F Ivan Miroshnichenko (2022, 20th, WSH)

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
He plays different at Hlinka, than he did at the WJC U18. He uses his linemates a lot. A lot of assists already, and great ones.

He’s also playing more physical and winning a lot of puck battles. Taking face offs and playing the PK. I think he’s required to do more and carry a line. His line-mates aren’t that good. Worse than the players on the third line.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
He’s also playing more physical and winning a lot of puck battles. Taking face offs and playing the PK. I think he’s required to do more and carry a line. His line-mates aren’t that good. Worse than the players on the third line.

He played with Gazizov, I wouldn't say, he's bad.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
He has played a lot of last game with Michkov on the line.

NatusVincere

Nov 30, 2018
He was removed from Michkovs line cause he had really bad first four Periods into this Tournament. Somehow managed to be without a Point til his PP Assist to Michkov. Im not convinced on him. Didnt liked him at the U18 and dont like him here. Its Michkov with the important Goals. While Miro made almost all his Points against already beaten Oppenents. And how many opportunities has he already given away?! Yesterday he failed to shoot the Puck 1m away in the EN... Imo he has the Tools but not the Brain.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
I’m obviously not talking about his play on a line with Michkov, and no he didn’t. He was on the second line. Michkov was on the first line.
If there is something like a first line... He started the tournament on a line with Michkov and was removed in the last game only. They do not really gel with Michkov. Michkov needs a playmaker and Miroshinichenko would try to carry the whole play by himself too often.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Мирошниченко о Мичкове: «Не скажу, что с ним очень легко играть – нужно знать, как это делать. Он особенный игрок»

I find the quote revealing.

Miroshnichenko on playing with Michkov:"He is without a doubt a special player. I would not say it is easy to play with him, because you need to know how to do it."

That explains why Miroshnichenko was taken off the Michkov line. And it shows what I suspected watching Miro. He is not the smartes player out there. He can be a force all by himself, but has trouble thinking the game for his linemates too. Imagine Datsyuk saying "it's not easy to play with this guy". I can't.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
The next Maxim Kitsyn
Let's not test the other extreme here, shall we? That was all not to say he is bad or something. He's had another great game, even without scoring. The Kovalchuk comparison seems legit. Kovy also never was a playmaker nor a line driving guy. I doubt though he has Kovalchuk's shot.

Last edited:
Reactions: Magnifico

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Kovalchuk

That's honestly the vibe I got from this kid. I saw young Kovalchuk at the Traverse City prospects tournament in 2001 and there are some eery similarities to their skating, stickhandling and shooting. He's even got a physical edge like young Kovalchuk had. (I'm not saying he'll be as good, but there is a definite style similarity)

Martinez89

May 20, 2019
He was outside of my top 10 a few months ago and now he is in. I thought he is a little bit a kind of "one trick pony" but now I like his overall play more althought I still see he isn´t a complete player yet. As a prospect he reminds me of Alexander Holtz which isn´t a bad comparable player at all (pre-draft Holtz). But still I see a few 2022 eligible players like more impactful also his Russian countryman Danila Yurov is a little bit better player I think.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
He was outside of my top 10 a few months ago and now he is in. I thought he is a little bit a kind of "one trick pony" but now I like his overall play more althought I still see he isn´t a complete player yet. As a prospect he reminds me of Alexander Holtz which isn´t a bad comparable player at all (pre-draft Holtz). But still I see a few 2022 eligible players like more impactful also his Russian countryman Danila Yurov is a little bit better player I think.

He skates better and is more physical than Holtz. Similar shot though.

Reactions: mratch19

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I was thinking similarly, I really loved his game at u18s, he seems like such a BULL. Do you think he could challenge for a top 3 spot next year?

I think this is a good question. I go back and forth on what range Miroshnichenko should be in. Is he more of a top 5 guy or a top 10 guy? The difference might seem small, only a few spots, but at the top of the draft it's a real difference. I think I would say he has a chance to be 3rd, but probably won't happen. It'd likely take a fantastic draft season and then some rather weak draft seasons from most of the other top candidates. I think with 2022 being a draft with a lot of top center and defensemen that a winger like Miroshnichenko will have to be that much better than those guys to be drafted ahead. Teams put a premium on centers and defensemen at the draft, especially centers.

Reactions: BKarchitect

mratch19

Jul 27, 2010
Vancouver
I think this is a good question. I go back and forth on what range Miroshnichenko should be in. Is he more of a top 5 guy or a top 10 guy? The difference might seem small, only a few spots, but at the top of the draft it's a real difference. I think I would say he has a chance to be 3rd, but probably won't happen. It'd likely take a fantastic draft season and then some rather weak draft seasons from most of the other top candidates. I think with 2022 being a draft with a lot of top center and defensemen that a winger like Miroshnichenko will have to be that much better than those guys to be drafted ahead. Teams put a premium on centers and defensemen at the draft, especially centers.

I guess that speaks volumes about the top end of next year's draft! But that's a good point regarding Centers and Defensmen, and players needing to either falter or Miro has to light it up (i think he might just do that). I wonder if some of these very pricey d-men contracts will put even more value on drafting potential top-end Dmen with ELC contracts.

MatchesMalone

Formerly Innocent Bystander
Aug 29, 2010
He played with Gazizov, I wouldn't say, he's bad.

In my opinion Gazizov was the best pure playmaker I've seen him play with, and I've seen at least 15 games of Miro. Obviously Michkov is a special player, but they're not a great fit together. I don't think that says anything about either player's hockey IQ. Crosby and Malkin aren't so great together either. Gazizov was a perfect fit for Miro - he is such a crafty passer whose primary focus was getting the puck on Miro's stick in shooting positions.

I was thinking similarly, I really loved his game at u18s, he seems like such a BULL. Do you think he could challenge for a top 3 spot next year?

Personally, I have had Miroshnichenko ranked number two since spring 2020 (after the 5N U17s). I wouldn't say he's locked in at that position, but so far his raw natural gifts put him a cut above everyone in this draft not named Shane Wright in my books.

He actually looks very good at the tournament. A lot of great passes and good team plays. I hope, I'm wrong about his IQ problems.

I don't entirely disagree about his hockey IQ. There are certainly smarter forward prospects in this draft (Wright, Yurov, Cooley would probably be my top 3 in that regard). A couple things I'd like to note though: one is that Miroshnichenko has only played 20 games at the MHL level, plus a couple U18 tournaments, prior to that he had played 16 league games at the U18 level and 16 at the U17 level. Practice is one thing, but a player that age needs high-level game action to develop high-level game IQ.

He started opening night on the top line for VHL Krylya today, and had a pretty quiet night. But thankfully he's finally at the pro level, which is going to be so crucial for his scouting and development. The big thing with Miro is, he's at his best when he plays that raging bull power game, protecting pucks, skating into traffic, shooting through sticks, bouncing off of checks, but at lower levels he has always been able to get by on skill alone, and to easily dominate physically when he wanted to. I was so frustrated at times watching him in MHL last year because he would show flashes of what he can be, but would all too often rely on his skill, as was especially the case at the spring U18s where he made a lot of pretty dumb plays trying to force things; but note again, he had never before come up against anything like the level of talent on that Canada team.

Now that he's in the VHL, he's going to have to start learning how to play the right way, and I think we will have a much clearer picture pretty soon of whether he's closer to number two or ten overall.

Last edited:
Reactions: gusev nikita

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad