say it was something he would need to work out with his family. He said that an extension here would be something he would want to do. Today proved that that was a complete bald-faced lie. I just hope that Gaudreau was more honest with management behind the scenes (though it doesn't sound like it).

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
The f*** you belongs to Gaudreau and Gaudreau alone. Don't water it down by sharing it with Treliving.
This. Johnny played hardball in negotiations to the very bitter end in order to set up a market and number for himself out east knowing full well he wasn’t returning to Calgary. This was not a last minute decision, it was all calculated. It’s a greaseball move no matter how the Johnny fan boys wants to spin it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad