F Antonio Stranges - London Knights, OHL (2020, 123rd, DAL)

JiggsNY

Sep 14, 2016
New York

One of his shootout goals is getting some attention so I figured I'd start a thread for him. Plays with Little Caesars and is committed to Michigan. He's been getting high praise all year from scouts and seems to be one of the top American 02s, and most likely a lock for the NTDP next year if he chooses to go.

EP Profile: Antonio Stranges

JiggsNY

Sep 14, 2016
New York

He seems very excited too. It'll be interesting, he's also talked very excitingly about playing at Michigan especially as a Michigan kid. The NTDP is so strong recruiting nowadays, but if any CHL team can lure a top talent away it's London.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto

He seems very excited too. It'll be interesting, he's also talked very excitingly about playing at Michigan especially as a Michigan kid. The NTDP is so strong recruiting nowadays, but if any CHL team can lure a top talent away it's London.

I’ve heard not very academically inclined (but we are talking about a grade 10 kid with a scholarship), plus he’s not from a crazy college hockey hot bed like New England or Minnesotta. Knights pulled Max Jones in after a year at USNTDP. If I was gambling he’ll be at the program next year. But, Knights are always an amazing option.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I’ve heard not very academically inclined (but we are talking about a grade 10 kid with a scholarship), plus he’s not from a crazy college hockey hot bed like New England or Minnesotta. Knights pulled Max Jones in after a year at USNTDP. If I was gambling he’ll be at the program next year. But, Knights are always an amazing option.
I do understand what you are saying, but i would consider Michigan right behind Mass and Minny when it comes to a college hockey hotbed. Michigan, Michigan St, Michigan Tech, Western Michigan, Northern Michigan all d-1 schools...the only reason why they may lose kids IMO is the OHL is just right above them/in their own state and Mass kids just do not want to travel or play in French speaking cities which could be a possibility...

Reactions: Fire Ken Holland

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I do understand what you are saying, but i would consider Michigan right behind Mass and Minny when it comes to a college hockey hotbed. Michigan, Michigan St, Michigan Tech, Western Michigan, Northern Michigan all d-1 schools...the only reason why they may lose kids IMO is the OHL is just right above them/in their own state and Mass kids just do not want to travel or play in French speaking cities which could be a possibility...
Michigan has great programs. But, kids from there will report and it isn’t uncommon. That isn’t true for New England (more than Mass) and Minnesota. Part of that is it is the only one of those states in OHL territory.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Michigan has great programs. But, kids from there will report and it isn’t uncommon. That isn’t true for New England (more than Mass) and Minnesota. Part of that is it is the only one of those states in OHL territory.
agreed, just took a bit exception to your comment "he’s not from a crazy college hockey hot bed like New England or Minnesotta" - I think they are well on par with those 2, but yes much more poaching happening with the OHL then QMJHL and WHL.

JiggsNY

Sep 14, 2016
New York
Damn, that is huge. Just had to be London to nab him didn't it. He would have been the top guy on the NTDP.

Anyone know what a grievance between USA Hockey and Hockey Canada means?

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I am fine with it to be honest, I think the OHL draft should happen first then do the USNDP camp moving forward...these kids have no clue until they get drafted by a team in the OHL as to if they want to go the USNDP route. Either way just more room now for top talent to thrive here as Stranges seems ready for the OHL.

Michigan will be fine with the names they have coming in the next 2 years...ahem, Jack Hughes!

OldScool

Nov 27, 2007
I am fine with it to be honest, I think the OHL draft should happen first then do the USNDP camp moving forward...these kids have no clue until they get drafted by a team in the OHL as to if they want to go the USNDP route. Either way just more room now for top talent to thrive here as Stranges seems ready for the OHL.

Michigan will be fine with the names they have coming in the next 2 years...ahem, Jack Hughes!

Very interesting turn of events. I am not totally familiar with the rules but Cox stated that he signed a contract for NDTP. He then gets drafted by OHL team who knows he signed contract and then recruits him to go there? Does OHL have an open checkbook? I thought there were limits on paying players to like $400 a month. The OHL seems to have much more traction with young players than the QMJHL has on the east coast nowadays. Hoping for the best for the player but passing up the NDTP and Michigan (NCAA-route is proving very popular now) is certainly a calculated risk he feels is worth it.

I think representing your country is worth more than anything else in my opinion.

Reactions: clevelandcane

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
I don’t think all top talent should go to the NTDP, but there’s no way they should move the NTDP camp post-OHL draft. That’s a recruiting nightmare. Nearly all players know which route they want to take, changing the camp/draft order wouldn’t change much but give the OHL a ton of leverage. It’d probably have hurt a guy like Stranges as he’d have less leverage to dangle the NTDP commitment to scare everyone off but London.

Either way, Stranges should do what he feels is best for him, but it’s not a good look to sign with the NTDP and then back out. He should have just waited until the OHL draft and made his decision. He’s not forced to sign with the NTDP at offer, which is why they haven’t announced the team yet - some players are still mulling over their offers.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto

They'll only get Jack Hughes if he shows up this year. He's going to be in the NHL for the 2019/20 season, and he isn't going to postpone it Erik Johnson style.

Reactions: Jez

Daneurism

Nov 13, 2010
Still a crazy good recruiting class for Michigan. Perfetti and Stranges were ranked pretty closely for the ohl draft, just as many had Perfetti ranked higher.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I don’t think all top talent should go to the NTDP, but there’s no way they should move the NTDP camp post-OHL draft. That’s a recruiting nightmare. Nearly all players know which route they want to take, changing the camp/draft order wouldn’t change much but give the OHL a ton of leverage. It’d probably have hurt a guy like Stranges as he’d have less leverage to dangle the NTDP commitment to scare everyone off but London.

Either way, Stranges should do what he feels is best for him, but it’s not a good look to sign with the NTDP and then back out. He should have just waited until the OHL draft and made his decision. He’s not forced to sign with the NTDP at offer, which is why they haven’t announced the team yet - some players are still mulling over their offers.
well, then do not be shocked when this stuff happens, and not specifically saying you, just the hockey posters in general. I can't blame a kid for wanting to play for the USNDP but also wanting to play in the OHL. Big difference for US kids to be drafted by London versus lets say Hamilton...If the USNDP was this worried about it I still feel they would hold their camp after the draft to see what teams took which kids...but this doesn't happen that often, at least hasn't right out of the gate the past few years, so I think the USNDP will be fine. But if Stranges signed, that is kind of stupid as he had to have known he would be a top OHL pick and that the USNDP would easily hold a spot for him as he waited for his draft out come so no reason to commit right away unless the USNDP gave him an ultimatum of some sorts...

we will see what happens, but bigger loss for Michigan IMO as the USNDP is usually stacked year in and year out..they will be fine and have more ice time for other talents.

JiggsNY

Sep 14, 2016
New York
Yeah the whole situation is imperfect, but there's really not much you can do. If you have the draft before camp then like said above more kids will probably get dragged to the OHL, and putting it after of course allows for stuff like Stranges. I don't see a perfect solution, but I think it speaks volumes to what the NTDP has accomplished that the only team that can pull this type of stuff off is London. No other CHL team has that much pull, it speaks a ton about how highly regarded London is, but also speaks to how lucrative and appealing the NTDP is. I think the group that should have the biggest qualms is the rest of the OHL teams. Time after time London is getting top talents in the later rounds, the other teams have nothing they can do about it either, cause if they choose to draft the kid then they just wont report. It's like the rich get richer, without anyone else even having a chance.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Very interesting turn of events. I am not totally familiar with the rules but Cox stated that he signed a contract for NDTP. He then gets drafted by OHL team who knows he signed contract and then recruits him to go there? Does OHL have an open checkbook? I thought there were limits on paying players to like $400 a month. The OHL seems to have much more traction with young players than the QMJHL has on the east coast nowadays. Hoping for the best for the player but passing up the NDTP and Michigan (NCAA-route is proving very popular now) is certainly a calculated risk he feels is worth it.

I think representing your country is worth more than anything else in my opinion.

Let’s just put it this way: It won’t be Antonio’s family paying the NTDP contract termination fee. Is that money coming directly from the London Knights? No, but it’s the shame shady practices that you see in College Football or Basketball.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
Yeah the whole situation is imperfect, but there's really not much you can do. If you have the draft before camp then like said above more kids will probably get dragged to the OHL, and putting it after of course allows for stuff like Stranges. I don't see a perfect solution, but I think it speaks volumes to what the NTDP has accomplished that the only team that can pull this type of stuff off is London. No other CHL team has that much pull, it speaks a ton about how highly regarded London is, but also speaks to how lucrative and appealing the NTDP is. I think the group that should have the biggest qualms is the rest of the OHL teams. Time after time London is getting top talents in the later rounds, the other teams have nothing they can do about it either, cause if they choose to draft the kid then they just wont report. It's like the rich get richer, without anyone else even having a chance.

London wasn’t the only team that drafted American players with college commits this year.

Also Perfetti is on his way to Oshawa in a Domi-esque situation.

Everyone is taking these risks now a days. London is still the best at it but other teams are having success as well (see Vukojevic to Kitchener last year for one)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad