F Josh Lawrence - Saint John Sea Dogs, QMJHL (2020 undrafted)

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
Do you have any proof? Almost sounds like you are accusing St. John and Lawrence's management to "fix" this pick by having his management spread misinformation about him going the NCAA route...
and this is shocking how??? I been scouting in the QMJHL since 2006 with a few teams and I have seen a lot in my time in the league...and teams do this all the time, the NCAA route is a way high end prospects like Angelo Esposito went to the Ramparts, how the Mooseheads had Mackinnon playing NCAA even having him practice with the USHL the day the QMJHL draft was going on incase they could not pull off their big trade that year...money talks and agents are out to make as much as they can get and A LOT of money changes hands under the table when you are talking high end players.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
and this is shocking how??? I been scouting in the QMJHL since 2006 with a few teams and I have seen a lot in my time in the league...and teams do this all the time, the NCAA route is a way high end prospects like Angelo Esposito went to the Ramparts, how the Mooseheads had Mackinnon playing NCAA even having him practice with the USHL the day the QMJHL draft was going on incase they could not pull off their big trade that year...money talks and agents are out to make as much as they can get and A LOT of money changes hands under the table when you are talking high end players.
This used to be common practice. But, teams are really cautious over the last couple years and have slowed down in recent years due to the litigation about minimum wage. Teams are afraid of any loose ends as their books have been opened by subpoena.

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
This used to be common practice. But, teams are really cautious over the last couple years and have slowed down in recent years due to the litigation about minimum wage. Teams are afraid of any loose ends as their books have been opened by subpoena.
im still in the league and it is still an on going thing...these money deals such as Patrick Roy with Mikael Stefonovich it was a brief case of money...not like the deals have to be on the books...when the Ramparts got Joey Ryan his mother needed medical treatment and Roy paid for the treatment if he came up to play.

Last edited:

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
im still in the league and it is still an on going thing...
Teams in the OHL have significantly cut down in recent years compared to what they were doing in the late 2000's and early 2010's. Obviously, agents are paying to ensure clients and such, but the actual "under-the-table" pay from the teams has gone down significantly.

I know the stories of Esposito getting in the six-figures to report to Quebec, and how MacKinnon cooked the draft to avoid going to a team in Quebec.

Reactions: 99664987

Emerz

#1 PLD Fanboy
Jun 5, 2013
Nova Scotia
This kid is definitely talented but can someone tell me why the coach of sea dogs is playing this 16 year old kid on the first line? It’s honeslty sad watching this team get dominated

Lawrence is a 16 year old local kid who is the going to be the "face" of the Sea Dogs for the next 3 years minimum, while having 9 points in 14 games as a 16 year old. That is why he's playing on the first line.

The Sea Dogs roster is terrible and they're going to get blown out pretty well every night no matter who plays where, they are icing 10 rookies.

That production as a 16 year old is elite level, similar to the numbers PLD put up in his first season for example.

They are trying to develop Lawrence in to elite player in the Q for their team, it's not like they have many other options, their team right now is in "year 0" of a rebuild.

David Suzuki

Aug 25, 2010
New Brunswick
Lawrence is a 16 year old local kid who is the going to be the "face" of the Sea Dogs for the next 3 years minimum, while having 9 points in 14 games as a 16 year old. That is why he's playing on the first line.

The Sea Dogs roster is terrible and they're going to get blown out pretty well every night no matter who plays where, they are icing 10 rookies.

That production as a 16 year old is elite level, similar to the numbers PLD put up in his first season for example.

They are trying to develop Lawrence in to elite player in the Q for their team, it's not like they have many other options, their team right now is in "year 0" of a rebuild.

He isn't really local he's from Fredericton not Saint John.

Dodospice

Jan 19, 2012
This kid is definitely talented but can someone tell me why the coach of sea dogs is playing this 16 year old kid on the first line? It’s honeslty sad watching this team get dominated

Who’s a better option? They really don’t have any. They’re a bad team, they’re going to be a bad team, you think it’s going to kill Cajkovic’s stock and maybe it does but he needs to play better himself. There’s all kinds of high end prospects in terrible teams every season that don’t see their stock fall, if the player plays well then they will get drafted where the should.

Outofbodyinhungary

Aug 6, 2018
Bratislava, Slovakia
Not saying that cajkovic has been playing the best but if he falls out of the first round it will be squarely the fault of the sea dogs organization. A 1st overall import should be lighting up the league. Lawrence should be replaced by a 19 year old above ppg vet for sea dogs to have any success. Cajkovic should really be playing with Safin but of course they sign prikryl and put him on the second line while safin gets dealt away. Points in CHL do translate to draft position. A good sea dogs team in 3 years does nothing for players in their draft year. Right now cajkovic would be lucky to score 50 points playing on this line with Lawrence...

Dodospice

Jan 19, 2012
Not saying that cajkovic has been playing the best but if he falls out of the first round it will be squarely the fault of the sea dogs organization. A 1st overall import should be lighting up the league. Lawrence should be replaced by a 19 year old above ppg vet for sea dogs to have any success. Cajkovic should really be playing with Safin but of course they sign prikryl and put him on the second line while safin gets dealt away. Points in CHL do translate to draft position. A good sea dogs team in 3 years does nothing for players in their draft year. Right now cajkovic would be lucky to score 50 points playing on this line with Lawrence...

They do not have a better offensive player to play him with. Lawrence is the best option. If he falls out of the 1st round it has nothing to do with the organization, it falls squarely on the performance of the player. Good players have good seasons on bad teams, you can’t blame only blame the organization for a guy not doing what he’s capable of, that’s on the player. If Cajkovic plays well, then the points will come, Lawrence is the best option to get him points rather you like it or not.

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
This narrative is ridiculous and needs to stop.

Reactions: Tube Skates

cmcneil02

Dec 27, 2015
You do realize Sea Dogs are rebuilding right? Lawrence and Cajkovic will be much better players in the future of the organization. Heck they can even win a presidents cup in the future if Sea Dogs do well. Nico Hischier Played on a terrible Mooseheads team in 2016 and got drafted first overall and still put up great stats.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I’d be surprised if he wasn’t drafted. He probably wasn’t ever as good as the hype, but he didn’t have a bad season. He’s undersized and usually you have to be a dynamic scorer at his size to be a high pick, but there’s over 200 picks in the draft. He should be drafted.

Tube Skates

May 12, 2016
Seems like this post didn't age real well. Is there a chance anyone takes a late-round flier on him this year?
Highly doubt he gets drafted this year. He’s just not fast or elusive enough for his size. It appears he has quick hands but he uses a very short stick and gives up the puck easily. He does have some good scoring instincts. He’s accurate and gets good velocity on his shots while off balance. He doesn’t usually set to shoot and catches goalies off guard. Seems like a great kid though. Always smiling.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Thanks for the in-depth review. Seems a little tunnel vision-ish when he has the puck coming out of his own end, leaving teammates standing around rather than moving the puck to create movement and then jumping into space (although that could just be the nature of highlights).

Hands are impressive. It will be interesting to see how his game plays into the tighter, faster spaces at the pro level.

cmcneil02

Dec 27, 2015
I wasn't exactly hyped for him but did think he had great potential despite the size. I thought maybe he'd grow a bit, especially in weight but didn't really push for that. At the time of posting in 2018 I had no clue the kid was 5"8" either. Was still a meh year for the dogs but that go for it year in 2021-22 is coming. Do I think he still gets drafted? Maybe late 6th to 7th rounder. But if not we'll have to see how well he plays at 18-19. If he goes nowhere he'll definitely be dominate at the University level.

Reactions: Dominance

EnglishJet

Jul 18, 2014
Nova Scotia
I couldn't tell at the time of the draft if the hype was based on his ability or the fact he had committed to go the NCAA route. There was a lot of buzz about him but most seemed to be about him possibility being convinced to come to the Q. He was only ranked the 6th best player in pre-draft rankings.

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
New Brunswick has possibly the best 2002 born player in Eastern Canada and a chance of being the best in all of Canada. This guy is just down right dominant at such a young age, a 2002 born, so far at the monctonian has 11 points in 3 games and in regular season 13 points in 7 games, but his IQ is off the charts, amazing puck handler, great vision and play making, great shooter, exciting and just takes over on the ice every time he is out there.

Can see him getting exception to play midget next year...this guy is the best since Nathan Mackinnon that i have seen.
NB Bantam AAA Hockey League

Any thoughts on whether Lawrence will even get drafted?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad