F Rodion Amirov (2020, 15th, TOR) - tragically passed away due to brain tumor 8/14/23

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
His trajectory is very Kravtsov-esque. Late birthdate, nearly a PPG in the MHL in his draft-1 season, looks poised to get plenty of KHL ice time in his draft year on a traditionally good, solid KHL team - both very reminiscent of Kravtsov's draft-1 and draft year. Also staying at home in Russia and outpacing guys who were hyped at an earlier age. Not as physically imposing of a frame like Kravtsov (but definitely has good NHL size) - would be fitting if he ends up both the top Russian selected and near that #10 spot...seems like a reasonable projection. If his role this pre-season reflects how important Salavat will consider him for this KHL season, this is a "buy" stock for sure and a guy whose thread here on HF is going to grow quite quickly as people catch on.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
Stud. Ranked No. 5 for me. Not a single blemish in over 20 games watching him dating back to last season. Plays a throwback style to the old Red Army forwards — aggressive, shifty, powerful, elite puck control, excellent board play.

Ponomaryov is excellent as well but Amirov plays like he’s 3-4 years older. Much like Podkolzin, I’m happily anchored to him.

Reactions: weems

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Stud. Ranked No. 5 for me. Not a single blemish in over 20 games watching him dating back to last season. Plays a throwback style to the old Red Army forwards — aggressive, shifty, powerful, elite puck control, excellent board play.

Ponomaryov is excellent as well but Amirov plays like he’s 3-4 years older. Much like Podkolzin, I’m happily anchored to him.

Yeah, but he didn't impress me at that U20 tournament lately. It could, of course, be lack of chemistry, but still I expected more from him.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Sounds like he’s playing very well in the preseason.

This kid has some serious talent from what I’ve seen.

Not sure if he’ll crack the top 10-15 in a very deep draft, but he looks like a 1st rounder to me, barring some unforeseeable circumstance.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Great skill and composure playing against grown men in the worlds second best league. Long season and Amur isn’t some powerhouse but if he can keep up this kind of play, SK’s ranking is going to look pretty realistic. This kid looks like a gem and has shown nothing but upside and skyrocketing stock early on this season.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
He's built on shift by shift basis in this game. Doing a lot of good things. He's had at least two good looks on net himself, and created at least two more. Impressive stuff.

Reactions: BKarchitect

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Rodion is awesome, I really enjoy watching him. He had 8 shots on goal today, but his first KHL goal remains elusive. Very impressive showing, though.

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
How's his season going as of late? I'm not familiar with him but from what I read here he seems like a good 1, be interesting to see where he ends up getting picked.

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
Can anyone who watches him play comment on his playing style, strengths, and weaknesses? Where do you see him getting picked in the draft?

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Can anyone who watches him play comment on his playing style, strengths, and weaknesses? Where do you see him getting picked in the draft?

He's an offensive minded winger. Best part of his game is probably his goal-scoring. Good shot, and can also score some near the net, as he has very good hands. Good high IQ. He passes the puck well and can some some creativity with the puck, although he's looking to score usually, not create scoring opportunities for teammates. Skating isn't bad, but it could use some work. He's not a speedster. He also needs to get stronger and work on his defense, but neither are big weaknesses.

I think he'll probably go somewhere in the first round after the first ten picks. His range is hard to predict because he's playing in Russia, but I find it hard to believe he won't be a first round pick.

Reactions: ConnorMcMullet

PuckProspects

Jul 23, 2018

A few of his highlights in the MHL this year. Not getting talked about too much but should easily be a top 20 pick imo.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011

I was pretty close to ranking him very highly in this draft. Early in the season he was playing with Burmistrov on the big team, and that line could hold onto the puck in-zone for entire shifts. Amirov was a big part of that. Some of the stuff he was pulling off against KHL opposition was really impressive. For example, in one KHL game that I watched, he had 8 shots on goal. His greatest strength is definitely driving possession: getting pucks, using his puck skills to maintain possession, and making good passes to open team mates.

However, something about his game is unconvincing to me. You see a kid with all this skill, creating advantages for his team mates, getting to dangerous spots on the ice. And that's it. You can only say ''almost!'' so many times before you start noticing a pattern. There are quite a few prospects who could do more with the opportunities Amirov gets than Amirov does. Take a guy like Mysak for example. He's a pretty unassuming character until he gets a clear look at the net. Amirov is quite the opposite: #27 in green is pretty easy to spot, he's always on the puck, he's always making good plays, but more often than not he'll leave you wanting more. Or at least that's been my feeling when watching him.

Kase

May 1, 2016
I was pretty close to ranking him very highly in this draft. Early in the season he was playing with Burmistrov on the big team, and that line could hold onto the puck in-zone for entire shifts. Amirov was a big part of that. Some of the stuff he was pulling off against KHL opposition was really impressive. For example, in one KHL game that I watched, he had 8 shots on goal. His greatest strength is definitely driving possession: getting pucks, using his puck skills to maintain possession, and making good passes to open team mates.

However, something about his game is unconvincing to me. You see a kid with all this skill, creating advantages for his team mates, getting to dangerous spots on the ice. And that's it. You can only say ''almost!'' so many times before you start noticing a pattern. There are quite a few prospects who could do more with the opportunities Amirov gets than Amirov does. Take a guy like Mysak for example. He's a pretty unassuming character until he gets a clear look at the net. Amirov is quite the opposite: #27 in green is pretty easy to spot, he's always on the puck, he's always making good plays, but more often than not he'll leave you wanting more. Or at least that's been my feeling when watching him.

Extremely well put, I've got the exact same feelings when watching him play.

He makes himself very noticeable on the ice with his skating, skills, effort and very responsible all around game, but it feels like he doesn't really have neither high end playmaking or goal scoring ability, so the end result just doesn't match the looks. I've started to doubt if he can actually become a consistent top 6 point producer in the NHL, which is why he has dropped in my rankings.

Hopefully I'm wrong, because I really like the player he is majority of the time. But if he can't produce consistently, I'm not sure if he'll stick in the NHL for too long, if he ever gets there.

Reactions: NotProkofievian

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad