F Brady Tkachuk (2018, 4th, OTT)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
Love this kid. When the Sabres won the lottery I was a little sad because I thought Brady was going to be a Sabre.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
this is like a Tkachuk deja vu.... I remember with Matthew, fans were displaying their displeasure and saying he was taken too high and expressed concerned about his NHL potential and all that.... Brady has been getting that too and now people seemed to be pumped after this past game. Even rival fans have been saying how dominant he was

Don't bet against Tkachuks!!!
People went crazy with a counter-narrative due to how much the fact he was a Tkachuk was so played up in the media. Then there's the group that basically just stat-watched him and then used that to knock him down against his brother, ignoring that Matthew played on the best USNTDP team arguably ever with Matthews as his center, while Brady played on a weaker team with Josh Norris as his center. Then in their draft year Brady never got an elite center for that level outside of Mittelstadt at the WJC, whereas Matthew played again with Matthews at the WJC, and Dvroak and Marner in London.

Is he going to be a franchise player? Probably not. But, he should be a valuable complimentary 1st liner. Some other guys from this draft might have a higher probability of being a franchise player, but probably with a much bigger chance of busting. The only forward who was another level from him was Svechnikov. While Zadina, Wahlstrom, and Kravtsov are probably unlikely to become franchise players, because they are flashy, people hold out that hope for them. For all of them it will be hard to accomplish being much more than a solid 1st line option. For Kotkaniemi and Hayton, it will be an uphill battle to be legitimate 1st line centers to build around. One of the better takes on Tkachuk was from an unnamed NHL scout in this year's Black Book.

"He gives the term 'complimentary player' a good name"

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
Brady Tkachuk after last night's game to his haters.

giphy.gif

Reactions: Deam78

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016
Really like this kid. I am glad Ottawa got him as he seems to have that it factor you can build around. Maybe not a franchise player as that term is used around here, but certainly the kind of player that can help turn a franchise around. Solid. Hard worker,physical and skilled. I look forward to him going head to head with Mitts in Buffalo.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
What really stood out for me with Matthew was just how NHL ready his game was coming into the league. Excelled in board battles, around the net, defensive positioning, physicality, and making plays with very little time and space. Almost like he had had a coach or someone prepare him for years on the more technical aspects of the game at the NHL level that sometimes get overlooked playing in the junior leagues. Wonder if we'll be seeing the same thing with Brady.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
What really stood out for me with Matthew was just how NHL ready his game was coming into the league. Excelled in board battles, around the net, defensive positioning, physicality, and making plays with very little time and space. Almost like he had had a coach or someone prepare him for years on the more technical aspects of the game at the NHL level that sometimes get overlooked playing in the junior leagues. Wonder if we'll be seeing the same thing with Brady.

Well Matthews gives a lot of credit in terms of that to his time spent around the Tkachuk family. So it wouldn't be surprising, both the Hughes family and Matthews are pretty open about the big impact the Keith had on their careers. His own kids obviously got the same advice.

Brady is a really complete hockey player in my opinion. He does a lot of the little things that it feels like most guys don't learn until their early to mid 20s.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
Yeah and this was quite obvious too.

However, I guess the concern is still present. Everyone knew he was a safe bet to be a good NHL player. He is very NHL ready physically, so it is not a surprise that he would dominate against 18 year olds and camp invites with no NHL potential. He just might not have quite as high of a ceiling as some of the other players picked around him. He is the "safe pick". That is generally not exciting for the fans. However, that can often turn out to be the best pick.

For sure in that one game, he showed skill, strenght and willingness to drive the net which is a great combo and very valuable for teams if it translates in his NHL play (and I think it will).

Good post, just one thing that I think is often overlooked - Brady is not really developed physically. He is tall and strong, but he's also extremely stringy (even for a guy with very low body fat) and has a lot of room to grow. Not only that, but his coordination is not completely developed/in sync. I expect a lot of physical development still to occur for Brady.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
A likely better scoring prospect than most seemed to want to give him credit for...Is he a cant miss 80 point superstar probably not ,a good physical top 9 forward that can produce some offense and has an impact far behind just points ...More than likely ,great pick for a terrible possession team

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
I've rarely seen a young player have a combination of vision, speed and physical play like him. He's the type of player you buy tickets to go see.

His skillset is similar to Stone's but is more provocative and physical.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

I would say definitely. they get it for sure,,, and its all out every shift. Pretty great to watch

Reactions: Karlstrobe

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
looks like he is out injured (minor supposedly) for G1. Sens being cautious. He had a fantastic camp so no need to speculate otherwise

BlueGreen

Jan 3, 2018

His dad was pretty good, and may have had something to do with this.

BlueGreen

Jan 3, 2018
..says a poster with a location listed near Calgary.

They're both studs.
I still can’t believe Vancouver skipped over MT. I was devistated when benning didn’t pick him. That was a free throw of a pick blown. Kind of like the Virtanen over Nylander. Vans gm is not good at his job.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad