Confirmed Signing with Link: F Ilya Kovalchuk signed 4-y deal with SKA

MartysBetterThanYou

Jan 15, 2013
New Jersey
Why am I getting the vibe here that you all are almost rooting for the NHL to fail and the KHL to take its place based on your enthusiastic reactions to a player jumping ship...

BalticWarrior

Apr 28, 2012
Riga
Why am I getting the vibe here that you all are almost rooting for the NHL to fail and the KHL to take its place based on your enthusiastic reactions to a player jumping ship...

Oh stop this whining will you? Why should khl fans be sad that a player like kovalchuk comes over?some nhl fans feel too entitled.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Oh stop this whining will you? Why should khl fans be sad that a player like kovalchuk comes over?

Becasue it widens the gap between the haves and have nots even more? E.g. I've never taken any joy if a rival of Jokerit signed a big name player in SM-Liiga. I think people are wondering, do you support your team or the league?

BalticWarrior

Apr 28, 2012
Riga
Becasue it widens the gap between the haves and have nots even more? E.g. I've never taken any joy if a rival of Jokerit signed a big name player in SM-Liiga. I think people are wondering, do you support your team or the league?

It doesnt matter. Ska is gonna be a top team with or without kovy. And i hate ska,but i was explaining why some posters are happy.

bdawg1989*

Oh stop this whining will you? Why should khl fans be sad that a player like kovalchuk comes over?some nhl fans feel too entitled.

Entitled ? NHL IS still the best league in the world, by far. Like it or not. Kovy leaving aint gonna change that.

Vicente

Jun 6, 2012
Cologne

1) What gap? Look at Russian hockey history. SKA have never won a league title since creation of the club in the 1950s...

2) The stronger the league, the more good players also for your teams. But off course you seem to like rather watching 14 low-level teams against each other than 28 good ones with some of them being at a very high level.

Vicente

Jun 6, 2012
Cologne

This is absolutely hilarious. People are happy to see 1 (ONE) top player in their league for a couple of years and NHL fans already freak out. What about Malkin, Ovechkin, Bryzgalov etc.? Shouldn't they be playing in Russia?

Pominville Knows

Sep 28, 2012
Down Under
Entitled ? NHL IS still the best league in the world, by far. Like it or not. Kovy leaving aint gonna change that.

You are correct, but at the same time i dont think NJ-fans saw this coming becouse they do in fact feel entitled. Before it was Radulov that was the biggest name, and people in NA was like laughing about it saying he's not elite and so forth. As a matter of fact, now when listing the KHL stars i find it quite exciting actually.

<Beautiful trophy as well, the Gagarin Cup.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
1) What gap? Look at Russian hockey history. SKA have never won a league title since creation of the club in the 1950s...

2) The stronger the league, the more good players also for your teams. But off course you seem to like rather watching 14 low-level teams against each other than 28 good ones with some of them being at a very high level.

14 teams in the 3rd best league in Europe, most of whom could beat every German DEL team. :p: Is it really hard to understand people prefer to watch teams from their own country, teams they know and have an emotional attachment instead foreign teams in a leauge with no historical or emotional attachment?

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Ilya will get similar money as he would get in next 4yrs from NJD, Medvedev said for SovSport or Sport-Express (dont remember). He called 50-60M USD as not true info

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
Is it really hard to understand people prefer to watch teams from their own country, teams they know and have an emotional attachment instead foreign teams in a leauge with no historical or emotional attachment?

Five seconds ago you claimed to be Manchester United fan, no? Anyway, you can watch and enjoy KHL while attending your local teams games as well.

Pominville Knows

Sep 28, 2012
Down Under
14 teams in the 3rd best league in Europe, most of whom could beat every German DEL team. :p: Is it really hard to understand people prefer to watch teams from their own country, teams they know and have an emotional attachment instead foreign teams in a leauge with no historical or emotional attachment?

Yes i do understand the importance of emotional and historical attachments when looking at sports. It's just that for me personally i really more would enjoy watching a swedish team compete against other teams from internationally historical places to say the least, then other SHL cities. I mean were talking CSKA Moskow, Bratislava, Praha, Helsinki here, not Jönköping, Karlstad and Luleå. Do you have any grasp about international hockey history, bordering on politics during the Cold War? We got great places in Europe ready to be explored.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011

As long as you fear to prove it by playing KHL teams you can stay in your denial wonderland. We are ok with that.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
I wrote some stuff about Kovy joining SKA and other stuff. http://goo.gl/dEceV

Feedback welcome. Enjoy.

Not as into Russian/KHL as I used to be but will try to watch more games this year. Try to find a team to support as well.

Vicente

Jun 6, 2012
Cologne

In case of misunderstanding. This was no attack on SM-liiga in general as I like the league as much as I do like any big hockey league. But you clearly seem to prefer a lower level of SM-liiga hockey instead of some of the teams signing big stars (I know this is rather theoratical) and being a little better even than the rest.

I guess you wouldn't be against having Ovechkin, Malkin, Kovalchuk, Stamkos, Bäckström like players in every SM-liiga team tough :)

PS:

I go to matches of Kölner Haier (DEL) but also watch NHL/KHL online. In my case it's a mixture of liking to see big stars in other leagues + different ways of playing hockey. If there was a chance to watch that stuff I would even give SM-liiga a chance and watch a couple of games. ;)

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
9db84dcefaee94efab0e02de1d29f6d8_5.jpg

http://www.ska.ru/gallery/ru/showall/864.html#wide

(starting since min 6-7)

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Five seconds ago you claimed to be Manchester United fan, no? Anyway, you can watch and enjoy KHL while attending your local teams games as well.

Sorry for this REAAAALLLY late reply to this post, but when there's no domestic/local (football) team to support, you tend to pick up something you're more exposed to.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad