F Sampo Ranta - Sioux City Musketeers, USHL (2018, 78th, COL)

Foppa

Future Norris Winner
Feb 27, 2002
Kansas City, USA
Ranta just comitted to the University of Wisconsin today. He's 2018-eligible and he'll be suiting up for Sioux City with Tolvanen this year. Looks like he has solid size for his age and a sniper's mentality.

Last season he played for the Red Bull developmental team in Austria along with guys like Ryan Savage ('00 born Miami University commit), German-born '99 Cedric Schiemenz who is playing for Kitchener in the OHL this season and recent top QMJHL pick Noah Dobson ('00, 6th overall to Acadie-Bathurst).

Any of our Finnish friends actually seen him play or know about him to give a scouting report?

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=375954

Also the USHL-->NCAA route seems to becoming quite popular with young Finnish players, any particular reason for this?

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
Ranta just comitted to the University of Wisconsin today. He's 2018-eligible and he'll be suiting up for Sioux City with Tolvanen this year. Looks like he has solid size for his age and a sniper's mentality.

Last season he played for the Red Bull developmental team in Austria along with guys like Ryan Savage ('00 born Miami University commit), German-born '99 Cedric Schiemenz who is playing for Kitchener in the OHL this season and recent top QMJHL pick Noah Dobson ('00, 6th overall to Acadie-Bathurst).

Any of our Finnish friends actually seen him play or know about him to give a scouting report?

Also the USHL-->NCAA route seems to becoming quite popular with young Finnish players, any particular reason for this?

Is there a reason why there's so many high profile prospects from NA and Scandinavia playing for this seemingly random developmental team in Austria? It's interesting to see, looks like it's one of the best potential routes to professional hockey for German teens.

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
Is there a reason why there's so many high profile prospects from NA and Scandinavia playing for this seemingly random developmental team in Austria? It's interesting to see, looks like it's one of the best potential routes to professional hockey for German teens.

Redbull Salzburg has some good connections I imagine. It's where the Canucks sent Grenier and another guy in 2012 to develop for a year.

joshyhockey26

Dec 6, 2015
st louis

I wonder that too but part of me feels like it's a nice way to transition to North American style of hockey. Which they can do in the CHL leagues aswell with the exception of one key thing. USHL/NCAA is normally not quite as physical. So maybe it's easier to get used to play over here without worrying about being drilled as often? I am incredibly happy for the USHL though in getting so much talent over the years.

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu

Their facilities are incredible compared to your average junior team.

Some thoughts from Ranta himself https://medium.com/@Red_Bull_Hockey/365-days-to-turn-things-around-7930c30864d5#.a99k4qswn

Munchkin10

Feb 11, 2013
Chicago,Il

Salzburg's coach is a former player for U Maine I believe, the academy only opened 2 years ago too. It's described as state of the art, and Leon Draisaitl visited there last month.

Last edited:

Quethas

Jan 19, 2010
Tampere
I think this topic deserves a bump.

Ranta has 24 points so far this season. With his qualities he could and probably should have more points, but I think he has enough intriguing assets to become pretty efficient player.

Ranta is 23rd in Central Scouting's North American skaters list and he was ranked 69th in Craig Button's latest list.

My quick take based on game from last weekend.
Sampo Ranta | FinnProspects.com
Ranta saw a lot of responsibility in a away game against Muskegon Lumberjacks playing in a top line as well as in power play. He didn’t get a point in this game and he registered only one shot but one of his shots hit the crossbar in this game.

Ranta has a great poise, he protects the puck well and he was responsible in bringing puck to the offensive zone in the power play. He gives sharp and precise passes but he isn’t the craftiest playmaker. His shot is also somewhat average. His defensive game has some holes at this point too.

The forward is really strong player for this level and he constantly won his battles. His skating looked above average and his puck handling skills are above average. He hasn’t been able to produce as many points as his abilities would allow him to, but he could become pretty dangerous power forward when he gets it all together.

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
Such a random comparison that doesn't make any sense. Ranta is left handed powerforward with average shot for NHL level, how is that anything like Semin?
I don’t really get that comparison at all, however these guys try to put a comparison on everyone so I can excuse them sometimes :). Semin was a great shooter and had a 40 goal season, Ranta doesn’t have that good of a shot.

Reactions: teravaineSAROS

tfong

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2008
www.instagram.com
Such a random comparison that doesn't make any sense. Ranta is left handed powerforward with average shot for NHL level, how is that anything like Semin?

Lol isn't that like the direct opposite of Semin then?

Completely different handed shooter, opposite strength in shooting and opposite playing style.

Reactions: teravaineSAROS

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Picked by the Avs in the 3rd round, 78th overall.

He's a very good skater and has one of the best pure shots in the draft after the top 15 or so players. Needs to expand as a player and use his teammates better, he's pretty much a target man and a one-on-one player currently. Picture someone like Nino Niederreiter now or Michael Ferland once he puts on more weight.

Goulet17

May 22, 2003

I was not sure where to place this as I could not locate a prospect thread for Ranta on this board. Also, the thread title should have contained a question mark, this seems like far from confirmed at this point.

UNITEDSTATESOFHOCKEY

Jan 5, 2018
Is Mark Divver a reliable source?

Not in my eyes but that doesn't mean he is incorrect in this case... However I don't see BU or any other school as an option for this fall being as late in the summer as it is, would probably go back to junior... Ranta is a 3-4 year project for Colorado anyway...

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Is Mark Divver a reliable source?

Not in my eyes but that doesn't mean he is incorrect in this case... However I don't see BU or any other school as an option for this fall being as late in the summer as it is, would probably go back to junior... Ranta is a 3-4 year project for Colorado anyway...
If I recall correctly, Divver is a beast insider for college hockey, especially for Hockey East.

UNITEDSTATESOFHOCKEY

Jan 5, 2018
If I recall correctly, Divver is a beast insider for college hockey, especially for Hockey East.

And People also think Rachel Maddow is a reliable news source, all I said was "not in my eyes"... believe and follow who you want! With Wisconsin's admission practices considering foreign born athletes, this wouldn't surprise me in the least.

Last edited:

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Divver tweeted this afternoon that a "source" is saying Ranta to the Golden Gophers now. Makes some sense seeing as Connor Hurley's transfer seems to have fallen through. Although are admissions to UW and Minnesota that different?

Bonin21

May 1, 2014
uw has some random, strict rules in place even for athletes. Stupid honestly because we all know athletes aren't held to the same standards for admission or class at any school including Ivys. My friend that went D1 told me the ACT score he needed to play at Harvard and the average Joe wouldn't get in with that.

UNITEDSTATESOFHOCKEY

Jan 5, 2018
uw has some random, strict rules in place even for athletes. Stupid honestly because we all know athletes aren't held to the same standards for admission or class at any school including Ivys. My friend that went D1 told me the ACT score he needed to play at Harvard and the average Joe wouldn't get in with that.

Like requiring a kid who's lived in the US for 2 years to take the TOEFL test.... One of the dumbest requirements considering the number of Engineering students that can't speak a word of English.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad