SHL: Expressen: SHL's considering new format (NHL style)

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
Swedish hockey needs Stockholm from a development standpoint, and development starts end ends with having elite clubs.

Wouldn't a high level Allsvenskan fulfill that purpose? It can be argued that having such a good tier 2 league played a big part in Sweden's recent success in player development (see OEL or Patrick Berglund).

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Look at the opposite of that and you have a small group of big players then the rest small. You think all small teams across the country will just accept that and go on as usual? No, they wont be as serious in their clubs and boom theres goes the hockey interest. No one in a small town will cheer for a bigger rival towns teams. This is typical "öka klyftorna" mentality, and we know how that normally ends.

That's not what I'm proposing. I want more teams in the SHL, maybe a lot more. That could benefit the bigger market teams, yes. It also brings more consistency to both leagues, especially when you limit (not close) relegation/promotion.

SurMartin

Jul 26, 2010
København/Skellefteå
Easy to tell a few dozen elite kids in Karlstad to go Gothenburg for development. Harder to tell a couple of thousand kids in the greater Stockholm area to go elsewhere to get proper hockey training. Swedish hockey needs Stockholm from a development standpoint, and development starts end ends with having elite clubs.
Since when do you have to play in SEL to be good at developing youngsters? If these "thousands of kids" in Stockholm stay and develop with their local teams, those clubs should have a good shot at reaching the SEL again. (In my opinion what you're describing is just BS entitlement.)
I can see the beauty in that but there are downsides as well. The SHL MUST have big market teams in order to stay competitive, that's just how it is these days, money is so essential. Having a top league with small arenas, fewer fans and less profit won't benefit anyone.
AIK had less in attendance during their last year in Allsvenskan than Karlskrona and Karlskoga have now. Örebro have gone from Division 1 and 1000 in attandance to SEL and 5100 in attendance in just 5 years. Malmö had less than 4k in attendance last time they were in SEL. And so on.
Skellefteå were near bankruptcy in 1997, slowly built their organization and is now the third/fourth wealthiest team in Sweden. Do you think they're a disaster to the development of swedish icehockey?
The size of an arena have zero impact on the competitiveness of a league.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Designated group of people reviewing every play, every night, for disciplinary purposes. I would assume they would also handle video review from there.

Current system is flawed with "home" video judges on location, and nothing outside of what the referee decides to will be reviewed by the disciplinary comittee.

Are the video judges really from home towns? In Finland the video reviewer is always the refereeing official assigned to that game.

icing

Jun 22, 2003
Sweden
Are the video judges really from home towns? In Finland the video reviewer is always the refereeing official assigned to that game.

Well. No one really knows since their identity is a secret. ;)

But they are not a part of the refereeing officials. The refereeing officials on the ice does not see the videos, they just tell the video reviewers what to look for and makes a call from what they get from the reviewers.

Qurpiz

Carry me home!
Nov 5, 2006
Can we just get this over with and have a Nordic League, with a Swedish and Finnish Conference? 14 teams each, winner of a conference is awarded Le Mat trophy/Kanada-malja and then a best-of 7 to declare a champion

Dosing

Sep 10, 2010
Edenryd
Can we just get this over with and have a Nordic League, with a Swedish and Finnish Conference? 14 teams each, winner of a conference is awarded Le Mat trophy/Kanada-malja and then a best-of 7 to declare a champion

Le what trophy? :amazed::laugh:

Panthers607

Shrink the ice already..... SHL has so boring hockey it's painful to watch

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Since when do you have to play in SEL to be good at developing youngsters?

Youngsters go where the money and opportunity is. Only a handful of teams outside of the SHL have that type of attraction. How did SAIK do pre-Elitserien?

If these "thousands of kids" in Stockholm stay and develop with their local teams, those clubs should have a good shot at reaching the SEL again. (In my opinion what you're describing is just BS entitlement.)

I'm not from Stockholm, I don't live in Stockholm, I don't have a horse in this race.

However, I know that 9 players on this year's WJC team come from the greater Stockholm area(potentially 11 if you count Hägg/Forsberg from Uppland). That's effectively almost half the team. And I also know that only two of these players still remain in Stockholm, both with DIF. Those are the hard facts.

You're only thinking in the ways of the men's team. I could care less how DIF and AIK do. But I do care about their existence for the sake of our national team(s).

Jonimaus

Jul 15, 2011
Lund
I would love to see Malmö in Elitserien, but not this way. It would leave a sour taste in my mouth for many years.

Do not want.

hz

Aug 7, 2010
Disgusting. I want elitserien to stay being a sport no to be a soulless cooperation like NHL and KHL.

Sport should not be for sale.

Jonimaus

Jul 15, 2011
Lund
Average home attendance this season:

DIF: 5871
Malmö: 5187
SAIK (12/13 champions and current league leaders): 5127

How can this possibly be good for the league? DIF and Malmö should be in the top tier, no doubt about it. (SAIK should stay too, of course.)

If no changes are made I hope the KHL comes knocking. They have already acquired Jokerit and I wouldn't be surprised if a Swedish team is up next. Or maybe two. Or why not three?
It's time to make a choice. Do we want a quality league in Sweden, or do we just want a league made up of players that simply aren't good enough for the major leagues? I want quality. If we wait too long, it may be too late.
I honestly wasn't expecting these news, but I was pleasantly surprised this morning. I'm so sick of the league in its current state. This country is capable of delivering a top hockey league. Make it happen.

Even if it's not the "Swedish" thing to do.

Darth Yoda, is that you?

Dosing

Sep 10, 2010
Edenryd

How can this possibly be good for the league? DIF and Malmö should be in the top tier, no doubt about it. (SAIK should stay too, of course.)

If no changes are made I hope the KHL comes knocking. They have already acquired Jokerit and I wouldn't be surprised if a Swedish team is up next. Or maybe two. Or why not three?
It's time to make a choice. Do we want a high-quality league in Sweden, or do we just want a league made up of players that simply aren't good enough for the major leagues? I want quality. If we wait too long, it may be too late.
I honestly wasn't expecting these news, but I was pleasantly surprised this morning. I'm so sick of the league in its current state. This country is capable of delivering a top hockey league. Make it happen.

No one will care about some third world league, get out with that already.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010

It's time to make a choice. Do we want a high-quality league in Sweden, or do we just want a league made up of players that simply aren't good enough for the major leagues? I want quality. If we wait too long, it may be too late.

I dont understand bold part. More SHL teams is not a barrier for KHL. Yes, it might be more difficults, but not impossible. Of course, if KHL wants swedish club.

Will be "new" SHL more competitive with KHL than current one? Will SHL clubs increase budget to have at least 10-12M euro? How do they want to do it?

You to understand me. I dont know what is best option for swedish hockey, I am just curious. It seems that Swedes are too obsessed by KHL. ;)

Entiae

Flip That Bat!
Aug 2, 2011
No one will care about some third world league, get out with that already.

So we shouldn't either? I'm not saying we should compete with the NHL or the KHL.

I dont understand bold part. More SHL teams is not a barrier for KHL. Yes, it might be more difficults, but not impossible. Of course, if KHL wants swedish club.

Will be "new" SHL more competitive with KHL than current one? Will SHL clubs increase budget to have at least 10-12M euro? How do they want to do it?

You to understand me. I dont know what is best option for swedish hockey, I am just curious. It seems that Swedes are too obsessed by KHL. ;)

You're right, it wouldn't stop the KHL per se, but a big-market team stuck in the lower tiers may be more willing to accept a bid from the KHL.

Again, I am not suggesting we should compete with the NHL or the KHL. No way.
But let's not slip too far down, okay?

Jonimaus

Jul 15, 2011
Lund
I wish I got that reference but I'm clueless when it comes to Star Wars.

It's the only other pro-KHL swedish (yeah I still doubt that) poster on this section. You both have pretty delusional ideas about swedish hockey.

Do we want a high-quality league in Sweden, or do we just want a league made up of players that simply aren't good enough for the major leagues? I want quality. If we wait too long, it may be too late.

I'm not sure if you live in a cave on mars or whatever, but what the hell? You do realize Sweden has aprox 9 million inhabitants, right? Most of the big cities either do not care much about hockey or has the fanbases spread out across several teams. The places were hockey is very popular are villages compared to the 3 big cities. They can not hold a team with NHL caliber which you seem to expect. The city needs more than 30,000 people to do that.

Unless Sweden magically gets another 20 million really hockey interested immigrants, we do not have the population.

And a pretty good blog post by Wennerholm in Aftonbladet: http://bloggar.aftonbladet.se/wennerholm/2013/12/ren-idioti/

Jonimaus

Jul 15, 2011
Lund

Seriously, we do not want KHL discussions here or in this thread. Go away.

Entiae

Flip That Bat!
Aug 2, 2011
It's the only other pro-KHL swedish (yeah I still doubt that) poster on this section. You both have pretty delusional ideas about swedish hockey.

I'm not sure if you live in a cave on mars or whatever, but what the hell? You do realize Sweden has aprox 9 million inhabitants, right? Most of the big cities either do not care much about hockey or has the fanbases spread out across several teams. The places were hockey is very popular are villages compared to the 3 big cities. They can not hold a team with NHL caliber which you seem to expect. The city needs more than 30,000 people to do that.

Unless Sweden magically gets another 20 million really hockey interested immigrants, we do not have the population.

And a pretty good blog post by Wennerholm in Aftonbladet: http://bloggar.aftonbladet.se/wennerholm/2013/12/ren-idioti/

I'm a little disappointed it wasn't a Star Wars reference. ;)
But I am not pro-KHL.

I'm not expecting anything near NHL caliber teams. We aren't fighting to be #1 or #2 in the world, and we shouldn't be.
I understand if my post made it seem like that was what I wanted. I apologize for that. I worded it poorly and will edit.

Last edited:

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
When deal among SHL and federation expire? If I get it, this leaked document is about negotiations among federation and SHL, it is SHL´s point of view.. right?

Entiae

Flip That Bat!
Aug 2, 2011
I'm going to try again because I barely agree with parts of my own post now.

I don't want to compete with the NHL or the KHL. That's just ridiculous.
But what I do want is to compete with the other European leagues. I don't want good talent choosing other leagues because Swedish teams don't have enough money. Losing top Swedish players to leagues other than the NHL or KHL is no fun. Not that it's fun losing players to the KHL, but we can't compete there.

I don't know exactly what needs to be done to prevent this, but I'm glad there are now serious talks about ways to possibly make improvements.

Let's truly be a desirable place to play for non NHL- and KHL-ers. I do think that is doable, but I could be wrong.

Last edited:

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
I'm going to try again because I barely agree with parts of my own post now.

I don't want to compete with the NHL or the KHL. That's just ridiculous.
But what I do want to do is compete with the other European leagues. I don't want good talent choosing other leagues because Swedish teams don't have enough money. Losing top Swedish players to leagues other than the NHL or KHL is no fun. Not that it's fun losing players to the KHL, but we can't compete there.

I don't know exactly what needs to be done to prevent this, but I'm glad there are now serious talks about ways to possibly make improvements.
If I know there are none swedish players in euro leagues.. only NHL, AHL, KHL. Maybe I missed one or two?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad