F Morgan Barron (2017, 174th, NYR; traded to WPG)

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
He has 32 points in 31 games. I’d like to see him signed after this season. Over 1PPG is enough for a player to start playing pro hockey. If you wait another year to try to sign him, it gives him incentive to wait a year further and be a free agent. The fact that he plays for an Ivy League program has to be considered in this equation, as well. I think you have to try to get Ivy League players signed earlier.

Last edited:
Reactions: GrittyHawkDown

TheKingSlayer

He was in the way!
Mar 12, 2008
Ottawa
Let him prove that he can go PPG again - and take advantage of the extra year of college training. For a late round pick, you have to take your time.

Hockey Know it all

Mar 10, 2019
Let him prove that he can go PPG again - and take advantage of the extra year of college training. For a late round pick, you have to take your time.

Exactly.

Let him play another 35+ games against older players one more year, train hard then come over one year older and stronger.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I've changed my mind. Send him back another year. Didn't end the season well the last month of the season. Reports indicate he had a quiet game yesterday, despite scoring a goal. I watched today's game, and thought he was bad. Skating and playmaking need work.

He's not a blue-chipper. If he decides to reject the Rangers contract offer after another season to become a free agent the following season, we aren't losing a top six prospect. Prospects of Barron's caliber are replaceable. Hartford also can't develop anyone, so that also works in favor of sending him back another year.

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
I've changed my mind. Send him back another year. Didn't end the season well the last month of the season. Reports indicate he had a quiet game yesterday, despite scoring a goal. I watched today's game, and thought he was bad. Skating and playmaking need work.

He's not a blue-chipper. If he decides to reject the Rangers contract offer after another season to become a free agent the following season, we aren't losing a top six prospect. Prospects of Barron's caliber are replaceable. Hartford also can't develop anyone, so that also works in favor of sending him back another year.
I thought he was good yesterday and I haven’t seen anyone say he was quiet. But I’ve said it before during the season, despite his numbers, he still has stuff he could do better. He’s probably right on the fence of if he should turn pro or not and that I’d probably lean toward him going back another year, but I’d understand it if he turned pro

Reactions: Lays

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
He has 32 points in 31 games. I’d like to see him signed after this season. Over 1PPG is enough for a player to start playing pro hockey. If you wait another year to try to sign him, it gives him incentive to wait a year further and be a free agent. The fact that he plays for an Ivy League program has to be considered in this equation, as well. I think you have to try to get Ivy League players signed earlier.

Day 1 : He should turn pro! I looked at hockeydb and he is a PPG player!
Day 2: I watched him, he had a quiet game, he needs to stay another year in the NCAA!

Thanks as always for your excellent insight.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017

Sure he’s not a stud prospect but you act like losing him would be nothing. Barron is a good prospect that initially was a confusing pick but has turned into a PPG scorer for his NCAA team in his sophomore year. His skating is actually considered very good for his size as well. While unlikely, he has top 6 potential for sure. Comments like these are why you’ve become so unregarded around here

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Comments like these are why you’ve become so unregarded around here

Who says I'm unregarded around here? I wouldn't care, if I was. I don't need to be regarded on an internet message board. But I've yet to see much to back up your assertion. Could it be by the Gorton cheerleaders I have on ignore? If so, I don't read what they say for a reason.

While we're on the topic of Gorton cheerleaders, it appears like thats what you are doing here. I made a comment that goes against what the front office would want to portray that all Ranger prospects are stars, so you've decided there's a need to attack me because I voiced a pretty common sense opinion that a player who didn't even average 1PPG in his second NCAA season doesn't have top six potential. Most players with actual top six potential do not reach their second or third college seasons, and the ones that do are usually among the best players in college hockey during those years.

I would guess that most who have seen Barron play and have followed his development over the past two years do not believe he'll be a top six forward in the NHL. Could he have top six potential? Its possible. Its also possible that every team in the league will get disqualified and the Rangers will be awarded the Cup by default. Anything is possible, but something being likely and possible are two very different things. Barron reaching the NHL and being a valuable bottom six forward would be good result for a 6th round pick.

But I'll defer to your expertise. You know everything, and are always right.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Who says I'm unregarded around here? I wouldn't care, if I was. I don't need to be regarded on an internet message board. But I've yet to see much to back up your assertion. Could it be by the Gorton cheerleaders I have on ignore? If so, I don't read what they say for a reason.

While we're on the topic of Gorton cheerleaders, it appears like thats what you are doing here. I made a comment that goes against what the front office would want to portray that all Ranger prospects are stars, so you've decided there's a need to attack me because I voiced a pretty common sense opinion that a player who didn't even average 1PPG in his second NCAA season doesn't have top six potential. Most players with actual top six potential do not reach their second or third college seasons, and the ones that do are usually among the best players in college hockey during those years.

I would guess that most who have seen Barron play and have followed his development over the past two years do not believe he'll be a top six forward in the NHL. Could he have top six potential? Its possible. Its also possible that every team in the league will get disqualified and the Rangers will be awarded the Cup by default. Anything is possible, but something being likely and possible are two very different things. Barron reaching the NHL and being a valuable bottom six forward would be good result for a 6th round pick.

All I said was he has top 6 potential and I even added it’s unlikely. You act like he’s a nothing prospect though which isn’t true considering his tools and production

Your last two sentences are ironic though because I usually include that’s it’s my opinion in my posts, I never act like I know everything for sure. You on the other hand act like your opinions are always right without evidence to back them up. I’m done here though

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017

Considering he actually uses logic and is well respected on the Ranger's board, i'd defer to his opinion any day of the week over yours. Oh and he also doesn't block everyone who has a different opinion than him.

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Oct 8, 2010

There’s a reason you only post here nowadays.

No one takes your opinion seriously over on the Rangers board, for good reason. @Lays blows you away in terms of knowledge.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
There’s a reason you only post here nowadays.

No one takes your opinion seriously over on the Rangers board, for good reason. @Lays blows you away in terms of knowledge.

Yes, and that reason is that I’ve had enough of the belligerent and delusional Gorton cheerleaders. You go cheer on a failed rebuild with the other cheerleaders. I quite frankly don’t have the desire to spend my time convincing those who are soldiers of the cause. I call it as I see it. I don’t have to go to bat for my teams management. Many of you feel that need and I feel bad for you.

I’m not competing with Lays or anyone for some knowledge base among posters on this website. Knock yourself out complimenting me and criticizing him, if that helps you sleep at night. But I don’t come here to be berated by the belligerent, so you’ll be the next on the ignore list. It’s actually quite sad that so many of you care so much to constantly berate a dissenter from the MSG directed talking point. I don’t care to do that to any of you.

Last edited:

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Yes, and that reason is that I’ve had enough of the belligerent and delusional Gorton cheerleaders. You go cheer on a failed rebuild with the other cheerleaders. I quite frankly don’t have the desire to spend my time convincing those who are soldiers of the cause. I call it as I see it. I don’t have to go to bat for my teams management. Many of you feel that need and I feel bad for you.

I’m not competing with Lays or anyone for some knowledge base among posters on this website. Knock yourself out complimenting me and criticizing him, if that helps you sleep at night. But I don’t come here to be berated by the belligerent, so you’ll be the next on the ignore list. It’s actually quite sad that so many of you care so much to constantly berate a dissenter from the MSG directed talking point. I don’t care to do that to any of you.

I still read your opinions on some players/prospects even though we don't always agree but how can you say it's a failed rebuild? Its been less than 2 years. Some teams are approaching a decade try to rebuild with success. The Rangers lack of draft picks from 2012 to pretty much 2017 would have decimated 95 percent of the teams in hockey. I don't know how anyone can definitely judge this rebuild (or whatever you wanna call it) as a whole until at least another few years (minimum).
I believe in what Gorton has done (not 100 percent with some of his signings and a few of his picks) but garnering 7 first round picks or more in 3 years has probably never happened in hockey. You wanna make specific criticisms of his signings and/or draft picks fine but to call this a failed rebuild already is just totally unfair and fallacious.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I still read your opinions on some players/prospects even though we don't always agree but how can you say it's a failed rebuild? Its been less than 2 years. Some teams are approaching a decade try to rebuild with success. The Rangers lack of draft picks from 2012 to pretty much 2017 would have decimated 95 percent of the teams in hockey. I don't know how anyone can definitely judge this rebuild (or whatever you wanna call it) as a whole until at least another few years (minimum).
I believe in what Gorton has done (not 100 percent with some of his signings and a few of his picks) but garnering 7 first round picks or more in 3 years has probably never happened in hockey. You wanna make specific criticisms of his signings and/or draft picks fine but to call this a failed rebuild already is just totally unfair and fallacious.

I shouldn't have used shorthand. Its starting to look a lot like a failed rebuild. It could turn around if the team drafts a 1C or 1D, but finishing 7th isn't going to help the chances of that.

The team has gotten their last two top 10 picks wrong. Andersson did not have the upside they claimed he had. I think they panicked once Pettersson wasn't on the board, and couldn't move down. They drafted the player on the board who was the most NHL ready of the remaining players, and we see that being "more NHL ready" doesn't matter if your readiness isn't as an impact player. Some will try to rationalize it by saying flip Chytil and Andersson's draft positions, so it doesn't look as bad, but that is backwards thinking. If you are rebuilding and pick at 7, you need to try to draft an impact NHL'er. Chytil at 7 and Andersson at 21 looks slightly better, but it doesn't get the team where it needs to get with acquiring impact players. Chytil is a good pick at 21. Impact player, he's not.

I think Kravtsov is going to be a good player, but taking a winger was the wrong decision with all the defensemen on the board. We should've picked Dobson, and we also once again got unlucky with the players picked right before us, like we did in 2017. There's a luck element to the draft. We've gotten very unlucky the past two drafts.

McDonagh trade was a travesty. I could keep going, but why do so in the Morgan Barron thread? Gorton has acquired a lot of prospects and picks, but with the assets of one of the best teams in the league for five years that he had to start the rebuild, that should be a minimum expectation for a rebuild. What's the point of not trading all these players? He has yet to acquire the types of players that end a rebuild. If he can't do that, he isn't doing a good job, in my opinion.

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
I shouldn't have used shorthand. Its starting to look a lot like a failed rebuild. It could turn around if the team drafts a 1C or 1D, but finishing 7th isn't going to help the chances of that.

The team has gotten their last two top 10 picks wrong. Andersson did not have the upside they claimed he had. I think they panicked once Pettersson wasn't on the board, and couldn't move down. They drafted the player on the board who was the most NHL ready of the remaining players, and we see that being "more NHL ready" doesn't matter if your readiness isn't as an impact player. Some will try to rationalize it by saying flip Chytil and Andersson's draft positions, so it doesn't look as bad, but that is backwards thinking. If you are rebuilding and pick at 7, you need to try to draft an impact NHL'er. Chytil at 7 and Andersson at 21 looks slightly better, but it doesn't get the team where it needs to get with acquiring impact players. Chytil is a good pick at 21. Impact player, he's not.

I think Kravtsov is going to be a good player, but taking a winger was the wrong decision with all the defensemen on the board. We should've picked Dobson, and we also once again got unlucky with the players picked right before us, like we did in 2017. There's a luck element to the draft. We've gotten very unlucky the past two drafts.

McDonagh trade was a travesty. I could keep going, but why do so in the Morgan Barron thread? Gorton has acquired a lot of prospects and picks, but with the assets of one of the best teams in the league for five years that he had to start the rebuild, that should be a minimum expectation for a rebuild. What's the point of not trading all these players? He has yet to acquire the types of players that end a rebuild. If he can't do that, he isn't doing a good job, in my opinion.

How can you determine that its looking like a failed rebuild after 1.5 years? You won't be able to tell if the rebuild is successful for 5+ years down the road once you start to see the prospects true ability. How are you so sure that Dobson is going to be more valuable than Kravtsov? If anything, Kravtsov looks way more promising than Dobson after this year. You expect to acquire players to end a rebuild in 18 months? You expect us to land 5 first overall picks in our rebuilding years, and unfortunately that isn't how it works.

But anyways Barron has been a nice surprise, if he becomes anything more than a 3rd liner that's just gravy

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
How can you determine that its looking like a failed rebuild after 1.5 years? You won't be able to tell if the rebuild is successful for 5+ years down the road once you start to see the prospects true ability. How are you so sure that Dobson is going to be more valuable than Kravtsov? If anything, Kravtsov looks way more promising than Dobson after this year. You expect to acquire players to end a rebuild in 18 months? You expect us to land 5 first overall picks in our rebuilding years, and unfortunately that isn't how it works.

So is the team going to try for a five year rebuild? McKenzie, Dreger, Friedman are putting rumors out there that the team could sign Panarin or Karlsson. If this is year two of a five year rebuild, we'll see how it goes. Year 3-5 will require adding top-tier talent.

I absolutely would not take Kravtsov over Dobson. Dobson plays the more valuable position, and I also think he's a better hockey player. What did Kravtsov do this year that was better than Dobson? I'm not saying Kravtsov isn't going to be good, but I didn't think it was the right pick.

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
So is the team going to try for a five year rebuild? McKenzie, Dreger, Friedman are putting rumors out there that the team could sign Panarin or Karlsson. If this is year two of a five year rebuild, we'll see how it goes. Year 3-5 will require adding top-tier talent.

I absolutely would not take Kravtsov over Dobson. Dobson plays the more valuable position, and I also think he's a better hockey player. What did Kravtsov do this year that was better than Dobson? I'm not saying Kravtsov isn't going to be good, but I didn't think it was the right pick.

Im not going to write a novel on Morgan Barron’s thread about how i respectfully disagree with you.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

TheWhiskeyThief

Dec 24, 2017

If he holds over 1 ppg this year, there’s no way he’s not getting signed, there’s no reason for him to go back.

Considering when his season might end and what may happen at the trade deadline, he could parachute in ahead of Kravtsov and send Rangers twitter into a ritual suicide pact.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad