F John Mustard - Waterloo Black Hawks, USHL (2024 Draft)

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
Love this name. Would make a great movie title. Re-name John wick to John mustard.

Lavar Ball

Neva Lost
Apr 23, 2022
Chino Hills, CA
1705412943544.png

Bobcat205

addicted to the grind
Sep 22, 2023
your local KFC
Is it too early to be calling him "The Colonel"? Do we have to wait until he becomes successful at the NHL level (if that happens)?

95snipes

Dec 11, 2019
4 goal game (1 empty netter) for Mustard this past weekend against Sioux City. They played again last night and he followed it up with this for an encore:

I have to imagine he's established himself as at least a 2nd rounder at this point if he hadn't already. I could see the 25-50 range.

I think he has top 6 upside as a finisher on a scoring line. His shot is the best part of his game in my opinion. He's got a really nice release. The puck snaps off his stick and he can pick his corners. Dangerous with space to shoot. Also good at finding the soft areas and can bury when he gets chances. Above average hands - he can make quick moves to create space for himself. Can challenge defenders 1 on 1 as shown in the video. Skating mechanics could use some refinement. His stride is a bit straight legged. This is most noticeable later in shifts where Mustard can look gassed at times. He plays with pace though and plays fast with the puck on his stick. Some two way ability. I generally like his compete and think he has a good defensive stick.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Is he willing to go to the hard areas of the ice, or is he yellow?

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
My review of what I've watched from him this season. Has 22+23=45 points in 44 games.

He’s a scoring winger. Very good skating and he’s shoot-first. Has a good shot. Doesn’t make bad decisions with the puck though. He’s trying to get his goals, but he’ll make the right play with the puck and has some playmaking ability. He probably doesn’t have a truly elite attribute. Potentially the skating, but probably not. He also has played on a line with one the best player in the league in the games I’ve seen of him, so that might inflate his numbers a little, but I think he’s one of the best draft-eligibles from the USHL this year. There’s no apparent area keeping him from playing NHL games. I think round 2 is his floor, and he could go as high as late round 1.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad