F Antonio Stranges - London Knights, OHL (2020, 123rd, DAL)

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Yeah the whole situation is imperfect, but there's really not much you can do. If you have the draft before camp then like said above more kids will probably get dragged to the OHL, and putting it after of course allows for stuff like Stranges. I don't see a perfect solution, but I think it speaks volumes to what the NTDP has accomplished that the only team that can pull this type of stuff off is London. No other CHL team has that much pull, it speaks a ton about how highly regarded London is, but also speaks to how lucrative and appealing the NTDP is. I think the group that should have the biggest qualms is the rest of the OHL teams. Time after time London is getting top talents in the later rounds, the other teams have nothing they can do about it either, cause if they choose to draft the kid then they just wont report. It's like the rich get richer, without anyone else even having a chance.
Windsor has a good history of luring USNTDP kids over. Some finish up before they come like Fowler, Kenny Ryan and Campbell, but they've got kids who move mid-USNTDP career like Luke Kirwan. It's not like London has gotten many of them to come over as 16-year-olds in recent years. Max Jones came at 17, they got Kane and Tkachuk after they finished, Werenski never showed, etc.

London has the best development track record in the OHL right now, so kids will report.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Let’s just put it this way: It won’t be Antonio’s family paying the NTDP contract termination fee. Is that money coming directly from the London Knights? No, but it’s the shame shady practices that you see in College Football or Basketball.
He plays in the CHL he can legally be repped by an agent (so they are buying him out of it). That isn't shady, its just what happens when one system allows for kids to be repped by agents and the other only allows "advisors." Its not shady backroom dealings like college basketball or football because there is no illusion about keeping his amateur status.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
He plays in the CHL he can legally be repped by an agent (so they are buying him out of it). That isn't shady, its just what happens when one system allows for kids to be repped by agents and the other only allows "advisors." Its not shady backroom dealings like college basketball or football because there is no illusion about keeping his amateur status.

It’s not about amateur status or representation. It’s about the source of the money. It’s not as shady, sure, but it’s not above board either, hence why it won’t be acknowledged in the eventual announcements.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
It’s not about amateur status or representation. It’s about the source of the money. It’s not as shady, sure, but it’s not above board either, hence why it won’t be acknowledged in the eventual announcements.
We don't know the source of the money, at this point its speculation. But, it is perfectly fine for an agent to buy his client out of a contract, which would be above board and legal. And, that would be my guess on how any deal is structured.

OldScool

Nov 27, 2007
Still a crazy good recruiting class for Michigan. Perfetti and Stranges were ranked pretty closely for the ohl draft, just as many had Perfetti ranked higher.

If rumors are true then Michigan loses Stranges (London) and Perfetti (Oshawa).

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Happens, they had to know on some level that they were always being used partially as leverage, especially in Perfetti's case. Its not like it hasn't happened to them multiple times (see Marner and Max Domi).

GangGreen

May 27, 2012

I’m not entirely convinced that Power doesn’t end up in the OHL, either with Flint or another team in a years time.
And maybe Truscott too ;)

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I’m not entirely convinced that Power doesn’t end up in the OHL, either with Flint or another team in a years time.
And maybe Truscott too ;)
No chance he'll go to Flint. Now, if a more desirable team makes a move I can see that happening.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
We don't know the source of the money, at this point its speculation. But, it is perfectly fine for an agent to buy his client out of a contract, which would be above board and legal. And, that would be my guess on how any deal is structured.

Yes, it is, but there’s a reason there will be no discussion of the buyout process publicly. The structure you reference is intentional and it’s because the agent is the cover. The agent is recouping those funds and it’s not from Antonio’s family.

Reactions: Torgo

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Yes, it is, but there’s a reason there will be no discussion of the buyout process publicly. The structure you reference is intentional and it’s because the agent is the cover. The agent is recouping those funds and it’s not from Antonio’s family.
Without proof that's a bold claim. Its most likely coming from an agent to secure a client. I've heard the CHL is staying the hell away from that stuff right now with litigation that is trying to open their books. He's most likely signing with a major agency, and the USNTDP buyout is noting to them to secure a future client who is likely to be a first-round pick in 2 years.

Why would the buy-out process be public? I've also heard its disputed if he even has to pay it at this point.

We are talking about a 16 year old choosing where to play junior hockey. Where do you expect there to be an in-depth explanation of how he is getting out of his USNTDP contract?

Considering what agencies pay to get there clients elite training and ice-time in the off-season. I don't know why you would think they wouldn't be willing to buy out arguably the best American player for this year (debatable with Kleven) to secure him as a client. We are talking about companies like CAA and Orr's agency. The agency will recoup the money not from Antonio's family, but the expected cut they get when he signs his ELC.

Last edited:

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
I don't get how NTDP is enforcing a buyout against him if he hasn't played for the team yet. The buyout after a year makes sense because players have received benefits (housing, etc) from NTDP in return for playing for them. But now?

Reactions: 93LEAFS

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
I have no idea how the NTDP contracts work, but players have been jumping to the OHL from the program or NCAA for as long as I can remember. The Plymouth Whalers were also quite successful in luring players away - - JT Miller, Sonny Milano and Ryan Hartman all come to mind. As someone who has watched a lot of games from both sides (was a Whalers STH and now have NTDP season tickets), I think both paths offer advantages for the players, and it's good they have the options.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I have no idea how the NTDP contracts work, but players have been jumping to the OHL from the program or NCAA for as long as I can remember. The Plymouth Whalers were also quite successful in luring players away - - JT Miller, Sonny Milano and Ryan Hartman all come to mind. As someone who has watched a lot of games from both sides (was a Whalers STH and now have NTDP season tickets), I think both paths offer advantages for the players, and it's good they have the options.
Big names recently to leave mid USNTDP career are Max Jones and Luke Kirwan.

Mickey the mouse

Jun 30, 2013
Stranges is top american prospect for 2020, yes? How does he compare to Jack Hughes, or even Alex Turcotte?
Not even close to either.
Hughes is ...well I don't need to talk about him
Turcotte is a big , slick, 200 ft player who has elite puck handling and play making skills

clevelandcane

Dec 30, 2011
Ohio
Any way you look at it, if a kid signs a contract to represent his country and then backs out, there's something wrong with that kid.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Stranges is top american prospect for 2020, yes? How does he compare to Jack Hughes, or even Alex Turcotte?
I've heard Tyler Kleven is actually the best American in this class. But, it is quite early to make predictions on these kids.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
How is any contract with a minor enforceable?
Its debatable if the USNTDP contract is even enforceable until he plays a game for them. Currently, they haven't really used any resources on him. It is April, they will just give his spot to another kid.

Any way you look at it, if a kid signs a contract to represent his country and then backs out, there's something wrong with that kid.
He was choosing a development path. There is nothing wrong with it. USNTDP was probably the best non-Knight option in his eyes. The Knights track record is quite amazing. His end goal is to play in the NHL and be the best possible NHL player he can be, not to represent the United States. I don't think you can fault a kid for choosing the path that best accomplishes that (in his eyes).

Last edited:

clevelandcane

Dec 30, 2011
Ohio
Its debatable if the USNTDP contract is even enforceable until he plays a game for them. Currently, they haven't really used any resources on him. It is April, they will just give his spot to another kid.

He was choosing a development path. There is nothing wrong with it. USNTDP was probably the best non-Knight option in his eyes. The Knights track record is quite amazing. His end goal is to play in the NHL and be the best possible NHL player he can be, not to represent the United States. I don't think you can fault a kid for choosing the path that best accomplishes that.
I'm not going to crucify the kid but if you make a promise, sign a contract, that should mean something.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad