F Ryan Leonard - Boston College, NCAA (2023, 8th, WSH)

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
He’s a great skater. And I like his effort. Plays good defense. Offensively he’s a little one dimensional. The puck skills and skating are elite, and he can shoot it, but that’s pretty much it. At least he also has size. He’s probably never going to drive an NHL line, but I think he’s a safe bet to be some type of complimentary winger in an NHL top 9.

Another slight worry I have is that a lot of his offense comes off the rush. That’s when you notice him.

Goingintothe3rd

Jun 19, 2019
Will be a solid winger maybe top 6 in the pros 5-6 years down road. Good speed, plays heavy and competes hard. Overall a balanced skill set that has lasting power in the chel. Late 1st or early 2nd.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Haanz

Mar 2, 2013
5 goals, 6points in 2 games… strong start of the season for the kid.
I foresee him being a riser by the end of the year - just a lot to like about his game.

My favorite prospect for this upcoming draft. Agree that he should be a riser.

Last edited:

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I like Leonard, but there are major holes in his game. He should have a good chance to be a complimentary winger in an NHL top 9. I’m skeptical he can be more than that. I think he could be a first round pick. Doubt he goes much later than early second round. Someone will bet on the skating, puck skills, and shot.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Similar to Joel Farabee's upside and I think he'll go in a similar range
I think that’s a good comp. I’m a big fan of Leonard’s and I liked Farabee a lot in his draft year. Very high energy players who work hard, skate very well, and have just enough skill to play up in the line-up and compliment players who have better overall offensive tools.

Reactions: William H Bonney

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I think that’s a good comp. I’m a big fan of Leonard’s and I liked Farabee a lot in his draft year. Very high energy players who work hard, skate very well, and have just enough skill to play up in the line-up and compliment players who have better overall offensive tools.

Oliver Moore is closer to Farabee, if he hits his ceiling.

I can’t think of the best Leonard comparison, but more like Samu Tuomaala from the 2021 draft with better defense. He won’t get as many assists as Farabee does.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I got a JG Pageau vibe in the U17 games I was able to catch last season.

I think Pageau’s more of a center and probably more of an assist guy. I can’t see him being a center. I don’t think he has the playmaking for that.

Best I can think of right now is Grabner with more stick skills and better shot. A few inches smaller and maybe a little slower. I wish the NHL season would start because I’d be better able to think of comparisons to current players, but he’s blazing fast, can stick handle great, pretty good shot. Not a playmaker. Has tunnel vision with the puck, but there are dumber players in the NHL. Really good motor.

I don’t think he has real first line or high second line NHL offense. It works against juniors because he’s so fast and can go right around junior players with his puck skills to create odd man rushes, but he doesn’t have the greatest skills at actually scoring points. He scores a lot of offense off the rush. I think it’ll be lessened against better defenders. He’ll score some, but I can’t see him topping 20 assists in an NHL season. I could be wrong. Would love to be.

Last edited:

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
I think Pageau’s more of a center and probably more of an assist guy. I can’t see him being a center. I don’t think he has the playmaking for that.

Best I can think of right now is Grabner with more stick skills and better shot. A few inches smaller and maybe a little slower. I wish the NHL season would start because I’d be better able to think of comparisons to current players, but he’s blazing fast, can stick handle great, pretty good shot. Not a playmaker. Has tunnel vision with the puck, but there are dumber players in the NHL. Really good motor.

I don’t think he has real first line or high second line NHL offense. It works against juniors because he’s so fast and can go right around junior players with his puck skills to create odd man rushes, but he doesn’t have the greatest skills at actually scoring points. He scores a lot of offense off the rush. I think it’ll be lessened against better defenders. He’ll score some, but I can’t see him topping 20 assists in an NHL season. I could be wrong. Would love to be.
Maybe Brian Gionta? alas,I agree - I see more of a third line player here - but I think after a big year for the USDP a team will draft him as high as the mid-first. He’s the type of guy where it’s rather easy to see that he will be an NHLer but maybe a bit of limited upside.

MichaelFarrell

Aug 29, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
He's being undervalued in a lot of draft rankings I've seen
I have him ranked very high on my list. In a lot of games I’ve watch for the USNTDP, he’s been far and away the best player. It’s still really early, but I currently have him in my top 10 ahead of guys like Benson, Stramel, and Will Smith. That might be a hot take, but that’s just what I’ve seen this year.

Ryan Leonard is one of my favorite players in the draft. I’m admittedly extremely bias towards US prospects and the USNTDP, but I really think Leonard will be a player.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I have him ranked very high on my list. In a lot of games I’ve watch for the USNTDP, he’s been far and away the best player. It’s still really early, but I currently have him in my top 10 ahead of guys like Benson, Stramel, and Will Smith. That might be a hot take, but that’s just what I’ve seen this year.

Ryan Leonard is one of my favorite players in the draft. I’m admittedly extremely bias towards US prospects and the USNTDP, but I really think Leonard will be a player.
I’m a huge Leonard booster myself. Glad I’m not alone.

Reactions: MichaelFarrell

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad