SHL: Expressen: SHL's considering new format (NHL style)

LiveeviL

No unique points
Jan 5, 2009
Sweden
Good: War room
Maybe: 14 teams

The rest is just ridiculous.

I can go w salary cap/floor too, but never close the league. What makes SHL interesting (or rather did make SEL interesting) is the regulation option/risk. That makes for true competition and that is why SHL never should be like NHL. The farm team should have the possibility to make the big league and that raise some problems with the NHL format.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
I don't like the current format. Increase the number of teams to 16 and have the team that finishes last go a best of 7 series against the top team from Allsvenskan. It should be VERY difficult to get promoted to the SHL IMO. I would hate a scenario where AIK and Färjestad were replaced by Karlskrona and Karlskoga, I'm no fan of any team but that would be a disaster for swedish icehockey. Right now that's a possibility although unlikely.

Desdichado93

Jan 7, 2012
Sweden
What do you mean with "war room"?

Its some sort of disciplinary thing, think Sheriff Shanahan

I don't like the current format. Increase the number of teams to 16 and have the team that finishes last go a best of 7 series against the top team from Allsvenskan. It should be VERY difficult to get promoted to the SHL IMO. I would hate a scenario where AIK and Färjestad were replaced by Karlskrona and Karlskoga, I'm no fan of any team but that would be a disaster for swedish icehockey. Right now that's a possibility although unlikely.

I big NO to this. Its just plain stupid. The solution is the total opposite.

sg58

Jul 15, 2008
What do you mean with "war room"?

Designated group of people reviewing every play, every night, for disciplinary purposes. I would assume they would also handle video review from there.

Current system is flawed with "home" video judges on location, and nothing outside of what the referee decides to will be reviewed by the disciplinary comittee.

Dosing

Sep 10, 2010
Edenryd
I wonder if malmö would even accept a spot in the league without earning it. Especially after trying so long to advance. The promotion would be tainted and leave a bad taste in everyones mouth.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
All teams currently in the league have the capacity to remain in the league, I'm guessing, by their standards.

Teams in Allsvenskan that do, aswell, now or in the future:
Djurgården
Malmö
Västerås
Södertälje
Timrå
Björklöven
Almtuna(?)

I'm guessing the list stops somewhere around there, and thus the 18 team figure.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
What happened to "we dont want more than 12 SHL clubs" attitude? I read it here from swedish posters. Argument was about money and revenue sharing... less clubs, more money for every club. Why did SHL change mind and want more clubs?

Swedish posters use argument of closed league as negative thing of KHL/NHL. Now you will have the same model of competition?? WOW No offense, but I can see two faces attitude here.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
What happened to "we dont want more than 12 SHL clubs" attitude? I read it here from swedish posters. Argument was about money and revenue sharing... less clubs, more money for every club. Why did SHL change mind and want more clubs?

Swedish posters use argument of closed league as negative thing of KHL/NHL. Now you will have the same model of competition?? WOW No offense, but I can see two faces attitude here.

I'm reading 90% against, 10% for a closed league. People are going crazy about this in my twitter feed.

Desdichado93

Jan 7, 2012
Sweden
So you want a smaller league and more teams relegated each year?

I want:

• 14 teams.
  • Last team in SHL relegated directly
  • Winner of Allsvenskan promoted directly
  • SHL teams placed 12-13 and teams placed 2-5 in Allsvenskan to kvalserien,
    top two to SHL.
  • no wildcards or anything else similar.
  • I dislike that teams have to be from big cities to be allowed to to get into SHL
  • teams should not be able to buy their way into SHL
The easier it is to drop out from the SHL the easier it is to get back in.
With the suggestion dropping out from SHL will probably be an effective way to kill teams. Best of 7 games and
the current version of kvalserien means that AS teams can spend insane amounts of money to try to get back to SHL without succeeding,
resulting in that teams will suffer financial meltdowns if they fail.

These suggestions were only made because Djurgården and Malmö is stuck in Allsvenskan and
because AIK, HV71 and in some extent FBK is in danger of going to kvalserien.

A closed league till kill the hockey and the interest in hockey.
The Finnish SM-Liiga already tried it and it was not a success.
So I think it would be pretty stupid to try something that others
have tried and that have failed.

If a team in SHL have a poor season they deserve to be relegated.
In the same way a team in Allsvenskan that have a great season and

wins the league, deserves the promotion.

bordshockeypampen

Dec 11, 2013

Because two teams with large markets and lots of fans never play good enough to get back to the SHL. Expanding the league with two handpicked "wildcards" can get them back.

Dosing

Sep 10, 2010
Edenryd

Pretty much no fans wants a closed plastic league. And it wouldn't be entirely closed anyways, there will still be a kval, just smaller.

Nice try though, not obvious at all :rolleyes:

icing

Jun 22, 2003
Sweden

The model of a closed league is very impopular. This has turned up a huge ***** storm in Sweden and a huge majority is against it. It will not happen under the umbrella of the swedish federation. A restructuring of the relegation/promotion is something else, e.g replace "kvalserien" (qualification league) with something else...for example a match series of "best of 7".

When it comes to 12 vs 14 or 16 teams it is of course less revenue with the same money. The goal is of course to increase the revenue, and better the product, with teams from the "right markets" (biggest cities).

SurMartin

Jul 26, 2010
København/Skellefteå
I would hate a scenario where AIK and Färjestad were replaced by Karlskrona and Karlskoga, I'm no fan of any team but that would be a disaster for swedish icehockey.
Why? There are smaller towns than Karlskrona and Karlskoga with SEL-teams.
If you win, you win. If you lose, you lose. Every existing hockeyteam in Sweden can reach SEL, that's the beauty of it.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
If you win, you win. If you lose, you lose. Every existing hockeyteam in Sweden can reach SEL, that's the beauty of it.

Easy to tell a few dozen elite kids in Karlstad to go Gothenburg for development. Harder to tell a couple of thousand kids in the greater Stockholm area to go elsewhere to get proper hockey training. Swedish hockey needs Stockholm from a development standpoint, and development starts end ends with having elite clubs.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012

I can see the beauty in that but there are downsides as well. The SHL MUST have big market teams in order to stay competitive, that's just how it is these days, money is so essential. Having a top league with small arenas, fewer fans and less profit won't benefit anyone.

Dosing

Sep 10, 2010
Edenryd
I can see the beauty in that but there are downsides as well. The SHL MUST have big market teams in order to stay competitive, that's just how it is these days, money is so essential. Having a top league with small arenas, fewer fans and less profit won't benefit anyone.

Look at the opposite of that and you have a small group of big players then the rest small. You think all small teams across the country will just accept that and go on as usual? No, they wont be as serious in their clubs and boom theres goes the hockey interest. No one in a small town will cheer for a bigger rival towns teams. This is typical "öka klyftorna" mentality, and we know how that normally ends.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad