F Daniil But - Lokomotiv Yaroslavl, KHL (2023, 12th, ARI)

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Armstrong himself is 6’5. You can clearly see on draft day that Simashev is at least an inch taller than Armstrong. You can also see on draft day that But is at least an inch taller than Simashev. To me, that says But was 6’7ish at the draft. I doubt he’s now 6’9, though I wouldn’t be shocked if he’s 6’7.75” or something. Maybe even 6’8.

Reactions: majormajor

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Armstrong himself is 6’5. You can clearly see on draft day that Simashev is at least an inch taller than Armstrong. You can also see on draft day that But is at least an inch taller than Simashev. To me, that says But was 6’7ish at the draft. I doubt he’s now 6’9, though I wouldn’t be shocked if he’s 6’7.75” or something. Maybe even 6’8.
Did someone actually measure Armstrong recently though? :)

The issue is that at that height But would be really noticeably towering over everyone in the KHL, but he isn't and KHL isn't NBA. To me But clearly is a big boy, taller than Simashev, but if comparing to someone like Silayev I'd say he doesn't look bigger than him.

rt

May 13, 2004

The issue is that at that height But would be really noticeably towering over everyone in the KHL, but he isn't and KHL isn't NBA. To me But clearly is a big boy, taller than Simashev, but if comparing to someone like Silayev I'd say he doesn't look bigger than him.
He’s noticeably towering over everyone in the games that I watch. :)

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
He’s noticeably towering over everyone in the games that I watch. :)
Maybe you just have better eyes than mine, but I personally usually can't surely recognize But in the TV broadcasts without looking at his number (or noticing his linemates on the ice), so it is not that noticeable to me.

Reactions: Appleyard

rt

May 13, 2004
Maybe you just have better eyes than mine, but I personally usually can't surely recognize But in the TV broadcasts without looking at his number (or noticing his linemates on the ice), so it is not that noticeable to me.
I find the opposite to be true. Haha. You’re very reasonable and I find myself wanting to agree. But I don’t see it the same.

Reactions: slumpy43 and Caser

rt

May 13, 2004

1702685055934.jpeg

Geekie was measured at 6’4 at the combine? And Lamoreaux at 6’7 right?

This picture is tough because we can’t see all the way down to the feet.

This is better…

1702685126602.jpeg

Here in this video Bill looks taller than Geekie…

Reactions: Guadana

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
View attachment 784125

Geekie was measured at 6’4 at the combine? And Lamoreaux at 6’7 right?

This picture is tough because we can’t see all the way down to the feet.

This is better…

View attachment 784126

Here in this video Bill looks taller than Geekie…

Geekie wasn't measured at the combine I think, at least I didn't find the data, Lamoureux was 6-foot-6.75 and Cooley was 5-foot-10.5. So 8.25 measured inches between Lamoureux and Cooley and on that pic it equals about 57 pixels, so if I calculated correctly Armstrong is about 6-foot-4.5 according to that pic, obviously taking a lot of assumptions here as you have to take into account the haircut, the way they stand there and obviously the measurement and calculation errors.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Unless he grew ~2-3 inches in 9 days there is no way in hell he is 6'9 lmfao.

Because he plays with guys like Kraskovsky (6'5), Simashev (6'5), Gernat (6'4), Bereglazov (6'4) and Shalunov (6'4)... and he does not tower over them. You of course see him all the time in huddles, celebrations with them...

He is a maximum of ~2 inches taller than those guys. I can see 6'7 if he has awful posture.

rt

May 13, 2004
Geekie wasn't measured at the combine I think, at least I didn't find the data, Lamoureux was 6-foot-6.75 and Cooley was 5-foot-10.5. So 8.25 measured inches between Lamoureux and Cooley and on that pic it equals about 57 pixels, so if I calculated correctly Armstrong is about 6-foot-4.5 according to that pic, obviously taking a lot of assumptions here as you have to take into account the haircut, the way they stand there and obviously the measurement and calculation errors.
And if you look at Simashev next to BA, he seems about 1inch taller. Then But next to Simashev seems about 1inch taller than him.

Unless he grew ~2-3 inches in 9 days there is no way in hell he is 6'9 lmfao.

Because he plays with guys like Kraskovsky (6'5), Simashev (6'5), Gernat (6'4), Bereglazov (6'4) and Shalunov (6'4)... and he does not tower over them. You of course see him all the time in huddles, celebrations with them...

He is a maximum of ~2 inches taller than those guys. I can see 6'7 if he has awful posture.
I suspect he is 6’7

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com

I agree. Loko are a team with a lot of big boys (6'3-6'5)... is But the biggest? I would say so. But he is not "that" big.

rt

May 13, 2004
On this same podcast Bill Armstrong was lying through his teeth before this draft.

He was talking about how he just got back from the U18s and how he fell in love with two players there. And he went on to very obviously describe Leonard without naming him specifically. And he talked about the championship and big time players and how theyd get one or two. It was obvious he wanted Leonard. And possibly Dvorsky or Wallinder. He basically described Leonard’s whole golden goal.

It was all 100% smoke screen. They knew they wanted Simashev and But well ahead of that. They’d been spotted at the Black Sea Cup scouting them and in the behind the scenes video from pre draft they’re talking about getting both Russians.

So not only is BA a tall tale kinda guy, he’s also a lie to the media to throw other teams off the scent kinda guy. I’ll never be tricked into thinking he lets thing slip ever again. If he seems to have mistakenly said too much, it’s because he wants you to think that.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Doesn’t really matter. You can see the strategy of insulating the Kellers and Cooley’s of the build with towering support players. But, Simashev, Geekie, Lamoureux.

Of course not all the picks are going to hit but the Coyotes have collected and have still yet to pick such a massive haul of top 3 round picks that I think having some sort of broader strategy is going to pay off.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
And if you look at Simashev next to BA, he seems about 1inch taller. Then But next to Simashev seems about 1inch taller than him.
Simashev is listed at 6'5", But at 6'6", so considering the previous calculation that Armstrong could be a bit smaller than 6'5" though it sort of makes sense to me.

rt

May 13, 2004
Simashev is listed at 6'5", But at 6'6", so considering the previous calculation that Armstrong could be a bit smaller than 6'5" though it sort of makes sense to me.
I don’t agree with BA being 6’4. I think he’s 6’5 and Simashev is 6’6 and But is 6’7. Meanwhile I think Geekie is 6’4 and Lamoureux is 6’7.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
everyone knows russian inches are slightly longer than US inches - common fact. Daniil But is likely 6'9 in russia but probly closer to 6'6 on are side of the pond

heres proof - But (left side) with Gary Bettman (right side, if you ask him at least 5'10" on a good, warm day)

1702736518967.png

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
everyone knows russian inches are slightly longer than US inches - common fact. Daniil But is likely 6'9 in russia but probly closer to 6'6 on are side of the pond

heres proof - But (left side) with Gary Bettman (right side, if you ask him at least 5'10" on a good, warm day)

View attachment 784362
Thankfully there is no such thing as inches in Russia, as they use normal units there, so only plumbers know what it is. Therefore you need to call a plumber to have the units converted and the precision will be very dependent on how sober he is at that moment.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
Thankfully there is no such thing as inches in Russia, as they use normal units there, so only plumbers know what it is. Therefore you need to call a plumber to have the units converted and the precision will be very dependent on how sober he is at that moment.
so are we thinking a plumber measurd Daniil But (6 ft 9) and that was relayed to the Phoenix Coyotes

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
Doesn’t really matter. You can see the strategy of insulating the Kellers and Cooley’s of the build with towering support players. But, Simashev, Geekie, Lamoureux.

Of course not all the picks are going to hit but the Coyotes have collected and have still yet to pick such a massive haul of top 3 round picks that I think having some sort of broader strategy is going to pay off.
I agree. I think they are building a longterm winner in the desert. I’d have taken Michkov and held on to his rights but I’ve liked their other moves

Reactions: BKarchitect

Faceboner

Jan 6, 2022
So zona gonna draft silayev too maybe they get lucky and get lindholm somehow and end up with the biggest team

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad