F Sampo Ranta - Sioux City Musketeers, USHL (2018, 78th, COL)

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Ranta and Walker have the most talent up front on the Gophers. Wish Motzko would play them together.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Power forward with offensive skill. Excellent speed and shot. Strong. Not the best at finding, or working with, other teammates.
Has the physical wherewithal tools to move up to he AHL, if not the NHL. Not sure that he has the mental game to adjust to the challenges that the NHL throws at him, but he's got the tools.

Would be a welcome addition to CO as a 3rd liner. Never hurts to have quality depth. If this guy works out, just another talented prospect for them. He and Newhook on a third line in a year or two would be interesting.

Islay1989

Feb 24, 2020
Has all the tools but his hockey IQ leaves a lot to be desired. If you are a club that just plays a run and gun and wants a guy who is just a heat-seeking missile that is locked in on the net he will be ok, if your team plays a structured game where everyone needs to be on the same page he won't be a fit. I just don't see how he can fit in with what Bednar wants, sure he fits the speed, speed and more speed mantra the Avs preach, but they also want players who play well as a unit and players who make quick decisions first and foremost, he does neither. I'd say he is most similar to Burakovsky, who can play like he has blinders on, but Burakovsky is fairly bit more talented. Not quite as strong, or bull in the china shop Ranta can be, but he skates excellent for a guy his size and his release might be the best on the team that features MacKinnon and Rantanen.

Reactions: 95snipes

Bonin21

May 1, 2014
He needs at least one full year in the AHL then we'll see if he takes the next step needed to become an NHL regular.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Power forward with offensive skill. Excellent speed and shot. Strong. Not the best at finding, or working with, other teammates.
Has the physical wherewithal tools to move up to he AHL, if not the NHL. Not sure that he has the mental game to adjust to the challenges that the NHL throws at him, but he's got the tools.

Would be a welcome addition to CO as a 3rd liner. Never hurts to have quality depth. If this guy works out, just another talented prospect for them. He and Newhook on a third line in a year or two would be interesting.
He's always going to be a "blinders" first player, but I think he can develop into a solid Jamie McGinn-type third line role.

Bonin21

May 1, 2014
I've watched his college career progress and I'll say:
~15% chance 2nd line winger
~30% chance 3rd line winger
~15% chance 4th line winger
~40% chance never a full time NHLer

It's tough to make the NHL, but he has the physical tools and knows how to put the puck in the net.

Reactions: BKarchitect

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
I've watched his college career progress and I'll say:
~15% chance 2nd line winger
~30% chance 3rd line winger
~15% chance 4th line winger
~40% chance never a full time NHLer

It's tough to make the NHL, but he has the physical tools and knows how to put the puck in the net.

Why do you think he’s more likely to make it as a third liner than a fourth?

Reactions: JabbaJabba

melinko

Jun 13, 2010
Minnesota
I agree with the 3rd liner comment, it is the safe bet for someone who is probably unlikely to reach top6 but still considered an offensive player.

Attitude determines everything if you need to adjust your game in order to stick in the NHL and that isn't something you can tell just by watching a player.

Mac Attack

Beefy Legs
Aug 15, 2018
This kid loves to put the puck in the net. He doesn't love to grind (though he has a solid effort level) and spend a shift checking guys. I just don't see him sticking in a 4th line role. Feel like he'd rather go play in Europe at that point.
I'm sure the much larger pay that fourth liners get here over European players will incentivize him if he ends up on the fourth line.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
bumping up this thread because he may make the Avs team this season. strong pre-season and apparently the coach loves him.

That's pretty cool!. If this really happens, didn't see that coming.

Under the radar prospect, has he ever even played hockey here in Finland?

If my memory serves me right, didn't he play in Austria?, then moved to NA,
to the USHL, then NCAA.

Reactions: Lemonlimey

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Hope this guy continues to be inconsistent and make questionable decisions. If not, CO has another forward talent on their hands. Ranta has all the tools.

Reactions: Lemonlimey

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad