Extreme Makeover: PNC Arena Edition?!

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
Are you really considering post doc? (or is this just a joke?) If so, maybe this is a dumb question. If you already have a PHD that it appears that you aren't fully utilizing (my assumption), why would you go for a post doc? If it's paid for by someone else and/or part of a longer term plan to become faculty, that's a different story. Not busting on you, genuinely curious.

Pretty much this. This thread has gone so far off the rails I guess it doesn't matter at this point lol. My long term goal is actually to become a prof. But I am still fairly lethargic about a lot of things. I need to improve my drive, which is a large part of why it's taken me 14+ years and I still don't even actually get my Ph. D. until next year :laugh:

I wasn't even sure I wanted it for a while, despite how much I love math, it's not really a practical degree unless you actually are a professor or something.

To be completely honest, I was always a really shy person and still have some insecurities that I'm working on, but at least I found the drive to finally finish the damn thing haha.

Onwards and upwards baby :yo:

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
Pretty much this. This thread has gone so far off the rails I guess it doesn't matter at this point lol. My long term goal is actually to become a prof. But I am still fairly lethargic about a lot of things. I need to improve my drive, which is a large part of why it's taken me 14+ years and I still don't even actually get my Ph. D. until next year :laugh:

I wasn't even sure I wanted it for a while, despite how much I love math, it's not really a practical degree unless you actually are a professor or something.

To be completely honest, I was always a really shy person and still have some insecurities that I'm working on, but at least I found the drive to finally finish the damn thing haha.

Onwards and upwards baby :yo:

Marketing analytics, data science, Wall Street, NSA. Plenty of people hire math PhDs these days. In the era of big data, he who makes better regressions is King.

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
Also a PhD student in maths here.

I think it depends in how applied your research/skills are on how marketable you are to industry. I have a feeling that you can learn some coding even with a pretty theoretical degree, find some sort of job like that though. I'm not entirely sure since my interest leans much more towards academia and pure maths.

As does mine, which was part of my problem, otherwise I just would've been a stat major or like Jeff said, a Marketing Analyst or something.

I'm way more into the abstract aspects of the subject though.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I have 2 cousins that went to the NC school of Science and math and then got Math degrees at NC State. One of them works at the Research Triangle Institute and her job is doing modelling for various drug company tests. The 2nd one does modelling work for various environmental issues. So even if they aren't as plentiful, there are real world applications for Math Degrees.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
By the way, speaking of degrees, a friend of mine went to school for an "Art" degree. I busted his chops the whole time, but the guy first worked for Sothebys and was highly successful, and since then has been in high demand from a number of galleries and museums. Just goes to show, do what you love, not what you think makes you money.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
As does mine, which was part of my problem, otherwise I just would've been a stat major or like Jeff said, a Marketing Analyst or something.

I'm way more into the abstract aspects of the subject though.

Those occupations do hire a lot of people with pure math focuses. Wall Street banks are, by far, the largest employers of people with physics PhDs. It's not just about coding, there's a lot of money in trying to find mathematical ways to find connections nobody else sees, to make predictions at stocks and market trends, consumer habits. The models these businesses use involve a lot of very serious math.

More opportunities out there than you might think. Or you could just stay in academia, which is a fine life too.

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
Again, I think it depends a lot on the area and classes you took. I honestly couldn't model much of anything at all besides very simple lower level textbook-style problems despite being many, many credit hours and research projects deep into maths.

I agree the need for pure mathematical kind of thinking is there (I mean even something as abstract as Algebra is, at its bare core, all about the intuitive idea of symmetry), I just think it's oftentimes confused with the more applied areas in terms of marketability.

That being said I'm curious what area your interest lies, CI? I'm not far enough along to narrow down, but working towards research involving Geometry and DEs (hopefully PDEs if I'm good enough).

In an effort to be more on-topic: I was wondering, is this a surprise, or is this the renovations alluded to earlier over the summer? Also I assume the rooftop bar is closed during Wolfpack basketball games :laugh:

I'll give you a hint. The reason my username end's with "Identity", is because of this:

:laugh:

901529_10151559450050709_827932_o.jpg

ps - i miss my pink hair :(

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Again, I think it depends a lot on the area and classes you took. I honestly couldn't model much of anything at all besides very simple lower level textbook-style problems despite being many, many credit hours and research projects deep into maths.

I agree the need for pure mathematical kind of thinking is there (I mean even something as abstract as Algebra is, at its bare core, all about the intuitive idea of symmetry), I just think it's oftentimes confused with the more applied areas in terms of marketability.

That being said I'm curious what area your interest lies, CI? I'm not far enough along to narrow down, but working towards research involving Geometry and DEs (hopefully PDEs if I'm good enough).

In an effort to be more on-topic: I was wondering, is this a surprise, or is this the renovations alluded to earlier over the summer? Also I assume the rooftop bar is closed during Wolfpack basketball games :laugh:

It would probably work like the Bud Light Deck or whatever it's called. Open till tip-off, closed until the end of the game, at least that is how I seem to remember how that works.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad