F Brady Tkachuk (2018, 4th, OTT)

Status
Not open for further replies.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Great player. Definitely making me look like a fool. I thought he might become a good producer a few years in, but to see this kind of play in his rookie year is damn impressive.

8 goals in 41 college games fooled alot of people. You're not alone.

Reactions: haveandare

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Why wouldn’t he be projected to be better than Matthew? He was drafted higher and definitely would have destroyed the OHL if he played there. The NCAA is by all accounts a more difficult league to play in.
You can't compare across drafts like that. 4th and 6th isn't a significant change either.

Phenomenon13

Oct 10, 2011
Why wouldn’t he be projected to be better than Matthew? He was drafted higher and definitely would have destroyed the OHL if he played there. The NCAA is by all accounts a more difficult league to play in.

Matthew tkachuk outproduced his brother in d-2 and d-1 years. In d-2 Matthew has much better scoring numbers in the USHL, usdp, and wjc18. In d-1 Matthew was producing almost at a 2.0ppg in ohl, won the memorial Cup and had better wjc20 numbers. Its hard to translate ohl to ncaa but i think matthews achievements in the ohl were more impressive. matthew was tracking to be a better prospect and was ranked in the top five by almost every ranking for his draft. Whereas Brady had some more variability in his draft ranking projections. In my eyes, considering both of their play before being drafted, Matthew was the superior prospect.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Matthew tkachuk outproduced his brother in d-2 and d-1 years. In d-2 Matthew has much better scoring numbers in the USHL, usdp, and wjc18. In d-1 Matthew was producing almost at a 2.0ppg in ohl, won the memorial Cup and had better wjc20 numbers. Its hard to translate ohl to ncaa but i think matthews achievements in the ohl were more impressive. matthew was tracking to be a better prospect and was ranked in the top five by almost every ranking for his draft. Whereas Brady had some more variability in his draft ranking projections. In my eyes, considering both of their play before being drafted, Matthew was the superior prospect.
every reputable scouting service had Tkachuk top 5 or 6 at worst...not sure any of the main scouting sites had this kid below 6th...and I dont mean the HF posters who have a blog...I mean legit scouting sites...if it is out there I don't remember there being much variability outside of this mess of amateur scouts...

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
every reputable scouting service had Tkachuk top 5 or 6 at worst...not sure any of the main scouting sites had this kid below 6th...and I dont mean the HF posters who have a blog...I mean legit scouting sites...if it is out there I don't remember there being much variability outside of this mess of amateur scouts...

I believe Pronman had him lower, but maybe I am forgetting final rankings for Brady, he rose over the year with Pronman but I still remember thinking it wasn't high enough.

Reactions: AmericanDream

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I believe Pronman had him lower, but maybe I am forgetting final rankings for Brady, he rose over the year with Pronman but I still remember thinking it wasn't high enough.
he was the only one I could think of that could have him lower because Pronman values smaller skilled guys....but outside of him, Tkachuk was ranked top 5 nearly everywhere..

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
I thought he looked average in the summer showdown camp thing, but man he has been amazing for the sens, what a great story.

I thought he would be good, but not this good and this fast.
Ill gladly eat some crow for that

Phenomenon13

Oct 10, 2011

2018 NHL Draft Rankings

You can check for yourself.
Corey pronman, the draft analyst and the athletic had him outside the top six.

2016 NHL Draft Rankings
Whereas Matthew wasn't ranked lower than six for his draft. It's kinda off topic now so this is gonna be the last I'm gonna talk about it.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
2018 NHL Draft Rankings

You can check for yourself.
Corey pronman, the draft analyst and the athletic had him outside the top six.

2016 NHL Draft Rankings
Whereas Matthew wasn't ranked lower than six for his draft. It's kinda off topic now so this is gonna be the last I'm gonna talk about it.
again, THOSE ARE NOT SCOUTING SERVICES......

Not a single LEGITIMATE Scouting service had him outside of the top 6...EPIC FAIL...try again though...

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury

I dunno man, Matthew had the advantage of playing with Auston Matthews and Mitch Marner as his centermen, who are two of the best and most talented players in the league...

But regardless, Brady has had a far better start to his career so far. It will be interesting to see who comes out ahead in the future, in a brotherly rivalry kinda way.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
he was the only one I could think of that could have him lower because Pronman values smaller skilled guys....but outside of him, Tkachuk was ranked top 5 nearly everywhere..

Pronman has time for big guys, but generally they are possession monster kind of guys. Listen it is easy to pick on a guy like Pronman. He puts everything out there and for me he does a really good job. We are all going to miss, even the pros like Pronman who I think are good, but just get rotten reads on certain guys. I should be clear Pronman is a big reason why I joined the Athletic. I have been reading his stuff on a couple different websites for a little while now and enjoy it. He does update some of his thought process and there has been a progression over the year that matches the direction of the league and I appreciate that he looks at the directions of the league when doing his analysis. I can be critical of him, but I find his assessments important as somebody that doesn't have the same time to watch all these guys and is connected to far more than the handful of pro scouts I do know. I don't want to come off like a Pronman attack dog when we don't share the same assessment. He spent a lot of time answering my questions here and in other forums and from those I know that know him in person, they say he is a fantastic person.

Now, what I actually think his biggest weakness is he undervalues 50/50 battles to me. Those are players that I really hone in on when I watch lower level hockey. Are they around those battles, "the puck follows you prospects" are frequent because of talent disparity at lower levels, but when it is time to fight how do they do that? So guys like the Tkachuk brothers jump out, because they are elite in the corners, half walls and around the net. They also are really good at ceiling their own defensive zone and getting pucks out. The thing here is most players just keep getting better at it as you go up through the ranks, so if you're poor there it is a massive detriment. Yes, plenty of guys develop it, but elite guys at it generally are flashing that younger and the high end smaller skill guys you wouldn't associate with this have already worked in ways to do it despite some physical limitations. This helps explain your Marner's and Hughes level players and interestingly here he is quick to point this out on smaller pure talents in terms of their ability to win battles. But I don't think he weights it correctly on bigger guys and that is just my opinion.

For all the speed in the game, if you cannot consistently win individual battles, you're going to struggle in the league and be turned into a perimeter type player that is a liability at times to your team. I think he should focus that a little more back into his thinking. While I agree with his heavy shift towards speed and skill with the rules changes and evolution for the game, players that work as hard as the Tkachuk brothers with tons of talent to boot really shouldn't be slept on and that should be the lesson they have taught a lot of people that wanted to rank them far too low in my opinion.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tasty Biscuits

knifer

Sep 4, 2006
yk
I dunno man, Matthew had the advantage of playing with Auston Matthews and Mitch Marner as his centermen, who are two of the best and most talented players in the league...

But regardless, Brady has had a far better start to his career so far. It will be interesting to see who comes out ahead in the future, in a brotherly rivalry kinda way.

Matthew played with Dvorak and Marner in London. He put up crazy numbers alongside those but many questioned if he was simply a passenger on the line. Brady's offensive game was in question but his size and snarl made him interesting. Neither were sure fire top flight NHL players when drafted.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
He was definitely scoring above his actual level earlier. You dont go from 8 goals and .8ppg in college to ppg in the NHL as a 18 year old. I think anything over 40 points is a great rookie season for Tkachuk.

Reactions: GrittyHawkDown

13 others

Apr 18, 2007
He was definitely scoring above his actual level earlier. You dont go from 8 goals and .8ppg in college to ppg in the NHL as a 18 year old. I think anything over 40 points is a great rookie season for Tkachuk.
It's apparently hard for people to understand this. People who questioned his goal scoring were dismissed. He was scoring garbage goals early in the year. My god the hype in this thread is embarrassing.

I would do dirty, terrible, disgusting things to have brady join matt on the flames. Gaudreau? Lol...

Mother of God this kid is a monster.

2 goals in the third to tie the game (plus 1 assist).

Lol at the Canucks fans saying the Calder was all but wrapped up after 15 games.

robsenz

Apr 15, 2007
Dude has gone ice cold since November ended.
He's had a ton of good chances, my only knock on him is he has a tendency to appear to give up on plays at times, that and he's one the ice twice a shift, needs to get stronger, but he obviously has some skill along with his grit and pesty ways.

Reactions: derriko

TeddyBare

Jul 28, 2016
Mississauga, Ontario
It's apparently hard for people to understand this. People who questioned his goal scoring were dismissed. He was scoring garbage goals early in the year. My god the hype in this thread is embarrassing.

Why is it embarrassing?
He is a strong possession player on the runaway worst possession team in the League by far.
5v5:
G/60 = 1.1 if you compare with other rookies like Kotkaniemi is double his.
P/60 = 2.0 same as kotkaniemi
he is about to have roughly the same season as his brother rookie season points wise while playing on a pretty bad team.

am I missing something.

13 others

Apr 18, 2007
Why is it embarrassing?
He is a strong possession player on the runaway worst possession team in the League by far.
5v5:
G/60 = 1.1 if you compare with other rookies like Kotkaniemi is double his.
P/60 = 2.0 same as kotkaniemi
he is about to have roughly the same season as his brother rookie season points wise while playing on a pretty bad team.

am I missing something.
Would you trade Gaudreau for him? Did you expect him to keep up with Pettersson?

13 others

Apr 18, 2007
Are you this vigilant when people compare Pettersson to Gretzky???

Or are you just a guy with a sore butt and an agenda?
"Damn you Wayne, why did you say you saw some of yourself in Pettersson"
Are you happy now?

It seems like your upset your team is in last place without a 1st rounder so I think you're the one who's bum is sore. Tkachuk is all you have, I get it. You can't really respond so the only option is to derail the thread.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
"Damn you Wayne, why did you say you saw some of yourself in Pettersson"
Are you happy now?

It seems like your upset your team is in last place without a 1st rounder so I think you're the one who's bum is sore. Tkachuk is all you have, I get it. You can't really respond so the only option is to derail the thread.

Haha ohhhh burn, the shitty team I like has 7 fewer points than the shitty team you like - you got me so good!!

I am not even going to respond, you are attributing false feelings and arguments not just to me but to the guy you replied to before me, clearly you have all the answers :)

Reactions: bert

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
No kidding. I actually visited this thread yesterday and considered bumping it. I distinctly remember some posters in here demanding everyone “eat crow” when he was a PPG six games in with half his points having bounced off his ass...

He’s still a damn good prospect and pick, but there was nothing to suggest he should be a high point scorer, and we’re seeing it now. Stone has boosted his production a lot, too. That being said, he’s one of those guys who can add a lot while being held off the scoresheet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad