F Tommaso De Luca - HC Ambrì-Piotta, NL (2023 undrafted)

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
Pulling for an Italian boy to get to the NHL.

Have there been any Italian-born players in the NHL? I know there have been italian-descent players but any born and trained in Italy?

Going to eliteprospects and sorting by nation, it appears there's only 1 Italian player who ever made it to the NHL: Nelson Debenedet, who played some games for the Red Wings and Penguins sometime between 1973 and 1975.

Debenedet was born in Italy, but apparently developed his hockey skills in Canada.

Reactions: LeafChief

BlizzardSloth

Mar 27, 2019
Zurich, Switzerland
Pulling for an Italian boy to get to the NHL.

Have there been any Italian-born players in the NHL? I know there have been italian-descent players but any born and trained in Italy?
Sometimes Sbisa get's listed as Italian since he was born in Italy and has double citizenship (Italy & Switzerland). He learned to play hockey in Switzerland though and played for the Swiss NT.

whynot4949

Mar 15, 2021
This Italian prospect has 31 points in 39 games in the Swiss U20-Elit league. Even more interesting is that he turned 16 right before the turn of the year. By way of comparison, Noah Greuter, a 2022 draft prospect, has 22 points in 30 games. Does anyone know much about this guy? This seems pretty solid.

[

could be object of ohl draft 2021

Last edited:

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
I came across the kid on EliteProspects recently and decided I'd make a vid on him, loved what I saw. Fluent wrister, high offensive zone IQ, terrific edges. I really like what I saw :)

His numbers in Swiss u20 league are alot better than another 04 Italian prospect Alessandro Segafredo's. Yet Segafredo was chosen in the CHL import draft last month and De Luca wasn't, not sure why that is..

pgfan66

Jun 26, 2019
His numbers in Swiss u20 league are alot better than another 04 Italian prospect Alessandro Segafredo's. Yet Segafredo was chosen in the CHL import draft last month and De Luca wasn't, not sure why that is..
De Luca only got an agent the day before the draft, so his name got to CHL teams a bit too late. Most already have their guy the day before the draft. Otherwise I’m sure someone would’ve picked him.

Reactions: FWF and wings5

FWF

Cheers
May 20, 2019
Prince George, BC
www.youtube.com
Asking anyone that has additional info inside the U20-Elit, just wondering if anyone knows how he tallied up 25PIM in the first game of the season? Like, situation and all if you know what went down.

heart7

Nov 3, 2020
De Luca only got an agent the day before the draft, so his name got to CHL teams a bit too late. Most already have their guy the day before the draft. Otherwise I’m sure someone would’ve picked him.
Watch out for both these Italians

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
Lorenzo Canonica and Atillio Biasca had more impressive 16 year old seasons and didnt even get drafted. Even though I have to admit that both somewhat stagnated in their draft season and Canonica should have been picked late, it shows that Segafredo and de Luca are probably late round picks at best, maybe not even that. De Luca hasn't exactly blown of any doors in the very weak Swiss U20 league so far and has no prospects of playing in the NLA this season. I doubt anybody would be even talking about those two as legit NHL prospects if it wasn't for their "exotic" nationality.

Last edited:

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact coming my way!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
Lorenzo Canonica and Atillio Biasca had more impressive 16 year old seasons and didnt even get drafted. Even though I have to admit that both somewhat stagnated in their draft season and Canonica should have been picked late, it shows that Segafredo and de Luca are late round picks at best, maybe not even that. De Luca hasn't exactly blown of any doors in the very weak Swiss U20 league so far and has no prospects of playing in the NLA this season. I doubt anybody would be even talking about those two if it wasn't for their "exotic" nationality.
Any news on Canonica? Last I heard he was invited at the LAK prospect camp. I wonder what is going on with this Ticino boy.

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
Any news on Canonica? Last I heard he was invited at the LAK prospect camp. I wonder what is going on with this Ticino boy.

Another season in Shawinigan would be my guess, at least eliteprospects has him on the roster for this season. I think he is a serious contender to get drafted as an overager, similar to Knak last year. I don't really see any room for him on Luganos first team right now so the QMJHL probably his best option for the near future.

Reactions: BruinLVGA

BruinLVGA

Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
Another season in Shawinigan would be my guess, at least eliteprospects has him on the roster for this season. I think he is a serious contender to get drafted as an overager, similar to Knak last year. I don't really see any room for him on Luganos first team right now so the QMJHL probably his best option for the near future.
Thank you. Well, I hope that he'll remain in NA and get drafted as an overager indeed. I so hope one day to see a Ticinese in the NHL.

As for Lugano, with Carr out with a concussion - EDIT: he's back! - and Josephs out for 6 weeks, they're actively on the market, but per the GM'S own words, they're going to wait and see who gets cut from NHL teams, and then get someone.

Last edited:

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

FWIW Canonica looked really good at LAK camp, not an easy thing to do in a sea of great prospects. Maybe his only 'problem' is he didn't have one single standout ability that gave him a unique identity but he did most everything at a good level. I'd be surprised if he didn't latch on somewhere.

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
FWIW Canonica looked really good at LAK camp, not an easy thing to do in a sea of great prospects. Maybe his only 'problem' is he didn't have one single standout ability that gave him a unique identity but he did most everything at a good level. I'd be surprised if he didn't latch on somewhere.

Good to hear that he didn't look out of place. I think if he works on his shot it might become a strength of his in the future; he has a pretty good wrister already for junior standarts. How did his skating look if I might ask? This was an aspect of his game that got a bit criticised in the last few years...

Reactions: BruinLVGA

BruinLVGA

Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
Thank you for the report, it bodes well - hopefully - on his possible future in the NHL. So, you didn't notice any glaring weaknesses, I assume?

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Good to hear that he didn't look out of place. I think if he works on his shot it might become a strength of his in the future; he has a pretty good wrister already for junior standarts. How did his skating look if I might ask? This was an aspect of his game that got a bit criticised in the last few years...

Below average but was also surrounded by great skaters. But I don't think it prevented him from getting the job done.

Thank you for the report, it bodes well - hopefully - on his possible future in the NHL. So, you didn't notice any glaring weaknesses, I assume?

It's definitely a possibility, just needs to refine skills, nothing jumped out as bad/'must fix'

Sorry if this is pretty vague, he didn't play too terribly much, but as far as invitees go, he was top of the charts

Gianpaolo

Jan 28, 2006
De Luca hasn't exactly blown of any doors in the very weak Swiss U20 league so far and has no prospects of playing in the NLA this season.
De Luca appeared in one preseason game in late August. I guess he may get a chance but in one of the latest regular season games.

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
Italy is a really underrated hockey country right now. They’re producing hockey players that play in top leagues at a good rate. Was only a matter of time before they produced legit NHL prospects.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Italy is a really underrated hockey country right now. They’re producing hockey players that play in top leagues at a good rate. Was only a matter of time before they produced legit NHL prospects.

Morini and Kostner in NLA.

Larkin in DEL.

Who else?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad