F Juraj Slafkovsky - TPS, Finland U20 (2022 Draft)

Status
Not open for further replies.

xyzed

Jun 25, 2012
It is not a great skater, it is kind of obvious... He has a great shot, great board play and he has already filled at 220 pounds a 6'4 frame at 18 y old, which is quite unusual.

I think his ceiling is Rantanen, his floor is Nichushkin/Armia.

Wright's ceiling is a Bergeron/O'Reilly kind of #1 C and his floor is like a Trochek/Schenn kind of 2 C.

If I were Montreal, I'd go with Wright. At worst he'll be a solid, 2 way C behind Suzuki. At best he could become a top 5 C in the NHL in 4-5 years. Risk is low, and reward still quite high.
He is a very good skater. And its not just my opinion but I also heard many actual experts, scouts, former NHL players saying the same. Its definitely not a concern

Hacketts

Jul 12, 2018
It is not a great skater, it is kind of obvious... He has a great shot, great board play and he has already filled at 220 pounds a 6'4 frame at 18 y old, which is quite unusual.

Wright's ceiling is a Bergeron/O'Reilly kind of #1 C and his floor is like a Trochek/Schenn kind of 2 C.

If I were Montreal, I'd go with Wright. At worst he'll be a solid, 2 way C behind Suzuki. At best he could become a top 5 C in the NHL in 4-5 years. Risk is low, and reward still quite high.
dwigt gif.gif

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
He has a weird stride. But I feel like his speed is actually pretty decent for his size.

I would say that there isn't a single player in the draft that doesn't have concerns. Even wright
There are no concerns with Wright’s skating (great technique, good first step and good acceleration) and Cooley is a speed demon.

Slaf has a slow first step but once he is a few strides in, he has good acceleration and speed for his size. He needs to work on his fast twitch muscle response and agility to improve his first step, especially on a smaller NHL ice surface. On international ice, Slaf has room, time and space to build speed. On NA ice he would be stopped dead before he started.

Cooley is the most dynamic skater in the top 10. He looks like Yakopov when he skates and that’s a compliment.

Last edited:

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
He is a very good skater. And its not just my opinion but I also heard many actual experts, scouts, former NHL players saying the same. Its definitely not a concern
No, he's not a really good skater. That is one of his main flaws actually. Does not mean he won't get better, but he's not a "very good skater". Clearly below NHL average.

Reactions: Jeune Poulet

vladis271

May 13, 2022
I’m still not sure, although I don’t agree every player has clear concerns. Wright doesn’t, and you could make an argument that some others don’t have any concerns, at least not clear concerns.
Wright's career does not look like it has an adjusting curve. Since he was 16 It has deteriorated. Covid year and lack of hockey did not help. He should have gone to Europe in order to play hockey. Wright definitely has concerns.

xyzed

Jun 25, 2012
No, he's not a really good skater. That is one of his main flaws actually. Does not mean he won't get better, but he's not a "very good skater". Clearly below NHL average.
well its hard to agree with that but ok, thats your opinion

vlady

May 22, 2009
Bratislava
www.powerplay.studio
Slaf has been poorly utilized on the Slovak PP at these championships. I think he could have had more goals if he played on the half wall instead of in front of the net. He barely gets the puck on the PP because the rest of the unit fails to get the puck to the net. Coaches want a big body in front of the net, but sacrificing the most talented guy to do the dirty work seems a little counter productive to me.

Still, he has managed 7 points in 6 games so far. For the second straight international tournament he is our best forward. He also leads the team in shots on goal.

I haven't seen any of his Liiga games, only the highlights. My take regarding his production is that he took a while to figure out how to score at the senior level. Even on the national team he was struggling to put the points on the board in spite of getting into plenty of high quality chances (I refer to WCh 2021 and Olympic qualification). He seemed properly snake bitten. Once he broke through at the Olympics, his Liiga numbers also improved.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
So Pavel, once again.
At the beginning of the season you listed Nemec as a 2nd rounder (!!) - I wrote you that you are completely wrong here...
In the middle of the season you had Slafkovsky outside of your top 20 multiple times (!!) - I repeated many times that´s a big mistake and it's only a matter of time before you change your mind...

I would say you´re excellent in scouting of US players you watched them play many times and it´s visible. But maybe you should just stay with this only.
I followed Slafkovsky for years and know this kid is a very special. In Slovak national team he feels very comfortable he is a key piece of a team and is best able to show what he is capable of. In Finnish defensive Liiga he isn´t in this position and first half of the season he was even just a substitute or 3rd/4th liner.

If he still isn´t in your top 5 I don't even know what to say. In 2022 after Olympics he seemed also in Liiga like a top 5 pick (played 2nd line and 2nd PP), add historical performances at the Olympics and on ongoing WC where his overall play on both these events was excellent, not only production.

I ask where you see 7-8 better prospects like Slafkovsky? My God, who is it? :)
I think you have completely misrepresented these situations.

With Nemec, I made an initial list in March of 2021 that I stressed was very incomplete that had Nemec 35. It wasn’t like I had him 60th. That’s a few spots outside of a traditional round one player. On my first list of this season in July I had him moved up to 26. He has risen since to the range he’ll be drafted in. He’s had a good season. Should we not change our opinions when more info comes in? If you look at most lists from before the season, the majority of people had Nemec lower than they have him now. He’s helped his stock this year and improved, so I’m not sure why anyone would be criticizing others for recognizing that.

At the same time, Nemec is not the highest of upside players. I don’t think initial concerns were unreasonable. Those initial lists are more about talent and hype. Nemec wouldn’t be considered as a top 5 or so pick now based on those areas. He’s a steady presence that has had good showings throughout the seasons and tournaments. That does not guarantee latter success. These are prospects. Sometimes the best players are players like Nemec, and other times it’s the wild cards that have talent but no real track record of performance.

I think the Nemec discussions lead into some of the Slafkovsky ones. They also can be said to pertain to Jiricek and players like Kasper. How much are we seeing the impact of playing these big Senior Mens Tournaments impact draft stock? I think it matters, but how much? Would Matt Savoie or Logan Cooley not play well if they were playing their draft seasons with men and for countries where they can play in the Mens World Championships, Olympics, and other events? Obviously that chance wasn’t coming due to their nationality, but it doesn’t mean they wouldn’t also do well.

I think with a player like Slafkovsky it’s relevant. A lot of his draft stock is said to revolve around these tournaments. I think there’s danger picking a player so high based on that. With a top 2-3 pick, you have to get a good player. It’s a lot different than picking 8th or 9th. If Slafkovsky was Finnish, he’s not getting those chances to play Olympics, World Championships, and these other events. Where would he be picked then? His club production is not in line with other top ten picks from Liiga. Compare his numbers to Kemell, and his look worse than Kemell.

At the same time, these performances at these tournaments matter. I think it makes Slafkovsky a worthy gamble in the top 10. His club production and some of the questions about his games might otherwise have him outside the top 10. It’s a balance of factors. I don’t think you can weight any of them too much. I think some people are. Picking Slafkovsky second is saying that the other things I mentioned don’t really matter because he’s had about 10-15 games for Slovakia’s senior Mens Team where he’s done very well. I think that’s flawed logic. Are we sure Frank Nazar couldn’t do that or Conor Geekie? I’m not sure. I think this draft has an extra few variables with players who’ve improved their stock a lot based on these tournaments that rarely factor into the equation for draft prospects. How do you weight those tournaments? It’s difficult.

Am I a big fan of Slafkovsky? No, I am not. I had him ranked in the 20’s months back. I have since moved him up because he’s done well at some of these big tournaments. That matters and it’d be stupid for me to ignore that new information. I am not sure enough about any of my opinions about these prospects that I would completely ignore big data points on players. Saying that, you can call me a skeptic about Slafkovsky.

xyzed

Jun 25, 2012
I read somewhere that he recorded the highest speed in one of the liiga finale games. Cant find the source tho

When you actually watched the games against Finland, Sweden, Canada, Switzeraland etc his skating was an advantage. And these teams are exceptional at skating so I have no idea what are some of the people here talking about

The problem with him is that sometimes he makes stupid passes but I think it will improve with more experience

Reactions: My3Sons

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
honestly who is for the separation of topics as soon as there are 1000 posts?

Personally, I find it more interesting that there is only one topic until the end of the entry contract or even the end of the career (why not move the topic to a section with active players in NHL then after retirement in a section with retired players)

always fun to read the first few pages. These are the most fun.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
I thunk he has been having a very good WC , however I’d like to see some hate in his game. Toss some hits and play with a little bit of an edge.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ

That's a HUGE gap. Nichushkin's one of the best two way wingers in the league. Nichushkin is far closer to Rantanen than Armia is to Nichushkin.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
Any comparisons to more recent players ? Like a Boldy , Svechnikov elite ability ? Or more closer to a Marchment or Jeannot ability ? People have already said Svechnikov is a far superior player . What makes him that much better? I love Boldy’s game , is Slafkovsky similar or are they pretty different players? I haven’t had a chance to watch Slafkovsky bedsides the Olympics , WC and some video clips.
Id like to,see Slaf have some nastiness to his game. Not too much where it takes away from what makes him effective butId like to see him hit more , play with an edge . I want to see some Jeannot I’m him lol.

I disagree. He has shown very good speed . His first step isn’t explosive or any thug and he can use some work on i proving his stride , but he is a pretty damn good skater for his size and overall pretty good. I wouldnt say “clearly below NHL average” by any means. I’d say it’s ”good” and NHL average

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad