F Adam Fantilli - Univ. of Michigan, NCAA (2023 Draft)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dux917

Feb 22, 2018
The older brother (Luca) is committed to Univ. of Michigan. Both have seemed pretty set to follow the NCAA route - the move to the USHL, seems to keep them on this track.

JiggsNY

Sep 14, 2016
New York
So what's the though process on his next few seasons. 2 years in Chicago? then NCAA for his draft year? I see he's a late birthday so he probably can't accelerate his schooling and he will have his draft year to play somewhere.

Funkymoses

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007
Oh wow i didn't realize you could play NCAA while being only 16? He is a December birthday so it would only be a short while but i didn't think that could be an option.

I remember Bryce Harper got his GED and enrolled in Jr. College when he was like 16, thats not the same as Div 1 NCAA, but in essence he was a HS aged kid playing college sports.

tealhockey

@overtheboards
Jun 2, 2012
www.tealhockey.net
Oh wow i didn't realize you could play NCAA while being only 16? He is a December birthday so it would only be a short while but i didn't think that could be an option.
Not sure anyone has done it, pretty confident we've never had a 16 year old since the turn of the century. Odds seem to be on him using this as a bridge year for the OHL, especially considering he won't even be eligible for the draft until 2023 (which would mean he'd be a college sophomore at that point). Maybe two years in the USHL (until 2022) and then draft year in college would be best path

Reactions: grentthealien

grentthealien

Oct 2, 2016
Newfoundland
The Steel are trending to become the London Knights of the USHL, known as a great place for development that attracts top talent from the other side of the border.

There’s a chance they could end up producing the first overall pick for both 2021 and 2023.
Dominance if you don’t mind me asking who is the 2021 player? Owen Power? That’s the only name I can think of atm. Haven’t paid attention to 2021 since like November. Has he developed well in the 2nd half?

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
Dominance if you don’t mind me asking who is the 2021 player? Owen Power? That’s the only name I can think of atm. Haven’t paid attention to 2021 since like November. Has he developed well in the 2nd half?
Indeed. Power is up there with Clarke and Raty for many people. He’s got Hedman written all over him and his size and skating will only continue to improve.

Also, teams might like him for the marketability. You can do a lot more with “Power” than “Raty” or “Clarke” :D

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Indeed. Power is up there with Clarke and Raty for many people. He’s got Hedman written all over him and his size and skating will only continue to improve.

Also, teams might like him for the marketability. You can do a lot more with “Power” than “Raty” or “Clarke” :D

Power, Raty, Clarke are front runner for ure, Wouldn't count out Lucius, Sillinger, Guenther, Pastujov, Duke, Rosen, Lambos, Lysak, Borgault, L'Heureux or Roy yet either.

2021 might be the most wide open draft I've seen since I started following drafts. No one is a guaranteed top 3 pick yet.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Power, Raty, Clarke are front runner for ure, Wouldn't count out Lucius, Sillinger, Guenther, Pastujov, Duke, Rosen, Lambos, Lysak, Borgault, L'Heureux or Roy yet either.

2021 might be the most wide open draft I've seen since I started following drafts. No one is a guaranteed top 3 pick yet.

Wasn't Aidan Hreschuk a lock by some self proclaimed expert who seems to have disappeared?:naughty:

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Wasn't Aidan Hreschuk a lock by some self proclaimed expert who seems to have disappeared?:naughty:

hahaha yes! Never trust the posters who come around here claiming to be an expert, claiming to know a bunch of scouts, puts everyone else's opinion down and then disappear when their player doesn't preform like they should have. There was a poster who did the same thing with Stankoven. Both are no where to be found unsurprisingly. Most likely these people either knew the player or are related to them and have fallen victim to proximity hype.

I knew a guy who was the best football player in my hometown. Kid was insane. Could play QB, RB, FB and WR. Was bar none the best player in town. He once scored a rushing TD, receiving TD, punt return TD, kick return TD and passing TD in one game. Dude was unstoppable. We all thought there is no way he doesn't make the CFL. Turns out when he went to camps he was among the bottom 1/3 of players in those camps. People only see the local people they know and think they are amazing. But it's because they just don't know what else is out there.

tealhockey

@overtheboards
Jun 2, 2012
www.tealhockey.net
hahaha yes! Never trust the posters who come around here claiming to be an expert, claiming to know a bunch of scouts, puts everyone else's opinion down and then disappear when their player doesn't preform like they should have. There was a poster who did the same thing with Stankoven. Both are no where to be found unsurprisingly. Most likely these people either knew the player or are related to them and have fallen victim to proximity hype.

I knew a guy who was the best football player in my hometown. Kid was insane. Could play QB, RB, FB and WR. Was bar none the best player in town. He once scored a rushing TD, receiving TD, punt return TD, kick return TD and passing TD in one game. Dude was unstoppable. We all thought there is no way he doesn't make the CFL. Turns out when he went to camps he was among the bottom 1/3 of players in those camps. People only see the local people they know and think they are amazing. But it's because they just don't know what else is out there.
The funny thing about that guy is Aidan Hreschuk is a really nice player, I don't think a high pick is out of the question at all. But when you go all out there like that so aggressively it gets hard to take you seriously. Like you said, every rung up the ladder is a big shift. Anyone who follows prospects for a while has seen so many guys who are legitimately really good at a certain age become 'very good' or just pretty good etc as they go up those rungs.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
The funny thing about that guy is Aidan Hreschuk is a really nice player, I don't think a high pick is out of the question at all. But when you go all out there like that so aggressively it gets hard to take you seriously. Like you said, every rung up the ladder is a big shift. Anyone who follows prospects for a while has seen so many guys who are legitimately really good at a certain age become 'very good' or just pretty good etc as they go up those rungs.

oh yeah both Hreschuk and Stankoven are legitimate prospects. But people latch on to the local kid, or the family member and lose sight of the bigger picture far to often. I suppose that is the nice thing about Reed Low being the best hockey prospect to come out of your town in decades. You don't get that so you can see the bigger picture pretty clearly. Though I am always big on Warriors prospects I think are good. I was livid that Point lasted past the 1st round let alone the 2nd. Thought Reilly was a monster and hyped Woo and Tracey as much as I could.

Reactions: tealhockey

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I mean it is doable, but not likely. The first person that comes to mind is Amobi Okoye who was able to play D1 football at Louisville as a 16-year-old. Assuming Fantili has had the typical education path of a kid in Ontario, he would be going into Grade 11 next year (kids tend to work on the Jan 1st to December 31st calendar for schooling here, despite being born 11 months apart he should be in the same grade as Shane Wright). So, assuming he's on schedule, it would require skipping two years. Which makes it seem like his goal would be for 2021/22. Although, who knows the exact scenario. He might have the grades to skip (if you were motivated and preplanned, it wouldn't be too hard to accelerate credit-wise, potentially going back to Ontario and doing online courses for his last 6 or so credits), and he probably only needs to sign his name on the paper to get the ACT or SAT scores to play at NoDak. I do think he might have trouble qualifying for some of the more elite Academic schools if he is fast-tracking to that extent.

sigx15

Jan 31, 2010
Assuming Fantili has had the typical education path of a kid in Ontario, he would be going into Grade 11 next year (kids tend to work on the Jan 1st to December 31st calendar for schooling here, despite being born 11 months apart he should be in the same grade as Shane Wright). So, assuming he's on schedule, it would require skipping two years. Which makes it seem like his goal would be for 2021/22. Although, who knows the exact scenario. He might have the grades to skip (if you were motivated and preplanned, it wouldn't be too hard to accelerate credit-wise, potentially going back to Ontario and doing online courses for his last 6 or so credits), and he probably only needs to sign his name on the paper to get the ACT or SAT scores to play at NoDak. I do think he might have trouble qualifying for some of the more elite Academic schools if he is fast-tracking to that extent.

Didn't realize that's how they do schooling in Ontario. We see it more often in the US as a September - August calendar for birthdays in school to be aligned with the actual schooling year.

That said, if he's only accelerating a year, it's actually not that big of a deal. Werenski, Hanifin and Eichel all did it, I'm sure they're a bunch more who've done it as well but those are the most prevalent in my mind. While Eichel & Hanifin turned 18 in their freshman seasons, Werenski was the youngest of the bunch and didn't turn 18 until the summer after his freshman year at Michigan. Also, based on history with these 3 players getting into Michigan, BC & BU, all top 40 rated educational schools in the country, I don't see him having an issue either. At the end of the day, his parents will have to decide if he has the maturity to handle being a freshman in college at 16 years old.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018

Yes exactly.

I follow high school football here in BC very closely and often the guys who actually make the CFL aren't the obvious choices from high school either.

I have a relative who was a high school star and "made it" but was a special teams player and now out pursuing a better profession.

He was really fast but slightly too small even with his strength.

I think a lot of people under estimate how big of a jump it is from being a star in junior to even making the NHL nevermind being an above average player there.

tealhockey

@overtheboards
Jun 2, 2012
www.tealhockey.net
I mean it is doable, but not likely. The first person that comes to mind is Amobi Okoye who was able to play D1 football at Louisville as a 16-year-old. Assuming Fantili has had the typical education path of a kid in Ontario, he would be going into Grade 11 next year (kids tend to work on the Jan 1st to December 31st calendar for schooling here, despite being born 11 months apart he should be in the same grade as Shane Wright). So, assuming he's on schedule, it would require skipping two years. Which makes it seem like his goal would be for 2021/22. Although, who knows the exact scenario. He might have the grades to skip (if you were motivated and preplanned, it wouldn't be too hard to accelerate credit-wise, potentially going back to Ontario and doing online courses for his last 6 or so credits), and he probably only needs to sign his name on the paper to get the ACT or SAT scores to play at NoDak. I do think he might have trouble qualifying for some of the more elite Academic schools if he is fast-tracking to that extent.
he was trying to accelerate so as to be a senior this year at KUA, graduate with his brother. Obviously that's not happening now but maybe he has done the necessary steps to be a senior already

LoveHateLeafs

Jul 7, 2009
What are the various ways a prospect can end up in the USHL? In the CHL, you need to get drafted, either in the domestic or import drafts. The press release regarding the Fantilli brothers joining the Steel mentioned Adam as having signed a tender(whatever that is) and Luca having been selected in the 2019 Phase II draft. Top 2021 prospect Owen Power was selected in the 2018 USHL Futures Draft. Can somebody explain these entry points and who is eligible for which ones?

tealhockey

@overtheboards
Jun 2, 2012
www.tealhockey.net
What are the various ways a prospect can end up in the USHL? In the CHL, you need to get drafted, either in the domestic or import drafts. The press release regarding the Fantilli brothers joining the Steel mentioned Adam as having signed a tender(whatever that is) and Luca having been selected in the 2019 Phase II draft. Top 2021 prospect Owen Power was selected in the 2018 USHL Futures Draft. Can somebody explain these entry points and who is eligible for which ones?
Futures draft is for like 15 year olds, you can tender a player by using one of your top picks in that draft and sign them directly. So you sacrifice a pick but you promise the player that they will be rostered in at least 50% of the games that season. There's another draft that isn't limited to younger players as well.

Reactions: LoveHateLeafs

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Are we sure he's going to be a big part of Chicago's lineup this year? Thats the hardest team to break into in the USHL, and Fantili is a 2023 draft eligible. Their best 2022 draft eligibles probably won't play very much. His absence so far might not be because of that, but could it be? If he's one of the very best 2023 draft eligibles, I think he'll probably be good enough to play regularly for Chicago and have an impact, but if he's only a mid/late first caliber of player, I have a hard time believing he's good enough to break into that lineup this season on an all too regular basis. I've only seen him play a few times and he looked like a good prospect. I'm not willing to say he's a no-doubt top 5 pick though.

Last edited:

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
He’s clearly capable of playing at that level. In terms of skill, I don’t think that much is even a question. And size wise, he’s already a man.

Maybe he’s waiting for Saginaw to flip him to London in hopes of their famous cash + car offer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad