F Andrew Cristall - Kelowna Rockets, WHL (2023, 40th, WSH)

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Strikes me as the exact type of guy who gets f***ing grilled in the team interview stage. I've been going to Rockets games for 20 years now and this kid is the only one who has gone full Connor McGregor in the walk-out tunnel. It's a meme in Kelowna at this point.

Hell of a talent, though.
What does this mean?

FourQuarters

Mar 31, 2022
From playoffs to HGC, I saw Cristall in a different light. His skating, his defensive play, he made a conscious effort to improve these problems. At the same time, it may sacrifice his offensive brilliance, so IDK whether it's good. But I'd like to see him become a more responsible player, he deserves better.

Reactions: NotProkofievian

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
From playoffs to HGC, I saw Cristall in a different light. His skating, his defensive play, he made a conscious effort to improve these problems. At the same time, it may sacrifice his offensive brilliance, so IDK whether it's good. But I'd like to see him become a more responsible player, he deserves better.

Interesting player for sure. I've got my eye on him.

FourQuarters

Mar 31, 2022
Interesting player for sure. I've got my eye on him.
You can follow Rockets next season if you want. Not a contender, but a lot of fun players to watch, Cristall, Price.
Many people only know a player from the highlights, the hype, and a few international matches, but when you follow them, You get to know different person, their talents, but also their flaws. So I have a different opinion of a lot of players, which makes me feel like a weird guy hhh
Sometimes I feel like they don't respect Cristall, his name is used as "lining", to hype up how good the 2005 class is. They didn't see his value, so they didn't award him Rookie of the Year though he had the best stats, making him an extra forward.
But for rockets fans, he is the reason why rockets had a great season. When Colton Dach got sick and Novak went to WJC, he carried this team. When Colton had 0 point and Novak got sick in playoffs, he carried this team again. For me, I love Novak more in Rockets for his strong sense of responsibility, so I'm glad to see Cristall is playing more responsible now.

FourQuarters

Mar 31, 2022
Kid is so assertive and smart with the puck. Sky is the limit next season.

He already has a great season, one of the best rockets player in regular season and definitely the best rockets player in the playoffs. But he gained minimal recognition for his games.
He is a psychologist, good at carrying the puck to the net and teasing the goalie. It's fun to watch.

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve

Improving his defensive skills would ONLY improve his draft position. He's already one of the most technically skilled players available. Eager to see the strides he'll make this season.

Reactions: Dominance

FourQuarters

Mar 31, 2022
Improving his defensive skills would ONLY improve his draft position. He's already one of the most technically skilled players available. Eager to see the strides he'll make this season.
Exactly. I like him better now than he did last season. Perform every shift responsibly, forecheck, backcheck. Didn't get a lot of minutes and top line spot, but there're a lot of flashes and individual effort.

Reactions: Bubbles

FourQuarters

Mar 31, 2022
I like the way he's dealt with adversity this time. At Kelowna, he was pampered by coaches and teammates. I remember seeing an interview where Novak, one of our best player, said he gave up some scoring opportunities to help the young guy on the team more, and we all know who the "young guy" are. He spent most of his time with Top Line and PP1, teammates and coaches went all out to help him break the franchise record.
But at Red Deer, he didn't get a lot of minutes, play with bottom line, though he had a tremendous selection camp. Instead of being frustrated or overshadowed, he took every chance, created chances and played more positively, smiles everyday.
He has always had a great energy of joy and I hope he will continue to radiate that energy to Kelowna next season

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I see what some people like about him, but not quite 5'9, skating is no better than average and it's probably not that, really does play his size, not particularly good defensively, and he's a little bit of a cherry-picker offensively. Is he an elite offense guy? It's possible, but I don't think so. There's potential there, but he has things to work on. I think he's the type of player the public will have rated a lot higher than NHL teams.

FourQuarters

Mar 31, 2022
here is interview about Mally, Kelowna's head coach.
“He thinks the game a different way, I think that his skating has improved and he’s put on some weight, like 25 to 30 pounds. ”
25 to 30 pounds wow

FourQuarters

Mar 31, 2022
Hat trick in his first pre-season game.

And he definitely looks more filled out than last year. I don't know about 30 pounds but still.
today's game don't have live stream, so that I'm not sure how he played. But hat trick is hat trick😂

2014nyr

Jun 14, 2014
honestly thought was the most impressive player on canada in the couple u18 games i saw them play. wasnt one of the guys they leaned on but for my money showed great hands/quickness/hockey sense whenever he got the puck. able to control pucks anywhere and felt/escaped pressure and showed some great hands. loved the hockey sense/skill he had. dont know a thing about him other than that but getting the impression might be a bit of a character and might turn some teams off. as long as hes motivated enough though hell grow up...if i had to put money on a guy from that team to make an nhl all star team hed be my pick.

Reactions: FourQuarters

FourQuarters

Mar 31, 2022
There is no live broadcast of today's game. But I noticed, according to the score sheet, that he took a faceoff on PK. He wasn't on the PK even once last season.
Wonder if he will take some Defensive responsibility this season.

Reactions: slumpy43

FourQuarters

Mar 31, 2022
I am not happy with his performance today, not that he is bad, 2G definitely not bad, but I know he can, and should, do better, team will heavily rely on him.
Though it's just first game, it's OK

FourQuarters

Mar 31, 2022
I feel like the coaches are trying to turn him into 2-ways player. More responsible defensive play, aggressive forecheck, that's interesting.
Also noticed he used his backhand more often.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad