F Marcel Barinka - HC Vítkovice, Czechia (2019 undrafted)

Babula

May 31, 2012
I was about Marcel is best Czech "19"nhl draft prospect. wonder if he is still about to be.

Tube Skates

May 12, 2016
Right now the Mooseheads play is quite erratic. They have a lot of new faces in the line up along with new coaching. In the 4 games that I've watched Marcel play it's very evident that he's had really good coaching. He has a good understanding of where he needs to be on the ice. He doesn't complicate things for his line mates or himself. Tall lanky and is a really good skater. He started a play tonight that got his team on the score sheet. Simply took the puck over the blue line dumped it to the defenceman and took a player with him. Opened up the ice for a nice tic tack toe play. Once the team gets some lines solidified I think he'll be on a pretty talented third line and have second powerplay duties.

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
authockeytxreports.wordpress.com
In the Czech U18 league playing for a dominant powerhouse perhaps.
I'm extremely familiar with the pertinent athletes and their skill levels. Simply because he is off to a bad start, does not mean he does not have the means to improve. Many athletes above him, meanwhile, are extremely hyped and are given far greater privileges but that does not indicate that they will sustain them.

DraftGuru

Mar 6, 2018
Right now the Mooseheads play is quite erratic. They have a lot of new faces in the line up along with new coaching. In the 4 games that I've watched Marcel play it's very evident that he's had really good coaching. He has a good understanding of where he needs to be on the ice. He doesn't complicate things for his line mates or himself. Tall lanky and is a really good skater. He started a play tonight that got his team on the score sheet. Simply took the puck over the blue line dumped it to the defenceman and took a player with him. Opened up the ice for a nice tic tack toe play. Once the team gets some lines solidified I think he'll be on a pretty talented third line and have second powerplay duties.
Interesting that you brought up good coaching. His grandfather (Mother's father) has had a very distinguished career coaching the Czech National Team, U20 team and many of the top club teams in the Czech Republic and is currently the head of the U18 program. His father was also a 2nd round pick of the Hawks.

Reactions: Tube Skates

cmcneil02

Dec 27, 2015
Marcel Barinka is still getting used to the North American hockey. Halifax had to start there season on a 15 game road trip due to arena renovations which is a little bit tough on many players. Last week he did end up getting 2 goals, 2 assists in 3 games which isn’t bad at all. Many players have a good showing in the 2nd half of the year. He’s currently playing on the third line. I do think he’s gonna be an awesome player and he’ll be drafted around the third or fourth rounds. I see him getting around 30-40 points this year as the season comes along. Gotta remember this is a highly skilled team and he’s gonna learn a lot this year and he will produce. Excited to see how he does.

Reactions: czechcanadian

czechcanadian

Dec 8, 2011
Ottawa
Marcel Barinka is still getting used to the North American hockey. Halifax had to start there season on a 15 game road trip due to arena renovations which is a little bit tough on many players. Last week he did end up getting 2 goals, 2 assists in 3 games which isn’t bad at all. Many players have a good showing in the 2nd half of the year. He’s currently playing on the third line. I do think he’s gonna be an awesome player and he’ll be drafted around the third or fourth rounds. I see him getting around 30-40 points this year as the season comes along. Gotta remember this is a highly skilled team and he’s gonna learn a lot this year and he will produce. Excited to see how he does.
Thank you for the update. Very hard to know what’s going on just based on stats. He has been extremely good on the international stage for Czechs, so naturally I had fairly high expectations for him coming to NA. Hopefully he can continue to acclimate well and starts to produce big time. I originally saw him as a 2nd round potential player.
Language barrier can be a big issue too.

Reactions: Coolmcneil

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
Look at Martin Pospisil in the Czech league. Same thing happened to him. Came over, was awful for the first half of the season, second half started lighting the lamp and almost finished top on his team scoring, got drafted, now is at almost 2 PPG in his second season.

It's Red Bull's fault, and I've been pointing it out for a while. This year their Rookie Cup program is in the U19 division of the Czech league, which makes much more sense. Prior to that, it was in the U18 division of the Czech league. Red Bull is extremely opposed, traditionally to playing players up. This has changed slightly in recent developments. So these players, if they'd stayed with Czech clubs, would have traditionally at least played U20 level hockey, if not even some Senior hockey. But these Red Bull kids, they've never really faced better than 16 and 17 year old Czech kids because of Red Bull's no-playing-up policy and suddenly they come to the USHL or CHL and they're expected to dominate right away. Not how it works, it's a whole new ballgame. Takes some time for them to adjust to the speed, to the physicality, to the requisite precision to play the game. On top of that, they have to adjust to the other normal factors like the size of the sheet. But clearly they're talented individuals, both heavily involved in their national team sides and both have incredible skills and physical talents, to write them off after ~15 games is ridiculous.

Wooren

no longer perennial 4th place losers
May 17, 2015
Prague
Look at Martin Pospisil in the Czech league. Same thing happened to him. Came over, was awful for the first half of the season, second half started lighting the lamp and almost finished top on his team scoring, got drafted, now is at almost 2 PPG in his second season.

It's Red Bull's fault, and I've been pointing it out for a while. This year their Rookie Cup program is in the U19 division of the Czech league, which makes much more sense. Prior to that, it was in the U18 division of the Czech league. Red Bull is extremely opposed, traditionally to playing players up. This has changed slightly in recent developments. So these players, if they'd stayed with Czech clubs, would have traditionally at least played U20 level hockey, if not even some Senior hockey. But these Red Bull kids, they've never really faced better than 16 and 17 year old Czech kids because of Red Bull's no-playing-up policy and suddenly they come to the USHL or CHL and they're expected to dominate right away. Not how it works, it's a whole new ballgame. Takes some time for them to adjust to the speed, to the physicality, to the requisite precision to play the game. On top of that, they have to adjust to the other normal factors like the size of the sheet. But clearly they're talented individuals, both heavily involved in their national team sides and both have incredible skills and physical talents, to write them off after ~15 games is ridiculous.
Are there more examples or just Pospisil? What if he just had a great development curve? Barinka did spent the last season in the Czech U18, however he played 20+ games for the U17 national teams, getting lots of quality games against the likes of USA, Canada, Russia etc.
Anyway, I am not writing him off because of poor start in the QMJHL, he simply never impressed me in the U17 whenever I watched him. Somehow he was producing at a good rate and even was the top Czech scorer at the Hlinka memorial. But did he look like the top player? Not really.

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
Are there more examples or just Pospisil? What if he just had a great development curve? Barinka did spent the last season in the Czech U18, however he played 20+ games for the U17 national teams, getting lots of quality games against the likes of USA, Canada, Russia etc.
Anyway, I am not writing him off because of poor start in the QMJHL, he simply never impressed me in the U17 whenever I watched him. Somehow he was producing at a good rate and even was the top Czech scorer at the Hlinka memorial. But did he look like the top player? Not really.
Good question.

Martin also played some games against relatively good teams in the WJC-18 though, but I would contend that there's a huge difference between playing a handful of games and playing half a season or a full season.

Jeremy McKenna had a slow first season out of Red Bull but saw a huge jump in his second season. Noah Dobson in his first season didn't start going until like mid-November, and had his best months in the spring. Sampo Ranta also took a year to adjust, but with Noah and Sampo I'm a bit more cautious to make a strong claim because they were at the age where kids usually struggle in those leagues. Also, they were all at Red Bull pre-Alps so they did get a handful of games against better competition.

But even Marcel I think bears witness to the notion. He started with 2 in 8, he's had 6 in the last 7. Those are small numbers so can't extrapolate too much from them, but it's definitely adjustment-type numbers. He's not the next Filip Zadina, I can guarantee you that right now, but while I can't support a claim that he necessarily will succeed, I think there's good reason to believe he'll finish the season respectably and be taken in one of the early-middle rounds.

cmcneil02

Dec 27, 2015
Barinka with another 2 point night yesterday! Halifax changed there lines up a bit and I think it really worked in there favour as they won that game 8-2. He played with Czech forward Ostap Safin (Edmonton) and Samuel Asselin an undrafted overager with 12 goals so far this season on a stacked third line. I’m telling you I guarentee this kid will be something later on into the season. Watch out.

Reactions: Tube Skates

Tube Skates

May 12, 2016
Barinka is a really good looking prospect. Right now he's rushing his reads a little bit but that's ok he's making the proper reads just needs to know he has more time. He has a shot like Adam Oates for those that remember him here. Has to work on that the most of anything. He's gonna get his chance to shine over Christmas/New Years. If he's healthy he should be able to put up some nice points totals

EnglishJet

Jul 18, 2014
Nova Scotia
Watching Barinka’s stat line is only half the story here; through the first ten games or so he hit 3 or 4 posts and was the “third assist” on sooo many goals. He’s been affecting play from day one, just not necessarily reflected in the box score. Kids good!

cmcneil02

Dec 27, 2015
12E9F315-310C-40A5-9F67-DEB46BB1C666.png
Put up another assist tonight. Beautiful behind the net pass. Probably the strongest third line in the league because lots of the goals the Moose score are being produced on that line. The new lines Mooseheads have made are really working. Only huge improvement I want to see from him at this time is his accuracy and puck control.

Also to those who believe his stats are bad you’re wrong. He’s only 17 years old coming over to a country he’s never been to before. Heck I’m almost 17 and I would be very nervous.. Players like Timo Meier and Nikolaj Ehlers we’re the same way as him in their first halves but look where they’re now. I’m not saying Barinka will be a first round selection even though it is possible. But to all imports there is that waiting period. Hockey there is not the same as hockey here. Started the year on a 15 game road trip as well. 13 of those games being in different arenas. I’d feel a slight discomfort in those situations especially with the fact they speak French which Marcel probably only knows simple words like “Bonjour” and “Amis”. Anyways he’s the guy I’ve been watching the most on the ice this year out of all the players. Consider me a scout lmao. Hope I’m not overhyping him too much. Also yes I know Halifax’s camera quality is terrible.

EnglishJet

Jul 18, 2014
Nova Scotia
Had two goals tonight and was one of the most dangerous players on the ice. His line of him, Safin, and Asselin was everywhere, penning Bathurst (who are horrible!!) in their own end on pretty much every shift. Good passing, good shooting, he's really starting to come into his own. Not ready to project where he gets drafted yet but I'm fascinated to see what he becomes as he gets more comfortable and gains more chemistry with his line mates.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Anyone got a breakdown of his points? Eg. have they all come more recently? Sounds like he's heating up!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad