F Rutger McGroarty - University of Michigan, NCAA (2022, 14th, WPG)

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
6'1 even at the combine. Half the league stands above him.

I'm really trying to make a nitpicky point here that I don't think people are picking up on. I think we want McGroarty because he adds strength and intensity to the lineup (in addition to great hands, etc...). I think that's what people mean when they say "I'd love my team to add his size".
You’re right. I saw recently somewhere that he’s listed at 6’2, but can’t find where anymore. The combine measurements said 6’1.

FireBird71

Aug 6, 2015
I still see McGroarty as the best (pure) winger in this draft class and I'm prepared to take the heat if he falls well short of that.

I get the concerns about his skating, but personally I see a much more well-rounded scoring package and better offensive instincts in Rutger than I do for example in Slafkovsky or Kemell. I like those players too, and I get why they're consensus top 10 players. But I'd go to bat for Rutger being the more productive NHL player.

There's no chance he goes this high, but I think he'd be an excellent pick for New Jersey at #2.

I'm thrilled Michigan managed to poach him from the Irish, I think he'll have the biggest impact of our freshmen next season.
I think it will be Fantilli

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
Been increasingly interested in this guy for the Preds at 17. Either him or Kasper, if we're going forward.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
I'm not a big fan of his upside, so I probably wouldn't have taken him this high, but he was a definite first rounder. Hopefully he can improve his skating.

Reactions: hn777

broc

Dec 20, 2010
I'm not a big fan of his upside, so I probably wouldn't have taken him this high, but he was a definite first rounder. Hopefully he can improve his skating.
He had excellent #’s pretty well.

led USDP in goals, besting all those other guys. Also most goals in the under 18’s they won. He plays physical, well spoken, seems like good character, and will play Winnipeg style hockey. Not gonna lie, I was bummed when I heard Chicago pick Nazar before us, but the more I look, I really like this pick myself.

Also he seems like a guy who will bring a quality culture to the room, which everyone seems to think is ruined with our current leaders

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Great pick by Winnipeg. Wouldn't surprise me if he leads this draft class in points. I think his scoring ability, goal scoring and assisting, is that good. Has no weaknesses. People claim his skating is weak. Don't see that. I think he's also undervalued because he wasn't used at center the last two years. He's a natural center. I think he's more of a center than some of the other NTDP players they used at center. Wouldn't surprise me if we are looking back on this pick in 10 years, and he's one of the best centers in the NHL.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Really good pick. Can't believe how low he was on a lot of public lists. This kid is a gamer. The only knock is his skating but he knows that, and is clearly wanting to work on it a lot. Really smart player, plays in the dirty areas, also has a pretty deadly shot. Would not surprise me one bit if he ended up the best player from this USNTDP team. Reminds me of Robertson, and the critiques people gave Robertson which is likely why he fell to the second.

Thechozen1

Sep 8, 2021
He had excellent #’s pretty well.

led USDP in goals, besting all those other guys. Also most goals in the under 18’s they won. He plays physical, well spoken, seems like good character, and will play Winnipeg style hockey. Not gonna lie, I was bummed when I heard Chicago pick Nazar before us, but the more I look, I really like this pick myself.

Also he seems like a guy who will bring a quality culture to the room, which everyone seems to think is ruined with our current leaders
Yeah, I wanted Nazar, but really didn’t expect him to make it to 14 but was so close. I had McGroarty as my realistic choice weeks ago so I’m happy!!!

Reactions: Flair Hay

vildurson

Jun 2, 2021
Winnipeg has potentially interesting center core developing here. Perfetti, Lambert, McGroarty and Lucius.

McGroarty was a guy who was in his element when games got rough and similar to NHL level pace even in juniors. If he fixes his skating to a good enough level, he is gonna be a good contender for 2nd center spot in Winnipeg. (While Lambert & Perfetti duke it out for 1st center spot I believe)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad