F Ryan Leonard - Boston College, NCAA (2023, 8th, WSH)

95snipes

Dec 11, 2019
A lot of people scoffed at NACS having him 4th on the NA list and others having him top 10 on their list. He’s legit. Reminds me a of bigger Zach Parise. If all goes well could be an all around 70 point player.
He has a much better shot tool than Parise. Leonard will be able to beat NHL goaltenders clean from the top of the circles. I'd bet Parise scored a large portion of his career goals within 15 feet of the net. Also bigger than Parise as you mentioned.
How does he compare to Moore? @MichaelFarrell They both intrigue me based off reading their profiles.
Worse skater, but much better hockey sense.

MichaelFarrell

Aug 29, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
How does he compare to Moore? @MichaelFarrell They both intrigue me based off reading their profiles.
Moore and Leonard are really different players. Leonard projects more as a skilled power forward who is very well rounded and is willing to go into the dirty areas. He’s a great athlete.

Moore is an interesting player. He’s really fast, he has great hands and skill but is also a great two-way player who is a on the 1st PK. Very versatile forward. The amount of points he’s been able to produce with Danny Nelson and Will Vote on his line is fantastic. He is slight of frame though.

Honestly, I think both guys have a lot of talent. I think who’d you pick first is just based off of what type of player you want to mold into your organization and both players have some risk associated with them.

Ryan Leonard will be a solid complementary winger in your top 6 who engages physically and can make some awesome individual plays but could stand to use his teammates a bit better at times. Oliver Moore has a phenomenal motor, works hard every shift, and would probably have crazy numbers if he played on the first line. But, he might not mesh well with other talented puck possession players.

WayneGretzky

Jul 25, 2016
Will Smith Ryan Leonard

Benson will fall close to the draft, he's nothing special
No one credible will agree with you that Leonard is a top 10 lock, while many would agree with my assessment. In my opinion, Benson is a tier above Smith/Leonard, potentially another Marner.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
No one credible will agree with you that Leonard is a top 10 lock
I agree with them.

Leonard is the kind of player that teams covet, whether the media and scouting services acknowledge it or not.

Pretty high chance we'll hear his name called in the top 10.

Reactions: Wildabeast

Postulates

Jun 7, 2022
No one credible will agree with you that Leonard is a top 10 lock, while many would agree with my assessment. In my opinion, Benson is a tier above Smith/Leonard, potentially another Marner.
Tier above ? thats not what central scouting and many media guys believe

WayneGretzky

Jul 25, 2016
Tier above ? thats not what central scouting and many media guys believe
That’s why I prefaced it with “in my opinion”

I agree with them.

Leonard is the kind of player that teams covet, whether the media and scouting services acknowledge it or not.

Pretty high chance we'll hear his name called in the top 10.
It’s not that he isn’t necessarily good enough to be a top 10 pick, or even would be most years…but it’s an exceptional year, any team taking him in the top 10 is leaving big upside on the table. Someone might do it, but I doubt it.

Bedard & Benson are top 10 locks, and Yager & Cristall have shots as well, I’ll take even Yager over Leonard, not particularly close either.

Postulates

Jun 7, 2022
That’s why I prefaced it with “in my opinion”

It’s not that he isn’t necessarily good enough to be a top 10 pick, or even would be most years…but it’s an exceptional year, any team taking him in the top 10 is leaving big upside on the table. Someone might do it, but I doubt it.

Bedard & Benson are top 10 locks, and Yager & Cristall have shots as well, I’ll take even Yager over Leonard, not particularly close either.
Cristall might not even go first round

WayneGretzky

Jul 25, 2016
Cristall might not even go first round
It’s a crazy draft, you may be right, but I think he likely goes 12-20 if the draft was today, if he finishes strong, 9-12 isn’t impossible. I have Yager in my personal top 10, but I understand why he’s slipping, still likely doesn’t slip past 10..I’d take Yager over Smith.

Postulates

Jun 7, 2022
You are seriously trying to call Ryan Leonard a top 10 lock but not Benson?

Name one service outside of NHL Central Scouting with Leonard ahead
I think Benson will fall heavily, he's become overrated through what i call the bedard effect

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
I don't know that Benson is a top 10 lock. He's small. I think there's a hesitancy to use top 10 picks on guys that size.

I think a lot of teams would feel more comfortable drafting someone like Leonard in the top 10 instead.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I agree with those saying Leonard has an underrated chance of going top ten. I expect him to go there.

I think Benson will fall heavily, he's become overrated through what i call the bedard effect

Benson would get highly ranked in any year, not sure what the Bedard effect is supposed to be. Maybe Benson would even be talked about at 1st OA in the 2022 draft. He's a step up from Savoie. Of course, come the draft some teams will shy away from him for being small and he'll tumble like Rossi. But his present attention is well deserved and fits with how similar players have been treated in the past.

Brayden Yeger is somewhere in the top 10. Andrew Cristall, also a chance at making the top 10

Yager more likely to go outside of the top 20.

Lou Bloom

Oct 14, 2020
Not sure what I'm missing with Leonard but I'm not sure I see a 1st round prospect, let alone a top 10 pick. He's got good size and straight line speed but he's not the most skilled or agile player and even his defense and motor which are praised has been very inconsistent for me. Not to harp on how much I'm a fan of Oliver Moore but any time they're on the ice together it's very obvious who the better talent is.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Few more months and we will see, but I’d bet not. Better chance that no American goes in the top 10 at all
I think it's much more likely that Leonard sneaks into the top 10 than Smith falling out.
This is nonsense. Benson is an excellent prospect in his own right.
Brayden Yeger is somewhere in the top 10. Andrew Cristall, also a chance at making the top 10
I have Yager and Leonard both outside the top 10.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Leonard is an interesting prospect. I see some Max Pacioretty in his game, perhaps some Blake Coleman as well. I think an odd hybrid of those 2 that's a reasonable comp if things pan out. A competitive, straight line, goal scoring 2nd line winger.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
Where is Sale & Dvorsky in this top 10 arguement?

First 4 are obvious.
Then Yager, Benson, Smith, Sale, Dvosky, Cristall, throw in a D or 2....and we're already at 12...then add 10 or so other players that could go pick 6-30.
Leonard could go top 10, but to claim he is a lock is underrating many other prospects.

Wildabeast

Jan 28, 2022
Not sure what I'm missing with Leonard but I'm not sure I see a 1st round prospect, let alone a top 10 pick. He's got good size and straight line speed but he's not the most skilled or agile player and even his defense and motor which are praised has been very inconsistent for me. Not to harp on how much I'm a fan of Oliver Moore but any time they're on the ice together it's very obvious who the better talent is.
Moore jumps off the screen when he's on the ice, consistently. His skating is unbelievable and he has a great skill set and desire to compete every shift. As noted, imagine if he had first line guys on his line. His numbers would have exploded and they already are solid.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad