News Article: Eyeing the Subban Situation - Offer Sheet Time!

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Agreed. He took his short term deal. He is going to take a seven or eight year deal this time.

Yep. Even with 64 million for 8 years (8.0 million caphit) and becoming the highest paid defenceman in the league, it won't be any kind of problem for the Canadiens.

Just let that 5.0M Gionta walk as UFA and re-sign Eller and other defencemen. They have easily that cap space (20 million + projected 5-7 million raise).

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Depends how much he likes playing in Montreal. If he feels they're lowballing him and goes to arbitration he'll get a short one

And he'd potentially come reasonably close to that $8m a year figure in arbitration. If he doesn't love being in Montreal, and he wants to cash in, hitting the open market in a couple of years when the cap is much higher would probably be the way to go.

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
Nashville really didn't want to move Weber, though. He was one of the guys they wanted to build their franchise around for a long haul. I'm not getting the same vibe from Montreal, and if they get serious about moving Subban, it's not going to be for a king's ransom.

That said, I think we're in a good position to make a move for him because we have a number of assets and limited spaces. If we could move two D for him (like one of kindl/smith and Marchenko/Jensen), plus a pick and maybe a fourth liner type (Andersson?), that works really well for us. We clear space for other prospects to step up, they get some quality back that can help immediately and that is cost controlled for awhile. Though why Montreal is worrying about money I have no idea.

Was that for real? Not even close, Montreal would laugh and hang up after an offer like that.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
I personally would give any three guys not on team right now and nyquist prospects montreal chose a 1st and a second for subban.

Dekeyser not available,,, nyquist not available. Tatar sure. Smith sure. Kindle sure.

Any prospects in system any three prospects is fine a 1st pick and a second since we always draft so high is not like will be a lottery pick etc.. you guys got to figure that in.

We are deep enough to handle it honestly. To get a norris winner at 23 is a pretty good asset for sure.

I would trade ericsson tatar and choice of sproul or mantha or ouellet plus a 3rd.

I think maybe they come out ahead but putting him with kron man we would be sick.

I think a lot of you would get mad at mantha but he needs work seriously and think jurco and nylen-janmark will both be top 6 bigger guys so we will be fine.

Sproul think will never be the defensive force most expect at own end probably. Might not even wind up better than ouellet offensively.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Subban is a guy we don't get to choose what we protect, Kindl has contract control was why I listed him in mine. If they are down for an RFA struggle, DeKeyser might be sent, but he intentionally signed here so I wonder if anyone would be wise to target him.

It is the reigning Norris Trophy winner, they bring their wish list. If it includes Nyquist or DeKeyser or both we are stuck with that as the price of doing business.

That is the reality it would be a heavy package, two of them would have to be NHL proven. Then probably a couple of our heavyweight prospects and a pick. Subban is an RFA not a rental, it would be one of the largest packages we have seen. Especially since our roster guys aren't as proven as what is generally going in these kind of things and our picks/prospects were not taken as high.

Just like we had to admit we didn't have enough for Weber we in all reality don't have enough for Subban. If they would seriously consider it, there is flatly nobody that we can protect.

They get to pick two or three guys and our first, that is just life.

TKB

Jun 12, 2010
Chicago
how much you would give up for 24 yr old datsyuk?

start from there. and then add a some.

that's the price for subban imo.

Exactly...I am thinking it is a 1st and any two Red Wings (or prospects) not named Datsyuk and Zetterberg before Bergevin even returns the call.

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
Why is this listed as "News Article"? I see a bunch of speculation but nothing that qualifies as "news"...

Oobz

Sep 29, 2009
Marquette, MI
I would be ecstatic to have a guy like Subban on the wings. Unfortunately he has never played for the wings before and hes a bit too young.

Boomhower

Aug 23, 2003
Ontario
Visit site
Why is this listed as "News Article"? I see a bunch of speculation but nothing that qualifies as "news"...

Well theres is a link provided to an article that was posted on TSN...a sports news site. Pure speculation on the Detroit aspect of it yeah.

Not sure why I would justfy its 'newsworthyness', since this story is leading all major hockey/sorts shows in Canada for the lst two days.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad