Extend or not to Extend -

Deez Nuts

Jun 4, 2012
I haven’t posted in a couple years because many of you were sick and tired of me bashing our beloved Morgan Rielly aka Goldenboy.

But I just can’t take it anymore. This guy is absolutely atrocious. Defensively he is easily the worst defenceman on the team and one of the worst #1 D in the league in his own zone. Many have blamed Ceci or his partner over the years, which does have some merit. But if your #1 D who plays 25 minutes a game is so horrendous in his own zone this team is going nowhere. It baffles me why he is on the PK and he is utterly useless on the PP. He is pretty good in transition but once he hits the opposing team’s blueline he usually turns the puck over.

This guy will want close to 10 million when his contract is up for renewal. Paying him this kind of money is crazy IMO.

This guy needs to be shipped out sooner or later. I don’t think an extension would be wise. You can’t pay a guy like this #1 money.

Rogue Leader

Oct 12, 2019
Corellia
Don't lose faith in Morgan, dude! Times are hard now, but it will get better.
I would extend him 6M for 8 years on the spot. :)

Srsly

Feb 8, 2011
Upland
if he wants $10 million, dubas will pay him $11 million.

maybe we can just reduce our roster a few more spots, and we can hire a pylon for a backup.

all will be good in leaf land.
The pylon would have won the same number of games as Hutch did.

He's having a slow start. He's been a rock for most of his tenure. He's signed through 2022. Chill with the knee jerk reaction.

I agree, this board is almost as exhausting as it was a few years ago. Not resigning Rielly would also be an incredibly incompetent move given he was a top 10 defender in the league last season and is currently on pace for 66pts. You don’t give away a 25 year old with those credentials because of a rough stretch of games with a team that lacks overall effort.

It’s also pretty unlikely that Marner, Tavares, and Rielly all suddenly regressed to worthless pylons. It’s more likely that there’s something wrong with the team culture wise. Whether that’s the coach forcing a system that doesn’t suit the players or some negative influences plaguing the back is another matter.

Deez Nuts

Jun 4, 2012
Funny he comes here with this thread after 2 years as soon as Rielly starts struggling.
The bias is real.

“As soon as he has been struggling?”
He’s been a tire fire defensively for his whole career. Statistically, even last year he was absolutely atrocious in his own zone - one of the worst in the NHL.

Reactions: hudster

Cappuccino

Aug 18, 2017
the Netherlands
if he wants $10 million, dubas will pay him $11 million.

maybe we can just reduce our roster a few more spots, and we can hire a pylon for a backup.

all will be good in leaf land.
Maybe Dubas has found a way to also be able to pay him 11M. Just make sure the 11M men rotate who is on LTIR and you can dress a 92M roster.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
I haven’t posted in a couple years because many of you were sick and tired of me bashing our beloved Morgan Rielly aka Goldenboy.

But I just can’t take it anymore. This guy is absolutely atrocious. Defensively he is easily the worst defenceman on the team and one of the worst #1 D in the league in his own zone. Many have blamed Ceci or his partner over the years, which does have some merit. But if your #1 D who plays 25 minutes a game is so horrendous in his own zone this team is going nowhere. It baffles me why he is on the PK and he is utterly useless on the PP. He is pretty good in transition but once he hits the opposing team’s blueline he usually turns the puck over.

This guy will want close to 10 million when his contract is up for renewal. Paying him this kind of money is crazy IMO.

This guy needs to be shipped out sooner or later. I don’t think an extension would be wise. You can’t pay a guy like this #1 money.

You should take another hiatus for a couple more years ha. Rielly is good. The team is bad

Reactions: d3SIGIRL

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Rielly hasnt been great defensively at times and Id take him off the PK right now but he is a dynamic puck mover with top end vision and the main driver of the offence. His pairing also plays harder minutes than almost any pairing in the NHL and management has also said hes been banged up this year.

I've joked about him being Saint Morgan around here but hes an elite talent at what he does and is going to sign long term here.

Our top pairing hasnt been an issue worth crying about. It's been pretty damn good overall. Rielly does have defensive lapses but he makes such a difference the other way, it almost always balances out as an overwhelming net positive.

Please direct all outrage to the Barrie thread where it belongs right now.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
Pretty sure he has amongst the hardest usage in the league. D will be exposed against the opposing teams best and once he is deployed properly he will look much better. It’s been Babcocks MO his entire tenure here, run your players into the ground with the most challenging matchups even if they’re struggling.

If I were Babs I’d try Muzzin-Ceci against top lines, Rielly and Barrie in an offensive role, and Dermott-Holl as the third pair. Doesn’t look pretty but can’t be worse.

Reactions: Deez Nuts

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Don't lose faith in Morgan, dude! Times are hard now, but it will get better.
I would extend him 6M for 8 years on the spot. :)

Following in the footsteps of the Me 3, Rielly will ask for Doughty and Karlsson money. Dubas has not signed anybody under market value. What makes you think he can get Mo to sign an AAV of $6M. I would start at 8.

Reactions: Rogue Leader

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
There's still enough term left on that contract to go. I definitely think he's been better defensively and on the PK previously, but it's entirely possible he can get back to that. He is the team's best offence and minutes provider from the blueline. Approach a next contract as it gets there. He offers more to the team than he can be replaced with for the right now.

Rogue Leader

Oct 12, 2019
Corellia
Following in the footsteps of the Me 3, Rielly will ask for Doughty and Karlsson money. Dubas has not signed anybody under market value. What makes you think he can get Mo to sign an AAV of $6M. I would start at 8.
I am an idiot, but I have this feeling inside of me that he will take a discount. I know this will not come true, but somehow inside of me I have faith that at least he will not be greedy like the rest. :D

Reactions: ToneDog
Jul 10, 2003
KW

Cant see either side starting below 10m. No point lowballing a pending UFA that much, he'd get 10+ today nevermind with a few years cap inflation. I think his new contract comes up at the same time as new tv contract and expected cap bump.

gamer1035

Feb 14, 2012
Dude is a ufa. Dubas overpays rfas using a ufa scale. I can't imagine how much he will overpay rielly. 16 mil aav probably

Reactions: binop7

BeLeafInTheFuture

Jul 4, 2018
Scotland
We can thank Cody Ceci for making Morgan Rielly look atrocious. Maybe this was part of the masterplan to lower his value so he extends his contract with a lower cap hit than we all anticipated. Genius!

Ashdown2

Aug 19, 2006
the problem is he was really never a dominant player. he got a ton of secondary assists over the last 4 years and people think hes super offensive minded. he doesnt have a great shot and hes not the best defensivly. IMO hes not a top 30 defensman in this league. There is prob 1 dman on every team id rather have.
Would i pay 5mil for him .... sure i would
would i pay 7+ mil ... no way

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad