F Ivan Miroshnichenko (2022, 20th, WSH)

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Miro is a great goal scoring prospect in his own right.. but Michkov is a guy who could realistically threaten the rocket every year like Ovechkin has, where Miro has the potential to threaten every once in awhile but would just be considered a great sniper.

Reactions: User9992

Elitersson

Unregistered User
Feb 22, 2016
Projected top 5 for the 2022 Draft but pretty lackluster production in VHL so far for Miro. Anyone watched this guy play this year who can chime in on how he's looking?

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Projected top 5 for the 2022 Draft but pretty lackluster production in VHL so far for Miro. Anyone watched this guy play this year who can chime in on how he's looking?
This is not lackluster production. The best comparable would be of course Yurov, but the latter does not play in the VHL, but rather the KHL. So from what I gather he is the only one 17 year old with this kind of production in the VHL. A full year older Chibrikov is a PPG player. A nearly full year older Svechkov "struggles" even more than Miroshnichenko in the VHL with three points in nine games.

Miroshnichenko is doing just fine and the VHL is no easy walk for a 17 year old.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
This is not lackluster production. The best comparable would be of course Yurov, but the latter does not play in the VHL, but rather the KHL. So from what I gather he is the only one 17 year old with this kind of production in the VHL. A full year older Chibrikov is a PPG player. A nearly full year older Svechkov "struggles" even more than Miroshnichenko in the VHL with three points in nine games.

Miroshnichenko is doing just fine and the VHL is no easy walk for a 17 year old.
But how strong is VHL? Is it stronger than DEL, SHL, Liiga, and NLA?

Which strong players were drafted from VHL, anyway? Last season Katelevsky scored at the same rate and he went undrafted. So at the very least this scoring isn't a very strong statement.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don

Which strong players were drafted from VHL, anyway? Last season Katelevsky scored at the same rate and he went undrafted. So at the very least this scoring isn't a very strong statement.

I haven't seen Miro play this year. But the VHL is a league where you need to watch players; not stat count. This is because the strength of the league differs immensely from top to bottom, team to team. It's also roughly twice a large as Liiga, SHL, DEL.
A player's production is affected drastically by schedule, strength of team, if a team is affiliated with KHL (players sent down/up), etc. Players aren't on equal footing. At all.
It's how Katelevsky scored at the same rate as Svechkov last year despite being nowhere near as good. One went undrafted, the other in the 1st round.

Last edited:

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011

The same Katelevskiy had one point in the U18 WJC as Miroshnichenko's teammate. Miroshnichenko had 8. Here you are just falling for the sample size. The season is just gaining traction. The season you mentioned Katalevskiy only played 13 games.

Who was drafted from the VHL is the wrong question. There are less restrictions in Russia for prospects. They can play in three leagues from juniors(MHL) to the KHL, but the most important part every tteam has a different situation and policies. Some don't have a VHL affiliate, some prefer to switch young players between MHL and KHL and skip the VHL. Some on the other hand would do just what Avangard does with Miroshnichenko and put him in the VHL full time. As I mentioned before Yurov for example plays in the KHL and played a couple of games in the MHL.

To answer your question still, in the most recent draft: Svechkov, Chibrikov. Kostenko. Before that: Askarov, Podkolzin. Except for Podkolzin who is 2001 born I expect to see all of them on Team Russia at the upcoming WJC.

The VHL is probably weaker than the SHL, on par wtih Liiga given what I saw from the Liiga. I don't know how the NLA fares these days. It used to be good. I am not a big fan of the DEL. A pretty mediocre AHL player in the past is now the top scorer there. And he was far less successful in the Liiga before that. So My guess would be the VHL is better than the DEL.

This or course does not mean there are no outliers. Like some players making the transition form the Liiga to the KHL for example. Some like Audette would be extremely successful, some not so much. And you can also see some VHLers move to the KHL every year with probably a similar success rate.

NatusVincere

Nov 30, 2018
Miro is simple not that good, more of a Nishushkin than a Svechnikov. And sure as hell not even close to Kovalchuk. With his shooting, Skating and his big Body he already should dominate the MHL last year, he couldn’t. And at the U18 he was the weakest player on one of the strongest lines. No Top 3/5 Pick is drafted out of the VHL… he should do so much better as Chibrikov and Svechkov. And Yurov is quite easily better than him.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Miro is simple not that good, more of a Nishushkin than a Svechnikov. And sure as hell not even close to Kovalchuk. With his shooting, Skating and his big Body he already should dominate the MHL last year, he couldn’t. And at the U18 he was the weakest player on one of the strongest lines. No Top 3/5 Pick is drafted out of the VHL… he should do so much better as Chibrikov and Svechkov. And Yurov is quite easily better than him.

He may not be Svechnikov, but I wouldn’t be so sure he doesn’t project as a good top six winger. And that can still be true if Yurov is better.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
I've seen 3 games.

So far, not a player I'd invest a top 10 pick in.

We'll see how he looks by the end of the season.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
I've seen 3 games.

So far, not a player I'd invest a top 10 pick in.

We'll see how he looks by the end of the season.

Any deeper explanations as to why you don't like him as much based on the games you've watched?

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Any deeper explanations as to why you don't like him as much based on the games you've watched?
Without the intent of sounding vague, he doesn't "pop" when I watch him play. Doesn't set himself apart from anyone else.

He's prone to being a floater as well. He doesn't really keep himself moving.

And outside of a willingness to block shots, he's not active in the defensive end.

I haven't see any qualities that I would describe as elite.

Reactions: wetcoast and wings5

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Without the intent of sounding vague, he doesn't "pop" when I watch him play. Doesn't set himself apart from anyone else.

He's prone to being a floater as well. He doesn't really keep himself moving.

And outside of a willingness to block shots, he's not active in the defensive end.

I haven't see any qualities that I would describe as elite.

Appreciate the analysis. He is 17 in a pretty decent pro league though so not looking out of place at his age is considered a big compliment usually. As a potentially top 10 pic however in the league he's in he should be expected to have some strong games where he stands out though. Still, all I'm saying is it's very tough for a 17 year old to stand out in a decent pro league so I won't rule Miroshnichenko out yet

Reactions: Kevin Musto

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
I kinda get that, i meant that russian words and short form of names sounds moronic in english, so it's better to use "Omsk Hawks" variant in this thread
A lot of english words sound "moronic" in other languages. Should the Subbans rename themselves because of the Swedes?

There are no Omsk Hawks, just like there are no Chicago Chernye Yastreby.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad