F Anton Frondell - Djurgårdens IF U16, U16 Div.1 (2025 Draft)

eklund2chicago

Jan 19, 2021
Exciting talent. He's producing at one of the highest rates in the J20 of all time (for an U17 player). For instance, he has a higher ppg than what Henrik Sedin, Lucas Raymond, Alexander Holtz, Kevin Fiala, David Pastrnak, Gabriel Landeskog, Jesper Bratt, Filip Forsberg and a ton of other NHL-players had at the same age. The only players who played as many games as Frondell and has produced at a higher rate than him is Daniel Sedin and William Nylander. He is in good company :)

In other words, Anton Frondell will probably be a really, really good hockey player in the future.

Hockeyfrilla

Swe prospect fanatic
May 25, 2008
Sweden
He's producing well at World Junior A Challenge, 6 points in 4 games, facing players thats 3 year older than him.

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
I wasn’t anticipating he’d perform this well with the U18’s.
Why? He was considered to be a blue-chip prospect, almost a prodigy by Swedish standarts. In the same league as Holtz, Raymond, Nylander, Hedman, Paajarvi, A.Larsson, F.Forsberg

hockeyprospects9

Feb 10, 2023
Sweden
Why? He was considered to be a blue-chip prospect, almost a prodigy by Swedish standarts. In the same league as Holtz, Raymond, Nylander, Hedman, Paajarvi, A.Larsson, F.Forsberg
Well, he’s performing better playing a year up now, than what he’s looked like with the U17’s.

JotAlan

Apr 21, 2020
Watched Frondell’s last 3 games in J20.

He’s guaranteed to take lot of flak next season for not being a good skater and some (Pronman eg) will likely rank him hilariously low in august. I don’t know about the competition next year but he’s in the Pettersson/Carlsson tier for me as a prospect.

I had heard last year that his skating was bad, but this year it improved exponentially and it's still so bad?

JotAlan

Apr 21, 2020
Watched Frondell’s last 3 games in J20.

He’s guaranteed to take lot of flak next season for not being a good skater and some (Pronman eg) will likely rank him hilariously low in august. I don’t know about the competition next year but he’s in the Pettersson/Carlsson tier for me as a prospect.

You're talking about probably the two best Swedish prospects of the last 5-10 years. Does this mean that if Frondell's skating improves to near elite you would consider him the best Swedish prospect of the last 10 years?

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
You're talking about probably the two best Swedish prospects of the last 5-10 years. Does this mean that if Frondell's skating improves to near elite you would consider him the best Swedish prospect of the last 10 years?

I see him on the same level as those two based on what I see today and what I predict he will look like in a few years. His skating is never going to be near elite but that’s okay, he doesn’t depend on speed even at the junior level.

I had heard last year that his skating was bad, but this year it improved exponentially and it's still so bad?

It’s definitely below average/poor compared to most top prospects.

Last edited:
Reactions: JotAlan

JotAlan

Apr 21, 2020
I see him on the same level as those two based on what I see today and what I predict he will look like in a few years. His skating is never going to be near elite but that’s okay, he doesn’t depend on speed even at the junior level.

Even without good skating, you put him at this level because you believe he is an incredible talent. How do you foresee it in the future then?

Which player do you compare him to?

Last edited:

Sliptip

Sep 8, 2022
Even without good skating, you put him at this level because you believe he is an incredible talent. How do you foresee it in the future then?

Which player do you compare him to?
Sees the game incredibly well, has a very wide and deep skillset, and while he is slow at getting from A to B, he finds B consistently where other players speed straight to F and misses the play. I still have concerns over the skating, and it will be a hindrance, but he has developed and done enough to be a top top prospect regardless of that issue. Also, with the right training, it is one of the weaknesses that can be remedied the most as well, even though it will never be a strength for him.

One thing that makes me more confident in Frondell having seen him be consistently dominant at the j20 level now, is that he does really well near the boards and corners as well, which would have been a killer for me considering the skating. But now he plays really well wherever he is, and you don't fret seeing him in board battles, unlike someone like Ekberg for example.

I dont really care about it this season, but he should get good minutes at senior level next year. I don't keep up enough with prospects outside of Sweden, but he definitely has top 10 projection.

I'll try to be conservative with comparisons, but he is without a doubt the best u18 prospect in the country. It hasn't even been close this season, which shocked me, since I had concerns about him last year.

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden

An interview. He starts by asking if the interviewer has time to wait, as you don't often get free ice time (everybody but him, L.Eriksson, & Eklund had left practice already).

On Djurgården scoring a goal 7 seconds into his first shift (where he acted as the net front presence): "I got a clear message from Brodin to take a fight in front of the goal. Then I was very close to getting the puck on me."

On Fredrik Söderström (previously HC for a few teams, and acting as a TV commentator expert rn) saying Frondell looks poised as a 37 year old: "Haha, I've missed that. Fun. I'm not as strong as them, but I feel I can handle the game. I played a lot last game and it felt good. I feel strong, even if the ones I'm going up against are still bigger and stronger."

Doesn't know his own height, last time (a long time ago) he measured was around 184cm.

Comes from a Tennis family, but was quite shy when he was younger, so his dad put him on the rink, and there he has stayed.

Djurgården's HC on him: "A very exciting player who is very all-round in his game. I think he has good size, smarts, and skills. He can create for others, but also is a really good threat himself. A real exciting player we have in our system."

His best advice to young guys and gals who wants to become good at hockey: "To always come to practices and games to do your best. Always go in and have fun and take it all in, as it's the most fun thing there is."

Missing classes when he's practicing with the men's team, but wants to make a point in that he'll catch up on what he misses and that school is important.

Asked for a Swedish '07 to praise and that he has been impressed by he chose Ekberg.

There's more in the interview, mainly showing him being humble & down to earth.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Reactions: theslatcher

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad