F Cole Caufield - Univ. of Wisconsin, NCAA (2019, 15th, MTL) Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
Watching The USA/ Finns game on TSN, they never miss a chance to talk about him. Like every 5 minutes, lol. Time will tell if he can make it at his size, sure can score.

Last edited:

Hacketts

Jul 12, 2018
Watching The USA/ Finns game on TSN, they never miss a chance to talk about him. Like every 5 minutes, lol. Time will tell if he can make it at his size, sure can score.

As a Canadiens homer, they definitely don't miss chance a to bring him up...if not a bit overboard tbh

...but then you see goals like he just scored and it kinda makes sense :)

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

Im pretty sure its a dig at the Habs or something, but they talked about him just as much before the draft too.

HabsMD97

Jun 30, 2014
king's landing
never seen someone score from that position so consistently before. I remember Plekanec always shot from anywhere on the ice but you knew it was a waste of time and it was extremely frustrating. When Caufield shoots, its almost always a dangerous shot no matter where he is on the ice.

tealhockey

@overtheboards
Jun 2, 2012
www.tealhockey.net
never seen someone score from that position so consistently before. I remember Plekanec always shot from anywhere on the ice but you knew it was a waste of time and it was extremely frustrating. When Caufield shoots, its almost always a dangerous shot no matter where he is on the ice.

and on the other side of that, he's always willing+able to make a passing play decisively if there is no shot. he's a legit dual threat already

Reactions: Fixxer

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
and on the other side of that, he's always willing+able to make a passing play decisively if there is no shot. he's a legit dual threat already

tbh HE is able to do that, but doesn't do it enough, been a fan of his since i can't remember but i still feel like he forces his shot either he could make a pass or he could wait before doing his shot!

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Filthy shot. What a great goal scorer.

He's going to make a lot of teams look silly for passing up on him, although I am still happy the Kings took Turcotte for his overall play.

Reactions: David Suzuki

cobrakaineverdies

May 9, 2019
Teams are so stupid for letting this kid fall to 15. When will they learn?
I feel like it had something to do with how the playoffs went down this past season, bigger heavier teams went further than the smaller more skilled ones, but who really knows. Might be a few teams that end up regretting passing on him before its all said and done

Saxon

Mar 9, 2015
I feel like it had something to do with how the playoffs went down this past season, bigger heavier teams went further than the smaller more skilled ones, but who really knows. Might be a few teams that end up regretting passing on him before its all said and done
Marchand/Schwartz managed ok.

Reactions: Help

tealhockey

@overtheboards
Jun 2, 2012
www.tealhockey.net
tbh HE is able to do that, but doesn't do it enough, been a fan of his since i can't remember but i still feel like he forces his shot either he could make a pass or he could wait before doing his shot!

I've been watching him off and on since he was 14, I think he is just eager to score lol. No one is perfect.. he's pretty polished though. Some of the crazier shots he takes are not that crazy for him (see the severe angle from today)

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland

Then you have never seen Alex DeBrincat score goals ;)

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Why would they rush him? It makes no sense to have him not play at least a year at Wisconsin, on what should be a very talented Wisconsin team.

The only reason I'd say it's maybe not rushing him is that he's not going to hit a huge growth spurt and while he's small, he's pretty strong for his size. So while I'm sure Montreal has a plan with him to maybe add a few pounds, it's not like they need to park in the NCAA for a couple of seasons while he gets bigger.

But I still wouldn't sign him now. Wisconsin is going to have a lot of talent as you mention and his brother also plays for the Badgers. He can get better and maybe add a few pounds. Let him play in the NCAA for one season against bigger, stronger, and older players, as well as the WJC, and see how it goes. If he has a huge year, as I think everyone expects, then I think it makes sense to try and sign him after his NCAA season is over, let him play a few NHL games (or more depending on how Montreal's season is going) to end the year, with the plan to possibly make the team next season.

Unless he has a down year, I don't see the need for him to play more than 1 NCAA season unless that's what he wants, such as he wants to win a championship or play with his brother longer.

Last edited:
Reactions: stanley25

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
The only reason I'd say it's maybe not rushing him is that he's not going to hit a huge growth spurt and while he's small, he's pretty strong for his size. So while I'm sure Montreal has a plan with him to maybe add a few pounds, it's not like they need to park in the NCAA for a couple of seasons while he gets bigger.

But I still wouldn't sign him now. Wisconsin is going to have a lot of talent as you mention and his brother also plays for the Badgers. He can get better and maybe add a few pounds. Let him play in the NCAA for one season against bigger, stronger, and older players, as well as the WJC, and see how it goes. If he has a huge year, as I think everyone expects, then I think it makes sense to try and sign him after his NCAA season is over, let him play a few NHL games (or more depending on how Montreal's season is going) to end the year, with the plan to possibly make the team next season.

That said, unless he has a down year, I don't see the need for him to play more than 1 NCAA season, assuming he's willing to sign after 1 year.
I was thinking more along the lines of, I don't think he's quite NHL ready, very few players are in their D+1 season. I mean, they could sign him and plant him in the AHL, which is a grind for an 18-year-old kid given the 3 games over a Friday to Sunday schedule every so often along with the bus travel. The most reasonable plan is just to have him at Wisconsin for a year, and then make a decision in March/April of whether they want to give him some NHL games or some games in the AHL or whether they think he should go back for a sophomore season. Signing him now doesn't make a lot of sense. 1st round NCAA picks almost always sign with the team that drafted them unless you hold off on offering them an ELC until they are an upper-classman which is what happened with Kevin Hayes.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal

Unless he has a down year, I don't see the need for him to play more than 1 NCAA season unless that's what he wants, such as he wants to win a championship or play with his brother longer.

agreed

Reactions: William H Bonney
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad