F Ryan Leonard - Boston College, NCAA (2023, 8th, WSH)

MichaelFarrell

Aug 29, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
If you have watched this U18 tournament at all and don’t think Ryan Leonard should be more highly regarded, I think you’re crazy.

He has every tool you’d want in an NHL player. He has decent size, he’s fast, good decision making, and a good shot.

I keep watching the USTDP trying to find why he is ranked so low on lists and I just don’t see it. He’s in my top 10.

Reactions: montreal

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
If you have watched this U18 tournament at all and don’t think Ryan Leonard should be more highly regarded, I think you’re crazy.

He has every tool you’d want in an NHL player. He has decent size, he’s fast, good decision making, and a good shot.

I keep watching the USTDP trying to find why he is ranked so low on lists and I just don’t see it. He’s in my top 10.

I’m not suggesting you are wrong. We’ll have to see.

I hope you aren’t, but to play devils advocate, he’s 5’11, an average playmaker, and the way he scores a lot of his goals by beating players 1v1 and off the rush using his speed to win races as opposed to banging in rebounds/tips at the net or having an Ovechkin/Laine shot, suggests he may be more of a good than great goal scorer as he moves up to pro hockey and eventually the NHL.

MichaelFarrell

Aug 29, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
I’m not suggesting you are wrong. We’ll have to see.

I hope you aren’t, but to play devils advocate, he’s 5’11, an average playmaker, and the way he scores a lot of his goals by beating players 1v1 and off the rush using his speed to win races as opposed to banging in rebounds/tips at the net or having an Ovechkin/Laine shot, suggests he may be more of a good than great goal scorer as he moves up to pro hockey and eventually the NHL.
I feel like he constantly makes high level plays. However, I will agree that it a lot of the time it’s from out maneuvering players with his skill or speed. I have seen Leonard make some great passes but it’s obvious that Perreault and Smith have the most chemistry on the team whereas Leonard is more willing to create plays individually.

I could be way off on Leonard. I’ve just watched so many USNTDP games this year and have loved his game from the beginning. Leonard and Smith should both be high draft picks imo.

Reactions: montreal

MichaelFarrell

Aug 29, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA

Ryan Leonard is ranked #8 and the first American taken on Sam Constantino’s draft rankings for sportsnet. Funny enough I have Leonard ranked #8 as well on mine so far.

If anybody wants to hear about his ranking, he was on the November 17th edition of the Jeff Marek show. I don’t agree with a lot of his list but he was spot on with Leonard.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
There are always players some of us will go to bat for and others we won’t.

Leonard is not a player I’m going to bat for. The guy is really good at junior hockey. Would have no problem if he was on my team. He’s not a guy though that I think will be a top 6 NHL’er.

I don’t like his playmaking. He cant really make any set-ups for good scoring chances. When he registers an assist, it’s a basic assist or a secondary one. All his offense is off the rush. He’s not good in a possession game. He has a lot of points, but if you look at the stats, he has a lot less points than his two line-mates, including half the number of assists as Smith. He’s the third most talented offensive player on the team playing with the two most talented on the team, so he’ll obviously score a lot this season, but I don’t buy the offense when it’s not pond hockey.

His skating is great, the effort is great, as is the skill, and the shot is good, but I think he’s a very flawed hockey player. Would not pick him round 1. Great round 2 pick, but I doubt he makes it there. And no offense to @MichaelFarrell, along with everyone else that is a big Leonard fan. I respect your opinion, but I’m out on Leonard as a first rounder.

If I’m wrong, someone can @ me in five years.

MichaelFarrell

Aug 29, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
There are always players some of us will go to bat for and others we won’t.

Leonard is not a player I’m going to bat for. The guy is really good at junior hockey. Would have no problem if he was on my team. He’s not a guy though that I think will be a top 6 NHL’er.

I don’t like his playmaking. He cant really make any set-ups for good scoring chances. When he registers an assist, it’s a basic assist or a secondary one. All his offense is off the rush. He’s not good in a possession game. He has a lot of points, but if you look at the stats, he has a lot less points than his two line-mates, including half the number of assists as Smith. He’s the third most talented offensive player on the team playing with the two most talented on the team, so he’ll obviously score a lot this season, but I don’t buy the offense when it’s not pond hockey.

His skating is great, the effort is great, as is the skill, and the shot is good, but I think he’s a very flawed hockey player. Would not pick him round 1. Great round 2 pick, but I doubt he makes it there. And no offense to @MichaelFarrell, along with everyone else that is a big Leonard fan. I respect your opinion, but I’m out on Leonard as a first rounder.

If I’m wrong, someone can @ me in five years.
You could prove to be correct about Leonard. But, he hasn’t gone anywhere on my list after every time I view him. I’m a fan of his game but most importantly his tools. Strength, speed, good hands, and a shot that keeps improving. He goes to the hard areas.

Boston College is going to be stacked.

WayneGretzky

Jul 25, 2016
Fascinating to me that Central Scouting has this guy ranked ahead of Yager/Benson/Cristall/Barlow/Wood/Ritchie and no one is talking about him?

Also, zero chance the USDP has 3 of the top 6 NA Skaters in this draft…WHL maybe.

8C095160-0AAE-484C-AFDF-003E7EAD23DF.jpeg

Postulates

Jun 7, 2022
Fascinating to me that Central Scouting has this guy ranked ahead of Yager/Benson/Cristall/Barlow/Wood/Ritchie and no one is talking about him?

Also, zero chance the USDP has 3 of the top 6 NA Skaters in this draft…WHL maybe.

View attachment 634708
Maybe what i said sarcastically in the Bedard thread about the WHL is being over valued was right

95snipes

Dec 11, 2019

View attachment 634708
I started this thread so I may be biased, but he is definitely flying under the radar. Probably because he isn't a center.

I'd take Yager over Leonard, but the rest aren't crazy IMO. I feel pretty confident that he's better than Wood and Ritchie. I personally would take him over Cristall without too much hesitation. I have Leonard in a similar tier to Benson and Barlow.

Leonard has all the tools to be a top 6 forward, just probably isn't a line driver.

WayneGretzky

Jul 25, 2016
Maybe what i said sarcastically in the Bedard thread about the WHL is being over valued was right
I’m not high on Honzek/Heidt/Lind/Ziemmer/Danielson but i feel Bedard/Yager/Benson/Cristall/Dragicevic all have great upside.

Edit: when I say “not high on” I mean in terms of top 10-15 pick value…teams that snag these guys in the 15-40 range are getting value.

MichaelFarrell

Aug 29, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
I don’t believe Leonard & Moore to be within the top 7-10 even…not convinced they both go in the top 20.
USNTDP has a great team this year. Leonard has been in my top 10 all year. He’s a great player. I think perhaps some guys have higher upside but I think he’s going to be a solid NHLer.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I don’t know about top-10 like the Central Scouting list, but Leonard is underrated by a lot of folks in here it seems. Smith and Perreault are flashy and more talented, sure, but Leonard is the guy who does the hard work on that line. Not a future star by any means but certainly a high-end glue guy. I’d take him probably in the 15-20 range if my team hadn’t been burned by older brother John.

MichaelFarrell

Aug 29, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
I don’t know about top-10 like the Central Scouting list, but Leonard is underrated by a lot of folks in here it seems. Smith and Perreault are flashy and more talented, sure, but Leonard is the guy who does the hard work on that line. Not a future star by any means but certainly a high-end glue guy. I’d take him probably in the 15-20 range if my team hadn’t been burned by older brother John.
I actually think he has more talent than Perreault. Perreault is a great playmaker and has had great chemistry with Smith all season. But, Leonard has a phenomenal ability to make individual plays.

Early in their season I thought he was easily the best player on the USNTDP until Smith started to really heat up.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I actually think he has more talent than Perreault. Perreault is a great playmaker and has had great chemistry with Smith all season. But, Leonard has a phenomenal ability to make individual plays.

Early in their season I thought he was easily the best player on the USNTDP until Smith started to really heat up.
That’s fair. What I meant was more that Leonard does the dirty work for the line, does all the little unappreciated things that it takes to be successful, in addition to his obvious talent level. He’s the perfect complement to a pair of high-octane forwards. I think he’d be a great fit on a team like the Oilers with McDavid and Drai, or with Marner and Matthews, or Mackinnon and Rantanen. You get my point. But yes I like Leonard a lot.

Nabrules

Nov 5, 2018
More and more talk about his name in the top 10 range. Grant McGagg, although controversial, does have a lot of NHL sources. He tweeted today that he has Leonard top 10 and quite a few nhl scouts have him there as well.

Reactions: majormajor

Postulates

Jun 7, 2022
More and more talk about his name in the top 10 range. Grant McGagg, although controversial, does have a lot of NHL sources. He tweeted today that he has Leonard top 10 and quite a few nhl scouts have him there as well.
Ever since Central Scouting had him at #4 it became apparent that a lot of scouts probably had him as a top 10ish prospect

His game is one NHL scouts love

Reactions: MichaelFarrell

Nabrules

Nov 5, 2018
A lot of people scoffed at NACS having him 4th on the NA list and others having him top 10 on their list. He’s legit. Reminds me a of bigger Zach Parise. If all goes well could be an all around 70 point player.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
A lot of people scoffed at NACS having him 4th on the NA list and others having him top 10 on their list. He’s legit. Reminds me a of bigger Zach Parise. If all goes well could be an all around 70 point player.

He's a similar profile to Barlow and he's just better than Barlow at everything and has more room to grow physically.

I'd be floored and confused if Leonard is lower than Barlow on McKenzie's final list.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
There's actually a very good chance...
Yup, don't count out Perreault from sneaking into the top 15 as well.

This class - at least forward-wise - has developed pretty beautifully at the top and has far outstripped expectations. There are going to be certain scouts and teams who fall in love with the likes of Leonard and Moore.

Reactions: Torts

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad