F Bulat Shafigullin - Neftekhimik Nizhnekamsk, KHL (2018, 82nd, LAK)

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Does anyone know what happened in his 1 KHL playoff game? 0 points, 27 PIMs
Major brawl. Nazarov is the coach. He is known for provoking this kind of ... from his players. One of his favorites has gotten a ban for life in the KHL(might be let in the league next season on parole), but they never learn. Naz is getting his rep, the kids suffer from his "coaching". Strange thing, he is not a bad hockey coach and they managed a surprisingly good season... only to produce this major meltdown in the playoffs with a major brawl and following suspensions and some star players going to war with Naz and being "traded" during(!) a playoff series. Seems to be a matter of time with Nazarov. At some point his teams just channel the inner goon of their coach.

Shafigullin just accidentially got involved here. No impact on his further career expected.

Near 5:00 you can see Shafigullin hugged by the ref :)

Naz is making the younglings do stupid things. Eventually they learn better.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
People who say that Denisenko is better than this guy are high. Of course there is a chance I'm high and am missing something, but Shafigullin does things offensively the other guy can't do.

There are flaws and bad habits, but you take the guy with the game breaking talent because the potential payoff is huge. If I am a team like Carolina and I'm selecting high second round after drafting Svechnikov I take Shafigullin next.

The prevailing orthodoxy about draft picks is very conservative. After the first couple of tiers of drafting talent, teams begin loading up on "character" players, checkers, grinder-types by the second round. But safe picks bust most of the time as well. You could swing big on a guy like this in the second round and you will do no worse than most other teams that take a rugged Canadian boy who interviews well.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
People who say that Denisenko is better than this guy are high. Of course there is a chance I'm high and am missing something, but Shafigullin does things offensively the other guy can't do.

There are flaws and bad habits, but you take the guy with the game breaking talent because the potential payoff is huge. If I am a team like Carolina and I'm selecting high second round after drafting Svechnikov I take Shafigullin next.

The prevailing orthodoxy about draft picks is very conservative. After the first couple of tiers of drafting talent, teams begin loading up on "character" players, checkers, grinder-types by the second round. But safe picks bust most of the time as well. You could swing big on a guy like this in the second round and you will do no worse than most other teams that take a rugged Canadian boy who interviews well.

I've never understood the inclination to draft safe players. Almost every draft pick is a project. There are like 2 or 3 of them who are guaranteed NHL'ers just because their current level of play probably is that of an NHL'er. And if they didn't improve, they could still produce in the NHL. All the rest of the drafted players need to make improvements to play in the NHL.

Reactions: Fantomas

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
I've never understood the inclination to draft safe players. Almost every draft pick is a project. There are like 2 or 3 of them who are guaranteed NHL'ers just because their current level of play probably is that of an NHL'er. And if they didn't improve, they could still produce in the NHL. All the rest of the drafted players need to make improvements to play in the NHL.

I don't know if it's because NHL teams overthink or underthink things, but when you have a guy who is producing at a historic rate in a very tough league (I am not exaggerating here either), highest since Kucherov, and is obviously talented, intelligent and competitive, why overlook him? I am particularly baffled to see mid-around projections for Shafigullin which are never well explained (he floats and scores on the PP too much? that's it?).

The bizarre shoehorning of Denisenko on pretty much every list I see between 15-25 is simply beyond my comprehension. What makes this guy so special and what separates him from Shafigullin? His intangibles and exemplary citizenship? He uses the fork and knife properly in restaurants? Holds doors for ladies? His on-ice results do not seem to justify the consensus view I am seeing.

It will be interesting to see how early or late someone pulls the trigger on Shafigullin in the draft. I would take the guy with the historic production, but I am not a GM of an NHL team.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
I don't know if it's because NHL teams overthink or underthink things, but when you have a guy who is producing at a historic rate in a very tough league (I am not exaggerating here either), highest since Kucherov, and is obviously talented, intelligent and competitive, why overlook him? I am particularly baffled to see mid-around projections for Shafigullin which are never well explained (he floats and scores on the PP too much? that's it?).

The bizarre shoehorning of Denisenko on pretty much every list I see between 15-25 is simply beyond my comprehension. What makes this guy so special and what separates him from Shafigullin? His intangibles and exemplary citizenship? He uses the fork and knife properly in restaurants? Holds doors for ladies? His on-ice results do not seem to justify the consensus view I am seeing.

It will be interesting to see how early or late someone pulls the trigger on Shafigullin in the draft. I would take the guy with the historic production, but I am not a GM of an NHL team.
Denisenko has shown some on ice results for a long period. Shafigullin is a quick riser. Nothing that never has been seen before. They are prospects. Some guys get noticed earlier. I think you are overthinking it.

And in the end not being drafted is a bliss.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
I think, Kings won't have big problems to get the kid from Russia, because, you know, Los Angeles, California, Hollywood and all things.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I think, Kings won't have big problems to get the kid from Russia, because, you know, Los Angeles, California, Hollywood and all things.

When is there ever a problem with getting them to eventually come over? If there's a problem, its keeping them if they aren't slated to play on the NHL team.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
I like what I hear about this kid, but the Kings have had a terrible time bringing their later round European picks to North America like Dominik Kubalik, Prokhorkin and Dergachyev. does anyone have any idea if Bulat has any intention of coming to N.A. after next season?

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
LA has had big problems with this.

Edit: see above

Didn't you get Prokhorkin over? He played some games in the AHL. Dergachyov wasn't any good. Thats why you didn't get him to come over. You weren't going to put him in the NHL, and he presumably didn't want to ride buses in the AHL. Thats what I'm saying. Its a problem if they don't make the NHL team. Not an issue if they will. Kubalik isn't Russian.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Didn't you get Prokhorkin over? He played some games in the AHL. Dergachyov wasn't any good. Thats why you didn't get him to come over. You weren't going to put him in the NHL, and he presumably didn't want to ride buses in the AHL. Thats what I'm saying. Its a problem if they don't make the NHL team. Not an issue if they will. Kubalik isn't Russian.

That's still a problem though for a team who isn't going to guarantee roster spots especially since every one of these guys doesn't even bother to TRY to make the team out of camp even once (every one is a different situation though).

I see Bulat's situation as a bit like Prokhorkin's. I think Porky is presumably skilled enough and good enough to be an NHLer but I sure wouldn't be willing to absolutely guarantee it, yet he won't come over to ride buses in the AHL as you say. Now if he blows the doors off? Different story entirely obviously.

I guess all I'm saying is in the end they aren't even often willing to even fight for the spot so they don't come over at all instead.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
That's still a problem though for a team who isn't going to guarantee roster spots especially since every one of these guys doesn't even bother to TRY to make the team out of camp even once (every one is a different situation though).

I see Bulat's situation as a bit like Prokhorkin's. I think Porky is presumably skilled enough and good enough to be an NHLer but I sure wouldn't be willing to absolutely guarantee it, yet he won't come over to ride buses in the AHL as you say. Now if he blows the doors off? Different story entirely obviously.

I guess all I'm saying is in the end they aren't even often willing to even fight for the spot so they don't come over at all instead.

Its a fair point. I guess my response would be that in 3-4 years, you hope Shafigullin is good enough that he doesn't really need to "compete" for a roster spot. You hope he goes in with a situation where as long as he's not catastrophically bad, he has a spot because he's earned it through his KHL play in previous years the same way a guy from that played in the AHL in the prior season might go into a camp likely having a spot for a team.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Хоккейный клуб «Нефтехимик» (Нижнекамск)

Interview with Bulat. Nothing especial, he's talking about a lot of work, he's been doing this preseason and his hope to become a KHL starter in this coming season. And how much he was happy, when LAK picked him, so he hopes to play with Kovalchuk one day. And I love interviewer's remark, that junior line Shafigullin - Bikmullin - Hairullin was the best in the last Neftekhimik's scrimmage, having scored 3 goals.

Last edited:
Reactions: King'sPawn

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Both weren't even remotely as good as Bulat in their respective draft years, though.

Debatable. Loktionov was a mainstay on the Russian national team from a very young age, made the U18s as an underager and played very well. He was an excellent junior player and I'm still disappointed he didn't become more than what he is.

Shafigullin is more of a sniper though, way more under the radar, and there is a chance he will surprise many people.

Sticktape

Jan 25, 2017
Eliteprospects has this player listed as an assistant captain of his KHL team. Is that true?

Sticktape

Jan 25, 2017
According to KHL website, he was in the first game of the season, but after that "A" was given to Dmitri Ogurtsov (for the record, he was also playing in the first game).

Is that typical for KHL teams to do?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad