F William Moore - USNTDP, USHL (2025 Draft)

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Has his first goal (and point) after going scoreless in his opening 4 games. Did some nice work in the corner to win a puck battle, got the puck back to the point, went to the front of the net and deflected the point shot in the net.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Minor midget to the USHL is a massive jump for these kids. They aren’t expected to win. These guys play competitively vs NAHL teams. Should really just let the u17s play in the NA and 18s in the USHL
Is it a tough test for 16 year olds to go up against teams filled with 18, 19 and 20 year olds? You betcha. But being selected for the USNDTP makes you one of the "Chosen 25" for the age group in the eyes of USA Hockey and many 1st rounders have come out of there in the past, so if you are that level of player, it's a test you should be up for. They're not expected to win the league or anything, but being competitive is not out of the question. Last year's U17 team did a good job holding their own. The current game against Sioux City is a good test for this batch after the debacle at Youngstown two weeks ago.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Has anyone seen the US games at the U17 tournament?

Moore has 4g, 5a so far through 3 games. He's now at 13 points (6g, 7a) in 12 games on the season after a slow start (given his substantial hype) with just 4 points in his first 9 games mostly in the USHL. He missed some games to open the season, so not sure how much that

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007
Has anyone seen the US games at the U17 tournament?

Moore has 4g, 5a so far through 3 games. He's now at 13 points (6g, 7a) in 12 games on the season after a slow start (given his substantial hype) with just 4 points in his first 9 games mostly in the USHL. He missed some games to open the season, so not sure how much that
I went to the one vs Czech, USA was completely dominant so it was hard to say but Moore looked good, he's not on pp 1 but pp2 with Mooney and they popped a few.

Overall there are 4-5 USA forwards who could end up the best of the bunch IMO

Reactions: William H Bonney

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
I went to the one vs Czech, USA was completely dominant so it was hard to say but Moore looked good, he's not on pp 1 but pp2 with Mooney and they popped a few.

Overall there are 4-5 USA forwards who could end up the best of the bunch IMO

Nice to hear. Last time I saw the U17s it was basically just Fondrk and Potter as the guys up front who looked like the real deal but that was even earlier in the season and the U17s were (and are) still trying to adjust to playing in the USHL against far older competition. Nice to see some other forwards starting to show out as well.

Bonin21

May 1, 2014
Might as well come to the Gophers with Mooney and maybe have Kvasnicka accelerate and join too.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I don't know what to think of him. You see all the skills on different shifts, but he doesn't do it as often as the best forwards on the team do. I think too though that he's one of these players that has closer to B+ in every category than a real standout area. If he can work on his shift to shift consistency, he could be very good and a first round pick. He may end up being that just because of his potential. Can't see him being any later than like 2nd or 3rd round because he's a 6'2 center, a good skater, and has B+, at worst, offense.

Postulates

Jun 7, 2022
He needs to fill out his frame a lot and I think that's the reason he hasn't been doing well in USHL competition

Against his age group clearly is an alpha though

He's what 160 lbs? that would be fine if he was 5'10" but he's 6'2"

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
He needs to fill out his frame a lot and I think that's the reason he hasn't been doing well in USHL competition

Against his age group clearly is an alpha though

He's what 160 lbs? that would be fine if he was 5'10" but he's 6'2"
He is 16 and probably hasn't spent any time in the gym until this year. The weight/diet program that NTDP has in place is one of the best in the world, significantly better than any other junior team on the planet and better than probably all of D1. I'm not worried about him filling out.

95snipes

Dec 11, 2019
Is he expected to get called up to the U18s?

When does that decision typically happen?
I'm interested to see what happens. The U18s might not have as many high end top 10 pick types this year, but they have a bunch of good players. They're pretty deep. And the U17s have some good talents, but no one that jumps out the way Hagens or Eiserman did last year.

Right now the U18s are running Hagens/Bednarik/Van Vliet/Baker at center. I don't think Moore is an upgrade over any of them to be honest.

Early in the season, I would have said Vansaghi would be the obvious one to get demoted, but he's really picked his game up. I think they most likely thing that happens is Pardue goes down and they call up Potter to play wing in the top 9. That's my prediction, but we'll see.

On defense, I'm not too sure. Maybe Whipple or Lapointe go down and Trethewey goes up. They could use another right shot.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I'm interested to see what happens. The U18s might not have as many high end top 10 pick types this year, but they have a bunch of good players. They're pretty deep. And the U17s have some good talents, but no one that jumps out the way Hagens or Eiserman did last year.

Right now the U18s are running Hagens/Bednarik/Van Vliet/Baker at center. I don't think Moore is an upgrade over any of them to be honest.

Early in the season, I would have said Vansaghi would be the obvious one to get demoted, but he's really picked his game up. I think they most likely thing that happens is Pardue goes down and they call up Potter to play wing in the top 9. That's my prediction, but we'll see.

On defense, I'm not too sure. Maybe Whipple or Lapointe go down and Trethewey goes up. They could use another right shot.
I think they'll make some changes. They do every year. I can't see this being the year they change that formula. I think the forwards are where it's easiest to see some changes.

Epperson and Pardue look like two of the forwards that are easiest to send down. I'd include McMorrow and potentially Vansaghi as candidates, although I think they are closer to long shots to be sent down. I think Potter, Fondrk, Moore, McKinney, and Murtgah all have a chance. I don't think this is a year where there are any extremely obvious candidates for the forwards. Fondrk had a hot start, but his numbers have fallen back. That's kind of what I was seeing. Good, not great, scoring winger that wasn't going to continue that. Probably not a callup. Murtagh is another probably not, but I think he's underrated and I think he could fit a bunch of different roles. Moore leads the team in points, but he's inconsistent. Shows up some games and not others. McKinney doesn't have the highest point totals, but they are still pretty good and he's an elite defensive forward. He can fill a role. Potter doesn't have the point totals he should have, but is dominating shifts and looks like the best player on the team.

Defense, I think this is more straightforward. Trethewey will probably be promoted. I don't see the others having too much of a chance, unless they love Amico's potential. I think Laurila is actually the most likely of the defensemen sent down. DRM probably should also be in contention, but he's a 2025 draft-eligible so that might catch him a break.

They might call up a goalie also, whether as third string or the backup. The 17's have three goalies, so they don't need all three to finish out their season, and USAH likes taking 3 to these major tournaments. Boettiger is the one people talk about and has played more games, but Quinlan has better numbers. Won't be Slavick, but I think Boettiger or Quinlan will be called up and be 2nd or 3rd on the depth chart.

My predictions: Potter, McKinney, Trethewey, Boettiger promoted. Epperson, Pardue, Laurila demoted.

Reactions: 95snipes

95snipes

Dec 11, 2019
I think they'll make some changes. They do every year. I can't see this being the year they change that formula. I think the forwards are where it's easiest to see some changes.

Epperson and Pardue look like two of the forwards that are easiest to send down. I'd include McMorrow and potentially Vansaghi as candidates, although I think they are closer to long shots to be sent down. I think Potter, Fondrk, Moore, McKinney, and Murtgah all have a chance. I don't think this is a year where there are any extremely obvious candidates for the forwards. Fondrk had a hot start, but his numbers have fallen back. That's kind of what I was seeing. Good, not great, scoring winger that wasn't going to continue that. Probably not a callup. Murtagh is another probably not, but I think he's underrated and I think he could fit a bunch of different roles. Moore leads the team in points, but he's inconsistent. Shows up some games and not others. McKinney doesn't have the highest point totals, but they are still pretty good and he's an elite defensive forward. He can fill a role. Potter doesn't have the point totals he should have, but is dominating shifts and looks like the best player on the team.

Defense, I think this is more straightforward. Trethewey will probably be promoted. I don't see the others having too much of a chance, unless they love Amico's potential. I think Laurila is actually the most likely of the defensemen sent down. DRM probably should also be in contention, but he's a 2025 draft-eligible so that might catch him a break.

They might call up a goalie also, whether as third string or the backup. The 17's have three goalies, so they don't need all three to finish out their season, and USAH likes taking 3 to these major tournaments. Boettiger is the one people talk about and has played more games, but Quinlan has better numbers. Won't be Slavick, but I think Boettiger or Quinlan will be called up and be 2nd or 3rd on the depth chart.

My predictions: Potter, McKinney, Trethewey, Boettiger promoted. Epperson, Pardue, Laurila demoted.
Yeah I agree with this.

Pardue has been the extra forward most games and doesn't really have a role on the team so he's the obvious one. Epperson wouldn't surprise me either way, but he's the easist to send down as you say. I agree with that. I can't see McMorrow going down. He brings speed, energy, grinds, and penalty kills. He's a natural fit for a 4th line.

I like Rhéaume-Mullen. I'd want him on the team. I'm not a huge fan of Laurila, but I think he does enough to stick around.

I also don't think Boettiger is very good at all.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Missed the Switzerland game as a scratch. Hopefully not serious. It’s not a given, but he was probably about to be promoted. Terrible time to get injured, if so.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I'm very low on Moore. He's 6'2, great skater, and the highest scoring player on the 17's. You'd think that suggests a certain top 10 pick, but I don't see a top 10 pick in the future. I see a player who will go first round at the very least because someone is going to take the gamble, but there's a lot he needs to work on.

His compete level and defensive game needs a lot of work. He gives up on way too many plays in the defensive zone. Not calling him lazy. Potentially he gets frustrated with himself and has trouble staying composed after he makes a bad play, but his defending is very frustrating to watch.

Offensively, he has ability, but closer to B+ ability. When you are 6'2 and skate very well that'll give you high offensive potential and I think it's why he scores a lot against juniors, but I don't see a true elite playmaker or elite shooter or true elite dangles guy or elite hockey sense. He's getting by on his athleticism.

He'll stay at center if he can improve defensively. He's pretty good on draws and has the size, skating, and passing.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
I'm very low on Moore. He's 6'2, great skater, and the highest scoring player on the 17's. You'd think that suggests a certain top 10 pick, but I don't see a top 10 pick in the future. I see a player who will go first round at the very least because someone is going to take the gamble, but there's a lot he needs to work on.

His compete level and defensive game needs a lot of work. He gives up on way too many plays in the defensive zone. Not calling him lazy. Potentially he gets frustrated with himself and has trouble staying composed after he makes a bad play, but his defending is very frustrating to watch.

Offensively, he has ability, but closer to B+ ability. When you are 6'2 and skate very well that'll give you high offensive potential and I think it's why he scores a lot against juniors, but I don't see a true elite playmaker or elite shooter or true elite dangles guy or elite hockey sense. He's getting by on his athleticism.

He'll stay at center if he can improve defensively. He's pretty good on draws and has the size, skating, and passing.
Based on your description, hopefully he doesn’t take the easy way out and play in London in the OHL, where I’m sure he can put up big stats and not develop the grinding, defensive game as much.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Wonder if he's Michigan or BU bound, or if he goes to London in the O
Barrie traded for his rights. And, if London couldn't sell him on the OHL, I doubt Barrie can. The other thing is, he's in grade 11 already, and will graduate in time to play NCAA as an 18 year old. A major reason Matthews, M. Tkachuk, and P. Kane took alternative paths was that as late birthday's in the States they were entering grade 12 for their 18 year old season. A buddy of mine in London went to high-school with Kane at Central in London, Matthews got a GED, and I believe for Tkachuk the Knights had started using Blythe Academy by then for private school with the team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad