F Rodion Amirov (2020, 15th, TOR) - tragically passed away due to brain tumor 8/14/23

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
However, something about his game is unconvincing to me. You see a kid with all this skill, creating advantages for his team mates, getting to dangerous spots on the ice. And that's it. You can only say ''almost!'' so many times before you start noticing a pattern. There are quite a few prospects who could do more with the opportunities Amirov gets than Amirov does. Take a guy like Mysak for example. He's a pretty unassuming character until he gets a clear look at the net. Amirov is quite the opposite: #27 in green is pretty easy to spot, he's always on the puck, he's always making good plays, but more often than not he'll leave you wanting more. Or at least that's been my feeling when watching him.

Extremely well put, I've got the exact same feelings when watching him play.

He makes himself very noticeable on the ice with his skating, skills, effort and very responsible all around game, but it feels like he doesn't really have neither high end playmaking or goal scoring ability, so the end result just doesn't match the looks. I've started to doubt if he can actually become a consistent top 6 point producer in the NHL, which is why he has dropped in my rankings.

Hopefully I'm wrong, because I really like the player he is majority of the time. But if he can't produce consistently, I'm not sure if he'll stick in the NHL for too long, if he ever gets there.

All these concerns sound very similar to the concerns people had with Podkolzin in his draft year. Now Podkolzin didn't get the KHL opportunities like Amirov has in his draft year but, it was noted that Amirov has looked good at the KHL level and noticeable. He has shown the ability to produce at lower levels. Some of the lack of finish could just be nerves or being snake bitten but I wouldn't doubt or judge to much his top 6 potential just yet, he's still very young.

jvr32

Oct 24, 2016
Skilled, but soft and not a great skater. Doesn't drive the net, and doesn't compensate enough in other areas for his lack of compete. Inconsistent effort. He will struggle like Kravtsov and Dorofeyev have in their post-draft seasons. Teams should have learned their lesson by now. Wouldn't touch him in the first round.

Last edited:

TheWhiskeyThief

Dec 24, 2017
I was pretty close to ranking him very highly in this draft. Early in the season he was playing with Burmistrov on the big team, and that line could hold onto the puck in-zone for entire shifts. Amirov was a big part of that. Some of the stuff he was pulling off against KHL opposition was really impressive. For example, in one KHL game that I watched, he had 8 shots on goal. His greatest strength is definitely driving possession: getting pucks, using his puck skills to maintain possession, and making good passes to open team mates.

However, something about his game is unconvincing to me. You see a kid with all this skill, creating advantages for his team mates, getting to dangerous spots on the ice. And that's it. You can only say ''almost!'' so many times before you start noticing a pattern. There are quite a few prospects who could do more with the opportunities Amirov gets than Amirov does. Take a guy like Mysak for example. He's a pretty unassuming character until he gets a clear look at the net. Amirov is quite the opposite: #27 in green is pretty easy to spot, he's always on the puck, he's always making good plays, but more often than not he'll leave you wanting more. Or at least that's been my feeling when watching him.

Sorta the KHL experience in a nutshell, isn’t it?

Tried to get caught up on his games via the KHL app, but the streams are garbage; almost like watching a bad stream off of Onhockey dot whatever.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
He's in my 12-17 tier (so far). Order is almost interchangeable.

12Dawson Mercer
13Jack Quinn
14Rodion Amirov
15Noel Gunler
16Seth Jarvis
17Dylan Holloway
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I wouldn't be shocked to see Quinn in the top 10. I would be surprised to see any of the others there.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I wouldn't be shocked to see Quinn in the top 10. I would be surprised to see any of the others there.
Could happen. He can score and he can generate chances.
This is what I said about Quinn on the Sens board
"Quinn's goal to assist ratio could be more balanced. 52 g , 37 a. Quinn had 10 primary assists at even strength.
Quinn played on one of if not the strongest team in the CHL and he played on a 2nd line. Teams would have necessarily focused on Rossi as much as they could

I will say I really like Quinn. He seems like a really nice kid and a good valley boy to boot. He showed very nice abilities to generate offense for himself and he was responsible defensively. Even strength goals for and against when he's on the ice 77 34. For comparison Rossi was 103 and 35."​

I've seen several people suggest it .. I just can't see the argument for him above these prospects
1Alexis Lafreniere
2Quinton Byfield
3Tim Stutzle
4Lucas Raymond
5Jamie Drysdale
6Marco Rossi
7Cole Perfetti
8Anton Lundell
9Yaroslav Askarov
10Alexander Holtz
11Jake Sanderson
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

I will listen on Lundell and Askarov but imo they are both more accomplished prospects. Holtz well .. I think he finds a way to stick in the top 10.

McGilliScout

Apr 12, 2020
Could happen. He can score and he can generate chances.
This is what I said about Quinn on the Sens board
"Quinn's goal to assist ratio could be more balanced. 52 g , 37 a. Quinn had 10 primary assists at even strength.
Quinn played on one of if not the strongest team in the CHL and he played on a 2nd line. Teams would have necessarily focused on Rossi as much as they could

I will say I really like Quinn. He seems like a really nice kid and a good valley boy to boot. He showed very nice abilities to generate offense for himself and he was responsible defensively. Even strength goals for and against when he's on the ice 77 34. For comparison Rossi was 103 and 35."​

I've seen several people suggest it .. I just can't see the argument for him above these prospects
1Alexis Lafreniere
2Quinton Byfield
3Tim Stutzle
4Lucas Raymond
5Jamie Drysdale
6Marco Rossi
7Cole Perfetti
8Anton Lundell
9Yaroslav Askarov
10Alexander Holtz
11Jake Sanderson
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
I will listen on Lundell and Askarov but imo they are both more accomplished prospects. Holtz well .. I think he finds a way to stick in the top 10.

I agree. I can't help but think Quinn in the top ten is a huge reach. My thing with Quinn is it's not often you find Jr players who score that many more goals than assists and see it translate to the NHL. I do like him as a prospect, absolutely a late teen/early twenties pick for me but I am a lot more hesitant on him than most. While I have Quinn and Amirov in the same tier, I have Amirov near the very top and Quinn about midway through (I do big tiers so I'm talking in the 11-25 range).

Dan10900

May 10, 2020
Amirov is currently 12th in my ratings, having only seen his MHL games, anyone notice and flaws in his KHL/VHL games that are worrying

tcat84

Sep 15, 2014
Amirov is currently 12th in my ratings, having only seen his MHL games, anyone notice and flaws in his KHL/VHL games that are worrying

Just a bit of strength issues against that calibre, his pass decisions are "safe" but good.

It doesn't seem like he has any glaring weaknesses.

I haven't watched him much, just what I've heard/read

Reactions: Dan10900

Dan10900

May 10, 2020
Just a bit of strength issues against that calibre, his pass decisions are "safe" but good.

It doesn't seem like he has any glaring weaknesses.

I haven't watched him much, just what I've heard/read
That's what I've heard as well, basically to be expected for a guy in his DY in the KHL

BobMarleyNYR

Rangers future on D
May 2, 2004
Alphabet
Skilled, but soft and not a great skater. Doesn't drive the net, and doesn't compensate enough in other areas for his lack of compete. Inconsistent effort. He will struggle like Kravtsov and Dorofeyev have in their post-draft seasons. Teams should have learned their lesson by now. Wouldn't touch him in the first round.
OOPS! Kravtsov st records as a rookie.

tcat84

Sep 15, 2014
Well, near itin 18 y.o. rookie scoring .

I'm splitting hairs but he turned 19 in Dec of that season FYI.

He had the 9th amount of points by an U20 player in the KHL history specially. 20th in P/G with guys that played more than 20 GP in a season.

He had 21 pts in 50 gp. Kaprizov has the U20 record with 42 pts in 49 gp. The best U19 season was Tolvanen with 36 pts in 49 gp.

Players had more points were Kaprizov x 2, Kuznetsov x 2, Tarasenko, Buchnevich, Filatov, Tolvanen

So he didn't come that close but he had a very good season and was in good company. I'm not trying to be a know it all dick I was just going through the stats and thought I'd share.

Reactions: BobMarleyNYR

tcat84

Sep 15, 2014
Haha I just tried to post the same video but you beat me!

I don't know how to delete a reply so... Great video Scouching is great stuff

Reactions: Llamamoto49

CaptTennille

President of the Blair Betts Fan Club
May 24, 2017
Brooklyn
On first glance I understand why the Kravtsov comparison seems to pop up when talking about Amirov (both fluid skating wingers w/ dynamic puck skills & good release in motion) but I think Amirov thinks the game WAY better without the puck and would probably have an easier transition to NA hockey based solely on the fact that he seems to do a lot of the little things that coaches love instinctually (utilize teammates, get to the goalmouth, not cheat for offense). This is just my opinion mind you.

Kravtsov on the other hand is much more offense oriented and confident in his goal scoring abilities. His defensive play seemed to improve throughout the season given his rough start in Hartford, but he essentially seems like a top six or bust type of player who needs to learn the meat and potatoes aspect of NA hockey that will help him adapt his tool-chest.

I think Amirov can become a good NHL player even if he never grows more confident in his offensive abilities or learns to become more deceptive in small areas to buy time and space. He instinctively seems to put himself in better spots and doesn't force things like Kravtsov has been prone to do - and I say this as a Ranger's fan.

Reactions: ConnorMcMullet

BobMarleyNYR

Rangers future on D
May 2, 2004
Alphabet
I'm splitting hairs but he turned 19 in Dec of that season FYI.

He had the 9th amount of points by an U20 player in the KHL history specially. 20th in P/G with guys that played more than 20 GP in a season.

He had 21 pts in 50 gp. Kaprizov has the U20 record with 42 pts in 49 gp. The best U19 season was Tolvanen with 36 pts in 49 gp.

Players had more points were Kaprizov x 2, Kuznetsov x 2, Tarasenko, Buchnevich, Filatov, Tolvanen

So he didn't come that close but he had a very good season and was in good company. I'm not trying to be a know it all dick I was just going through the stats and thought I'd share.
Not at all. I'm a Rangers fan (weird gig for sure) by the looks of it, you know more than I do.

Reactions: tcat84

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad