Confirmed with Link: F Noah Gregor signs PTO

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Sounds similar but a bit more willing to engage physically and pass the puck. Although Kapanen also had a pretty heavy shot (usually aimed at the goalie's chest).

You don't remember when Boyd Deveraux scored a hatty against Ottawa in 2009, which cost us a chance at the #1 overall pick and the possibility of drafting Tavares or Hedman that year?

I thought he cost us Brayden Schenn?

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
I thought he cost us Brayden Schenn?

There was a 6 team lottery for the 1st overall pick that year, and we finished 7th, 2 points ahead of the 5th and 6th team. So could have been Schenn but with a little luck could have been JT or Hedman (probably JT).

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
You don't remember when Boyd Deveraux scored a hatty against Ottawa in 2009, which cost us a chance at the #1 overall pick and the possibility of drafting Tavares or Hedman that year?
That doesn't sound right.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
There was a 6 team lottery for the 1st overall pick that year, and we finished 7th, 2 points ahead of the 5th and 6th team. So could have been Schenn but with a little luck could have been JT or Hedman (probably JT).
You're incorrect - it wasn't a 6 team lotto, all teams that missed the playoffs were in the lottery. These were the lotto odds for 1OA:

1. NYI : 25.0%
2. TBL: 18.8%
3. COL: 14.2%
4. ATL: 10.7%
5. LAK: 8.1%
6. PHO: 6.2%
7. TOR: 4.7%
8. DAL: 3.6%
9. OTT: 2.7%
10. EDM: 2.1%
11. NSH: 1.5%
12. MIN: 1.1%
13. BUF: 0.8%
14. FLA: 0.5%

Had we finished 5th worst instead of 7th worst (which would've required losing the final game in regulation, a game that we won 5-2), we would have bumped our odds from 4.7% to 8.1%. And the Isles ended up winning regardless.

A more accurate statement is that, if we'd lost that game in regulation, we would've had the option to pick Brayden Schenn or OEL instead of Naz. The hand wringing at the time was "that win cost us Schenn", not "that win cost us better Tavares odds", because the odds were a major longshot either way. In the end Kadri ended up at least as good as Schenn, IMO a touch better, so that win didn't really mean anything when it was all said and done.

Last edited:

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
seems like a guy with a decent motor and compete level. Even if he doesn't make the team it is always a good thing to have guys in camp fighting for their careers. He is not necessarily over the hill either. I feel like he could be a guy that raises the intensity of camp. I've already watched about 4 of his scraps on YouTube. All of which were the result of either him answering the bell or coming to his teammate's aid. Which says something.

By no means am I suggesting this guy is the next coming of Darcy Tucker, but I have always appreciated a player who is willing to bring something else when other aspects of their games are not hitting the mark.

I'm excited to see what he brings to camp.

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
Kapanen has a respectable career shooting percentage. He really doesn't shoot enough or for some reason doesn't get in positions to shoot despite his speed. Also he is reasonably physical.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
You're incorrect - it wasn't a 6 team lotto, all teams that missed the playoffs were in the lottery. These were the lotto odds for 1OA:

Had we finished 5th worst instead of 7th worst (which would've required losing the final game in regulation, a game that we won 5-2), we would have bumped our odds from 4.7% to 8.1%. And the Isles ended up winning regardless.

A more accurate statement is that, if we'd lost that game in regulation, we would've had the option to pick Brayden Schenn or OEL instead of Naz. The hand wringing at the time was "that win cost us Schenn", not "that win cost us better Tavares odds", because the odds were a major longshot either way. In the end Kadri ended up at least as good as Schenn, IMO a touch better, so that win didn't really mean anything when it was all said and done.

Thanks for the correction. Did CBC get it wrong or might you be conflating the new lotto system with the old?

"Only the bottom six teams will have ping-pong balls in the lottery and the Leafs ended the schedule seventh."

But really my central point was...nearly anyone is capable of scoring one hattrick.

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
71685-1.jpg

That's Sir Gregor to you.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Looks like he's an offensive player by nature who has never really been given that opportunity at the NHL level, on a terrible team nonetheless. Doesn't kill penalties. He's miscast on a 4th line I'm guessing but may only be a tweener talent like Gambrel.
Noah Gregor last year of junior hockey ...

1694031031827.png

43 goals in 63 games in regular season and 13 goals in 23 games in the playoffs.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017

Advice from Jay Rosehill

0% chance he makes the team IMO...

Could earn a contract and he'd likely clear waivers, wouldn't be a bad callup option, but still hope we give the kids sometime this year.

I know he is young-ish, but it'd be nice to see what we have in some other guys too.

Once

Stop ******* crying bro
Jul 16, 2010
Gregor is fast but can’t hit the net.

This years Zach Aston-Reese.

Gregor - Lafferty - Reaves

Could provide some entertainment.
Honestly why not. 2/3rds have wheels and the whole line is gritty.

Someone like McMann could/should snag that 4th LW though. More competition is great.

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
0% chance he makes the team IMO...

Could earn a contract and he'd likely clear waivers, wouldn't be a bad callup option, but still hope we give the kids sometime this year.

I know he is young-ish, but it'd be nice to see what we have in some other guys too.
Our kids aren't kids unless you mean Robertson.
McMann 27
Holmberg 24
Gregor 25

I am less worried about age and more worried about who can help this season for the bottom 6.
We need some AAAA centre depth

Reactions: Shanwhatplan

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Our kids aren't kids unless you mean Robertson.
McMann 27
Holmberg 24
Gregor 25

I am less worried about age and more worried about who can help this season for the bottom 6.
We need some AAAA centre depth

Robertson and Holmberg at the very least should be ahead of him.

I know McMann is not young, but he has some upside, and he is young as far as experience goes, so I'd like to see what you can get out of him.

Same for Steeves and Abruzzese, they are 23/24, but I'd rather they get some games in than a known commodity.

Just my 2c, I think you know what you'd be getting with Gregor, he is fine as depth, but I hope he is not the first call-up.

If our season hinges on our 15th forward, we have some issues.

Also not sure Gregor is a C.

To sum it up: good if we can sign him and he clears waivers, I just hope we let some inexperienced players get some games before him, let's see what we have in some of the "kids".

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
I love this fourth line

Gregor - Lafferty - Reaves

Perfect mix of size, speed and tenacity for a modern day gritty fourth line.

Reactions: Kurtz

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005

On further reflection, unfortunately you're incorrect.

Back in 2009 the most a team could move up in the lottery was 4 spots. So had we lost that game, we would have been tied for 5th last, but had the loto tie-breaker over LAK and PHO giving us the 5th best odds and a chance to move up to 1 and a shot at JT or Hedman.

That's why Boyd's hatty in that final game was such a memorable annoyance.

Last edited:

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
On further reflection, unfortunately you're incorrect.

Back in 2009 the most a team could move up in the lottery was 4 spots. So had we lost that game, we would have been tied for 5th last, but had the loto tie-breaker over LAK and PHO giving us the 5th best odds and a chance to move up to 1 and a shot at JT or Hedman.

That's why Boyd's hatty in that final game was such a memorable annoyance.
Nobody really expected JT or a lottery win, but the thought of the Schenn brothers was a huge draw for some here

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad