F Bulat Shafigullin - Neftekhimik Nizhnekamsk, KHL (2018, 82nd, LAK)

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Neftekhimik's coach is Andrei Nazarov, he is quite emotional and Shafigullin didn't play too well when they gave up the decisive goal in the game one.

Is that why his ice time is around 11 minutes and 8 minutes in games 2 and 3?

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
How is he doing in Russia? Obviously not putting up points - is he playing poorly as well?

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
His ice time is very limited, 6:22 per game.

Sure. But that is always a bit of a chicken and a egg thing. He is not scoring because he is only playing 6 mins a game or he is only playing 6 mins a game because he isn't scoring?

That is why I asked. I don't watch games from Russia so it would be interesting to know if he is showing signs of being capable of more or not. I loved him pre-draft - I guess I expected that he would have gotten a bigger role by now.

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
Can a frequent Russian watcher shine light on why Bulat was given the 'A'? He is the youngest player on the team and pointless in 22 games. A great talent, but wouldn't really have expected that.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
Can a frequent Russian watcher shine light on why Bulat was given the 'A'? He is the youngest player on the team and pointless in 22 games. A great talent, but wouldn't really have expected that.

Shafigullin was assistant captain for 1 game, the season opener. It’s anybody’s guess why. (Coach) Nazarov is unconventional. Perhaps Nazarov was unhappy with the leadership in the lockeroom during preseason and was trying to send a message to the veterans.

Reactions: Tryamkin

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
And he got those two points in teh same less-than-7-minutes of icetime he's been getting on average.

Probably hard to be a scorer with 12th forward minutes.

ProspectsFanatic

Nov 13, 2012
Not as impressive as last season statistically (nonetheless top10 PPG MHL for players over 10games), but you understand how he managed to produce so much last season when you watch him play. Strong skater, smooth hands, can shoot and make plays. Lack of international exposure due to unfavorable age cutoff.

Recent pre-season goal

Last edited:

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Which one?

Honestly I don't care as long as he gets minutes.

Same thing happened to Dergachyov, spent 3-4 years getting 6-7 minutes a game and now he's hardly on the radar. If the KHL experience is going to be the same Bulat, he'd be better served in a different league.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Honestly I don't care as long as he gets minutes.

Same thing happened to Dergachyov, spent 3-4 years getting 6-7 minutes a game and now he's hardly on the radar. If the KHL experience is going to be the same Bulat, he'd be better served in a different league.
LOL No. Dergachyov was never that good to begin with. Just overhyped in NA for no reason. I mean, he was a junior NT 4th liner. Those are no guaranteed pros most of the time. Same thing with Shafigullin. He is in the perfect spot for his development. With a rather bad team that can't afford to sit youngsters if they are any good. If he is right now not good enough he has nobody to blame but himself. That is not to say he can't turn it around. He is not a prospect of a sure shot caliber. Those can take years to finally mold into something.

TopC0rner

Feb 21, 2018
LOL No. Dergachyov was never that good to begin with. Just overhyped in NA for no reason. I mean, he was a junior NT 4th liner. Those are no guaranteed pros most of the time. Same thing with Shafigullin. He is in the perfect spot for his development. With a rather bad team that can't afford to sit youngsters if they are any good. If he is right now not good enough he has nobody to blame but himself. That is not to say he can't turn it around. He is not a prospect of a sure shot caliber. Those can take years to finally mold into something.

To develop, prospects need ice time regardless of their skill level. Players don't develop well playing less than 10 mins per game on the 4th line. If he's not good enough for the KHL, he should play in the MHL or another league where he will get the ice time he needs to develop.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

Neither guy is guaranteed and I never said either were.

But even stars won't develop sitting on the 4th line/bench of teams, good or bad.

Will never understand this masochistic "Well, you should have just been better" thing, as if one can develop on their own while stuck in hockey purgatory. KHL isn't a developmental league, I get that, and that's exactly my point. Rotting on the bench does nothing for anyone, and sitting there until they're in their prime before becoming a random KHL 3rd-liner so you can say "see I told you so" is exactly why I'm suggesting it's better to be playing elsewhere. I mean, in Dergachyov's case, playing for SKA behind all sorts of allstar vets is a stupidass development situation from an ice time perspective. Yes, it's cool to absorb hockey knowledge from Gusev, Datsyuk, et. al., but playing 5 minutes a game...he may as well be working the white board.

If they have no intention of playing in the NHL, cool. Stay at home and play deep in the KHL, no hard feelings. But from a Kings perspective, it's absolutely garbage to have them just rotting there.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
To develop, prospects need ice time regardless of their skill level. Players don't develop well playing less than 10 mins per game on the 4th line. If he's not good enough for the KHL, he should play in the MHL or another league where he will get the ice time he needs to develop.
Well, you obviously even haven't heard of the VHL. BTW the ice time obsession is just another hype. Ice time does not equal quality of development.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Neither guy is guaranteed and I never said either were.

But even stars won't develop sitting on the 4th line/bench of teams, good or bad.

Will never understand this masochistic "Well, you should have just been better" thing, as if one can develop on their own while stuck in hockey purgatory. KHL isn't a developmental league, I get that, and that's exactly my point. Rotting on the bench does nothing for anyone, and sitting there until they're in their prime before becoming a random KHL 3rd-liner so you can say "see I told you so" is exactly why I'm suggesting it's better to be playing elsewhere. I mean, in Dergachyov's case, playing for SKA behind all sorts of allstar vets is a stupidass development situation from an ice time perspective. Yes, it's cool to absorb hockey knowledge from Gusev, Datsyuk, et. al., but playing 5 minutes a game...he may as well be working the white board.

If they have no intention of playing in the NHL, cool. Stay at home and play deep in the KHL, no hard feelings. But from a Kings perspective, it's absolutely garbage to have them just rotting there.
Let's begin with a simple statement. They were 3rd rounders, which seemes alright for both of them. How often do 3rd rounders become NHLers? Obviously the Kings would be thrilled if both of them developed into NHL material players, but let's be realistic.

And ice time isn't everything. Especially for development. This is a very NA concept where juniors are put through as many competitive games as possible. Only I also know the view of many successful coaches in Russia and Europe who would claim that to be at least not the only nor the best way of development.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad