F Rutger McGroarty - University of Michigan, NCAA (2022, 14th, WPG)

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
I imagine he signs as part of a likely Michigan exodus. He would be served to improve his skating before growing pro, but it's not demonstrably better after 2 college season, so maybe it's something he can improve once in the Jets organization.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Wasn't the same after the injury. Probably won't be helpful in the playoffs for Winnipeg, but with a full offseason he can gain back whatever was lost during the injury. He was absolutely on fire before the injury and the Hobey Baker favorite.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Wasn't the same after the injury. Probably won't be helpful in the playoffs for Winnipeg, but with a full offseason he can gain back whatever was lost during the injury. He was absolutely on fire before the injury and the Hobey Baker favorite.
At the time the 10 Hobey Baker finalists were announced before post season play began, McGroarty had 33 points in his 19 games since returning from injury. He put up much better numbers post injury than he did pre-injury.

CrosbyStaalsAndNash

Apr 25, 2014
winnipeg
  • 6g 17pts in 13 games between Oct. 7 and Nov. 17 (injury game) - 1.3pts/game
  • 10g 34pts in 20 games between Jan. 12 and Mar. 23 - 1.7pts/game
  • 5g 9pts in 7 games at the WJC between Dec. 26 and Jan. 5 - 1.3pts/game
    • he scored 1g 1a in the gold medal game
What would you say he lost from his injury?

Reactions: hn777 and Atoyot

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
At the time the 10 Hobey Baker finalists were announced before post season play began, McGroarty had 33 points in his 19 games since returning from injury. He put up much better numbers post injury than he did pre-injury.
  • 6g 17pts in 13 games between Oct. 7 and Nov. 17 (injury game) - 1.3pts/game
  • 10g 34pts in 20 games between Jan. 12 and Mar. 23 - 1.7pts/game
  • 5g 9pts in 7 games at the WJC between Dec. 26 and Jan. 5 - 1.3pts/game
    • he scored 1g 1a in the gold medal game
What would you say he lost from his injury?
Interesting. Stats definitely appear deceiving then in this situation.

Completely weak WJC. 9 points in 7 games was probably about the least amount of points he could've had. His stats are weird since the World Juniors. Had a weekend where he had 8 points in 2 games. Has 2 points in his last 5 games of the season.

Wasn't the injury like a spleen or ribs or something like that? Conditioning is something that a player will often lose after getting injured midseason and missing a bunch of time. Might explain some of his inconsistent play.

Torts

Aug 21, 2009
Ontario
I imagine he signs as part of a likely Michigan exodus. He would be served to improve his skating before growing pro, but it's not demonstrably better after 2 college season, so maybe it's something he can improve once in the Jets organization.
Might not be as many as expected. Of all the drafted underclassmen on the team - Casey would be the most sure fire thing to turn pro after this season. Reports are Brindley has interest in returning for Junior year and who knows who else follows suit.

Rutger could return, be captain of the team and be top option vs bottom 6 NHL or AHL opportunities. Let's see how it plays out!

Reactions: hn777

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Might not be as many as expected. Of all the drafted underclassmen on the team - Casey would be the most sure fire thing to turn pro after this season. Reports are Brindley has interest in returning for Junior year and who knows who else follows suit.

Rutger could return, be captain of the team and be top option vs bottom 6 NHL or AHL opportunities. Let's see how it plays out!

Totally fair. I don't think any of them would be harmed by another college season and trying to run it back for a title run has to be enticing since none of them are guaranteed to step into big NHL roles immediately.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I think McGroarty would start out top 9 next season in Winnipeg, unless Bowness hates him as much as Perfetti.

But he's also a different type of player than Perfetti that plays with more grit, so I think he has a very good chance to be top 9 in the NHL if he comes out.

Doubt he'd be hurt by another college season, but I also don't see how it makes sense. Michigan this season wasn't what they were the last few and next season probably won't be getting any better. I don't see why he'd stay.

Torts

Aug 21, 2009
Ontario
I think McGroarty would start out top 9 next season in Winnipeg, unless Bowness hates him as much as Perfetti.

But he's also a different type of player than Perfetti that plays with more grit, so I think he has a very good chance to be top 9 in the NHL if he comes out.

Doubt he'd be hurt by another college season, but I also don't see how it makes sense. Michigan this season wasn't what they were the last few and next season probably won't be getting any better. I don't see why he'd stay.
Fanbase and the whole team themselves would probably say the team underperformed the first 3/4 of the season. If the team played more consistently all season (like they played in the B1G playoffs) they would have been ranked top 5 all year.

With seniors/grad transfers leaving + sophomore class staying + a recruiting class that includes three top 90 players with Hage, Gridin and Humphreys - one could argue next season is a more talented roster.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Fanbase and the whole team themselves would probably say the team underperformed the first 3/4 of the season. If the team played more consistently all season (like they played in the B1G playoffs) they would have been ranked top 5 all year.

With seniors/grad transfers leaving + sophomore class staying + a recruiting class that includes three top 90 players with Hage, Gridin and Humphreys - one could argue next season is a more talented roster.
Theoretically if everyone stays, sure. But the roster definitely wasn't as talented as the last few seasons. It probably was less talented than at least 2-3 of the real college hockey blue bloods this year.

Realistically too, New Jersey is going to push for Edwards to come out and Tampa will push for Duke to come out. They risk them going to UFA if they don't sign them this summer. Casey, Nazar, McGroarty, and Brindley have only completed two years. There's not a rush. I would probably suggest Casey and Nazar need another year and McGroarty doesn't. Brindley I think could go either way. It could be a situation where if one or two go or stay, that dictates it for the others. Hughes is already 22. The older players as UDFA's get less attractive to NHL teams the older they are. I think for him he should probably come out now. He's older than someone like Truscott actually.

And then they lose Truscott and Warren from the defense. I think Gridin could have a big freshman season. Hage will be good too. Humphreys I see being a good player eventually, but he might struggle with the physical adjustment as he's not the biggest or best skater. Also plays a lot on the perimeter. I think regardless the team will be good, but McGroarty himself won't be enough so if he stays to win he better be sure the others are staying with him.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Rutger should return for another year but we will see, he's probably not far enough along to play regularly for Winnipeg righty away, it's more understandable for him to leave now after sophomore, but we are seeing more kids come back for their junior year and then figuring to jump into an NHL lineup with little or no AHL time after their junior year.

There aren't any Power, Beniers, Hughes brothers, Fantilli with this Michigan group, guys who are going to jump right into an NHL role.

I hope we have some people who think it out like Faber and Snuggerud and realize playing in Ann Arbor at age 20 is going to be better than playing for the Manitoba Moose, Rockford Ice Hogs, Cleveland Monsters and Utica Comets.

Reactions: Atoyot and hn777

oldwpgjet

Apr 11, 2021

I like McGroarty but can't see him making the team next season. I hope you're right but Lambert has had a pretty good season and hasn't got a sniff yet. I expect him to make the team next year. Again , I hope he does make the team but they seem to make guys pay their dues in AHL first and learn the system. Also , Barlow probably knocking at the door as well . I like Chibrikov as well but there isn't room for everyone. Excited about this playoff, so many teams look ready including the Jets. What a crapshoot it will be. There will be some heartbreak, just too many good teams, hopefully leafs and oilers ( heartbreak) and not the jets.

CrosbyStaalsAndNash

Apr 25, 2014
winnipeg
With Frank Nazar signing with Chicago earlier this afternoon, I feel that bodes well for McGroarty signing his ELC too.

Michigan probably won't be strong enough to contend next season with a guy like Nazar gone.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
Well there goes that lol. Only took 49 minutes to be wrong. My girlfriend will love that one.

I am surprised he's going back.

JiggsNY

Sep 14, 2016
New York
I would be slightly concerned as a Jets fan. It seems like most of this team's core is turning pro except for him. Michigan will be kind of re-building next year. Def not going back for another shot at winning the championship. Thought he'd at least head to AHL next year.

Reactions: WhiskeyYerTheDevils

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
I would be slightly concerned as a Jets fan. It seems like most of this team's core is turning pro except for him. Michigan will be kind of re-building next year. Def not going back for another shot at winning the championship. Thought he'd at least head to AHL next year.
Michigan will be retooling. I expect them to get a solid portal player now like Whitelaw or Wilmer; Hage, Gridin, & Humphreys coming in. They should be able to be competitive and make the tournament, unless Casey leaves and then the defense is totally screwed.

Bonin21

May 1, 2014
Umm...

If Casey and Hughes stay they're still absolutely loaded.
McGroarty/Casey/Hughes/Moldenhauer/Schifsky/Hage/Gridin/Humphreys
Plus probably Whitelaw and maybe more from the portal

Reactions: hn777 and Torts

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad