F Rutger McGroarty - University of Michigan, NCAA (2022, 14th, WPG)

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I would be slightly concerned as a Jets fan. It seems like most of this team's core is turning pro except for him. Michigan will be kind of re-building next year. Def not going back for another shot at winning the championship. Thought he'd at least head to AHL next year.

I'm not concerned unless he decides to stay for a 4th year. Then the writing might be on the wall. A third year in Mich and a signing at the end of next season is fine by me. A much higher chance he's a contributor next year for us down the stretch. He could always change his mind this summer as well.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Ates thinks "that the path to NHL playing time was a key item in talks with the Jets".

On the most recent episode of 32 thoughts that dropped today, Friedman mentioned this as a possible issue with him turning pro and could be going back.

He hypothesized that they'd (Rutger/agent and Jets) would be looking at the probability of him being in the NHL next year.

Guess neither see it as such and thus chose to go back to the NCAA

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
Mid 1st round picks going back for a 3rd year of college is a step back for development for prospects. Wrong decision, playing in ahl would helped him in the long run over college. Don't believe the jets are OK with this regardless of what they say.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
Mid 1st round picks going back for a 3rd year of college is a step back for development for prospects. Wrong decision, playing in ahl would helped him in the long run over college. Don't believe the jets are OK with this regardless of what they say.
NCAA is as good as it’s ever been. I don’t think it’s a problem he’s going back.

Reactions: Torts and 57special

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Faber says hi.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Not gonna try and hurt anyone's feelings here. I will add that I have NO INSIDE KNOWLEDGE of his thought process. So everything I say is 100% speculative.

So I'll just say it bluntly, it's a situation to keep an eye on. Winnipeg is generally not a desirable location for American players in particular. What he can do by going back for a third year is potentially put some pressure onto the team to trade a team that he may having a stronger desire to play for, due to location/availability of ice time. A well performing 1st Round pick that goes back for a junior year doesn't mean the sky is falling, but it's hardly crazy to get to a mid-season point, the team comes around talking about signing at the end of the college year, and he says "yeah.. I dunno.. I think I'd prefer this list of teams..do you really want to risk losing me for nothing?" because at that point, it's only another season to wait and then August 15th hits and everyone is ready to offer him a contract a bunch with ice time assurances.

The team can call his bluff and say "you're really gonna wait two more seasons to burn a year of ELC??" I think if you go back for a fourth, you sign a 2-year ELC because then you're considered 22 (that part always confuses me though, 22 as of what date with these late season signings? I know Dylan Duke - left after three, late season signing, is a 3-year ELC and Landon Slaggert, left after four, late season signing is a 2-year ELC even though Slaggert isn't 22 until June.. so does that mean McGroarty either signs next year or waits until senior year and either way his ELC expires at the same time?)

So, something to keep an eye on. When a player is clearly worthy enough to sign a pro deal and doesn't with that level of draft status, you should step back and look with caution. We'll see what happens. Despite being a divisional opponent, I hope he signs with the Jets. Don't need to see another go the Rangers direction or whatever, and you like to see teams rewarded with the opportunity for their draft picks.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Not gonna try and hurt anyone's feelings here. I will add that I have NO INSIDE KNOWLEDGE of his thought process. So everything I say is 100% speculative.

So I'll just say it bluntly, it's a situation to keep an eye on. Winnipeg is generally not a desirable location for American players in particular. What he can do by going back for a third year is potentially put some pressure onto the team to trade a team that he may having a stronger desire to play for, due to location/availability of ice time. A well performing 1st Round pick that goes back for a junior year doesn't mean the sky is falling, but it's hardly crazy to get to a mid-season point, the team comes around talking about signing at the end of the college year, and he says "yeah.. I dunno.. I think I'd prefer this list of teams..do you really want to risk losing me for nothing?" because at that point, it's only another season to wait and then August 15th hits and everyone is ready to offer him a contract a bunch with ice time assurances.

The team can call his bluff and say "you're really gonna wait two more seasons to burn a year of ELC??" I think if you go back for a fourth, you sign a 2-year ELC because then you're considered 22 (that part always confuses me though, 22 as of what date with these late season signings? I know Dylan Duke - left after three, late season signing, is a 3-year ELC and Landon Slaggert, left after four, late season signing is a 2-year ELC even though Slaggert isn't 22 until June.. so does that mean McGroarty either signs next year or waits until senior year and either way his ELC expires at the same time?)

So, something to keep an eye on. When a player is clearly worthy enough to sign a pro deal and doesn't with that level of draft status, you should step back and look with caution. We'll see what happens. Despite being a divisional opponent, I hope he signs with the Jets. Don't need to see another go the Rangers direction or whatever, and you like to see teams rewarded with the opportunity for their draft picks.
I'm guessing the Jets want to sign him, but if they were honest with him in that they were not going to guarantee him a spot on the roster in 24/25. He would need to earn it and continually play well to remain with the team otherwise, he'd be demoted to the A. If he doesn't think he's a lock for the NHL next season given the Jets roster, his choice on returning to Michigan. Always want to challenge yourself. And given his production, seems like he performed very well in college already. Even in the A, that's a step up in competition but the life in the A isn't as nice for a 20 year old as it is at Michigan.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
The Jets and Habs might make good trade partners since we have a ton of D prospects/young blueliners plus a lot of cap space and a shit ton of picks if needed to balance things out. The Jets seem to have a number of interesting forward prospects but also are in a spot to win now.

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
Winnipeg is generally not a desirable location for American players in particular.
Obviously, Winnipeg as a city leaves a lot to be desired when compared to other NHL destinations, but anyone who loves the outdoors, ie. hunting, boating and fishing, just outside the city is an absolute playground.

A short drive into NW Ontario and you have access to world class fresh water fishing. I've heard that Helley is a regular on the fishing scene up there.

Tasteless Beaver

PLANE TEAM GOOD
Jul 8, 2015
Ottawa, Ontario
The process to arrive at this result looks to be as amicable and logical as can be between the team and player - our NHL roster is nearly set for next year and there is no opportunity for him to crack the lineup in a meaningful way as a center. I have zero concerns that Rutger wants out at this time, and we’ve never lost a player through the college route. The guy is a born leader, let him develop that way and join the team as such. He’ll do some time with the Moose to learn the Jets system, and be NHL ready within a few months of that. We’ll be excited to have him.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Obviously, Winnipeg as a city leaves a lot to be desired when compared to other NHL destinations, but anyone who loves the outdoors, ie. hunting, boating and fishing, just outside the city is an absolute playground.

A short drive into NW Ontario and you have access to world class fresh water fishing. I've heard that Helley is a regular on the fishing scene up there.
Yeah, Lake of the Woods is magical in the summer.

Reactions: waitin425

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
The choice was try and win a national championship as the likely captain or play in the AHL all year. The Jets have zero space for him next year.

Maybe he'd get a late season callup, but that's not guaranteed with more likely TDL acquisitions.

Connor - Scheifele - Vilardi
Perfetti - Namestnikov(or Perfetti/Vilardi) Ehlers
Nino - Lowry - Appleton
Barron Gustafsson Iafallo
Kupari

All signed next year. They might try to re-up Monahan or even Toffoli. Bowness loves Appleton and Iafallo, so even as pending UFA's they're not being traded.

After next year Appleton and Iafallo are probably gone, Namestnikov will be a UFA, maybe even Ehlers if they can't agree on an extension. Much more open.

Also gives him another year to work on his skating.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
The Jets could have room. I don’t think they will, but I think they could. Toffoli is a UFA and a player no team needs. You’re better off having your own young ELC’s than an okay second line winger. Niederreiter is a bad contract. 4M for another 3 years for a good third liner. That’s too much and with the prospects they have that’s going to be prohibitive. We already see the trouble Perfetti has had getting top 6/9 minutes. They should move Vilardi to the middle. Easy solution for now to their 2C question. Re signing Monahan would be stupid.

I think these are the types of questions keeping him in college. Bowness is a total dinosaur coach. Not going to give young guys ample opportunity. McGroarty’s agent has to be all over this situation given what we are seeing with Perfetti. McGroarty’s half Canadian. He grew up in Nebraska of all places when his father was coaching in the USHL. I don’t think he’s trying to pick his destination. I think he doesn’t want to play a year in the AHL. If Winnipeg wants to sign him a year from now, they need to find a way to get him into the NHL lineup then.

Reactions: Peasy

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
The Jets could have room. I don’t think they will, but I think they could. Toffoli is a UFA and a player no team needs. You’re better off having your own young ELC’s than an okay second line winger. Niederreiter is a bad contract. 4M for another 3 years for a good third liner. That’s too much and with the prospects they have that’s going to be prohibitive. We already see the trouble Perfetti has had getting top 6/9 minutes. They should move Vilardi to the middle. Easy solution for now to their 2C question. Re signing Monahan would be stupid.

I think these are the types of questions keeping him in college. Bowness is a total dinosaur coach. Not going to give young guys ample opportunity. McGroarty’s agent has to be all over this situation given what we are seeing with Perfetti. McGroarty’s half Canadian. He grew up in Nebraska of all places when his father was coaching in the USHL. I don’t think he’s trying to pick his destination. I think he doesn’t want to play a year in the AHL. If Winnipeg wants to sign him a year from now, they need to find a way to get him into the NHL lineup then.

Toffoli is probably out, agreed. I don't think Niederreiter is a bad contract, and even if I accepted that, he's not keeping Perfetti out of the top 6. Perfetti's slump, along with the current top 6 is doing that. Vilardi hasn't played at C very much so I don't think it's an easy solution to the 2C question, it's a risky one.

Bowness is likely gone after this year. He signed a 2 year deal and Arneil was hired as "Associate Coach", he's no assistant. With Bones' age and his wife's health issues this year I imagine he retires from coaching.

There will be way more opportunity to get into the NHL lineup for 2025/26.

Torts

Aug 21, 2009
Ontario
Your 24/25 Michigan Captain!!! Glad he's returning after this past season.
I retract this statement lol. Current captain Jacob Truscott is returning for his 5th and final year. Rutger will be a huge asset and leader in the room without having the C on his jersey.

Boxertim

Mar 21, 2014
winnipeg

…also….not every USA player can play for Minni…Wpg is the next best thing

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad