SHL: Expressen: SHL's considering new format (NHL style)

svartgul

Hata Löven
May 9, 2007
Beyond the Infinite
www.northpower.nu
Entiae you're worrying about a scenario that has never really been a problem. There are a couple of Swedes in NLA, DEL, Liiga and a few other european leagues but mostly because they can't get a contract in SHL or if they are veterans that want to try living in another country before they retire. Losing players to the NHL and KHL is the only scenario worth discussing.

vorky: There are plenty of Swedes in smaller European leagues, there are even Swedes playing in non-hockey markets such as Japan, but these are players that is in no way a loss for the SHL since they aren't close to being good enough to play there.

Entiae

Flip That Bat!
Aug 2, 2011
If I know there are none swedish players in euro leagues.. only NHL, AHL, KHL. Maybe I missed one or two?

There are six in Switzerland, for example, and a couple more in Finland.

The situation right now isn't that terrible. But it could get worse, or better, in the future.

Entiae you're worrying about a scenario that has never really been a problem. There are a couple of Swedes in NLA, DEL, Liiga and a few other european leagues but mostly because they can't get a contract in SHL or if they are veterans that want to try living in another country before they retire. Losing players to the NHL and KHL is the only scenario worth discussing.

It's possible I'm worrying too much about players leaving.

But I still want the league to have more control. Some teams simply should be in the SHL, in my opinion. And I know there are a lot of people who would disagree with me, and that's fine. We don't all think alike.
But if teams in Hockeyallsvenskan have higher attendance numbers than some SHL teams, I think we have a problem.

Last edited:

Entiae

Flip That Bat!
Aug 2, 2011
Some markets should, teams has themselves to blame if they fail.

I see what you're saying, but does that really work though?
DIF didn't perform well enough and went down. But I do think not having them in the SHL hurts the league.

I don't know what the solution is. Let's say we lose HV71 or FBK too, what happens? HV71 are in the danger zone right now.

Last edited:

Jonimaus

Jul 15, 2011
Lund
I see what you're saying, but does that really work though?

Is SHL hurting that Malmö and Djurgården is playing in allsvenskan? Sure, and as much as I'd love to see Malmö play in SHL, I do not want this free ticket crap. I'd rather see us play in Allsvenskan for another 10 years.

I do not think that making Allsvenskan more or less irrelevant is a good thing. It could potentially make SHL better if we got all "worthy" hockey markets up there, but there's a great risk that we'd develop significantly less good players as a result, and may have to depend more on imports.

Our best players will always go to NHL, we can not get away from that. Many of our 2nd rate players are going to KHL, not all, but a bunch. Personally I think that's fine, and I also think it would take a lot more for us to really be in any danger of losing the rest of our 2nd rate players and even the 3rd rate to leagues like the switzerland one. We may lose a few, but we've got enough talent to lose some and still be more than fine.

I see your point, but I think you're thinking too much into it. We're fine as it is now, losing AIK (as they are in a bit of trouble) could be bad, having no Stockholm team in SHL, but I don't think it's big enough to make this change, not even close.

Kvalserien is amazing, and seriously gets almost as much media attention as the playoffs, I personally love it.

Entiae

Flip That Bat!
Aug 2, 2011
Is SHL hurting that Malmö and Djurgården is playing in allsvenskan? Sure, and as much as I'd love to see Malmö play in SHL, I do not want this free ticket crap. I'd rather see us play in Allsvenskan for another 10 years.

I do not think that making Allsvenskan more or less irrelevant is a good thing. It could potentially make SHL better if we got all "worthy" hockey markets up there, but there's a great risk that we'd develop significantly less good players as a result, and may have to depend more on imports.

Our best players will always go to NHL, we can not get away from that. Many of our 2nd rate players are going to KHL, not all, but a bunch. Personally I think that's fine, and I also think it would take a lot more for us to really be in any danger of losing the rest of our 2nd rate players and even the 3rd rate to leagues like the switzerland one. We may lose a few, but we've got enough talent to lose some and still be more than fine.

I see your point, but I think you're thinking too much into it. We're fine as it is now, losing AIK (as they are in a bit of trouble) could be bad, having no Stockholm team in SHL, but I don't think it's big enough to make this change, not even close.

Well put, I understand your view.

May I ask how you feel about an expansion, with no other (at least no major) changes?

Kvalserien is amazing, and seriously gets almost as much media attention as the playoffs, I personally love it.

Yeah, it's a lot of fun to watch, I won't disagree with that.

Last edited:

joe89

Apr 30, 2009

vorky: There are plenty of Swedes in smaller European leagues, there are even Swedes playing in non-hockey markets such as Japan, but these are players that is in no way a loss for the SHL since they aren't close to being good enough to play there.

I guess it's more about being proactive than reactive. I think this proposal is pushing it waaay to far, but I support the will to make adjustments before we have more European leagues on par or better. Never take things for granted.

I personally think that more teams in the SHL is long overdue. It's a nice thing to have a great tier 2 league with historic clubs playing in it, and I enjoy Allsvenskan plenty, but I'd rather have them gathered in the top division. I'd settle for 16, and keep kvalserien in some capacity.

Hockeyfrilla

Swe prospect fanatic
May 25, 2008
Sweden
moderna.jpg

:sarcasm:

icing

Jun 22, 2003
Sweden
When deal among SHL and federation expire? If I get it, this leaked document is about negotiations among federation and SHL, it is SHL´s point of view.. right?

The deal expires next year.

It is a proposal from the SHL that is leaked, and it was leaked by the federation. The federation felt that were faced by an ultimatum by SHL - accept all of the proposals or no deal. SHL says it is just a base for the discussions/negotioations, and not a "take it or leave it deal".

Entiae

Flip That Bat!
Aug 2, 2011
Most people seem to on board with an expansion.
If nothing else, we need to get an expansion out of all of this. That and an even number of games on the schedule. Every team should have as many homes games as away games. That should be a given.

How about 16 teams and 60 games? 4 against each.
If you go with 14 teams it gets a little trickier (I can't see them go lower than 55).

Last edited:

Entiae

Flip That Bat!
Aug 2, 2011
An open letter from the SHL:

SHL har avtal med Svenska Ishockeyförbundet om hur SHL:s verksamhet bedrivs i förhållande till förbundet. Innevarande avtal går ut sista april 2014 och förhandlingar om ett nytt avtal pågår och vi tänker fortsätta att förhandla.

I de förhandlingarna har SHL gemensamt tagit fram ett förslag, en bruttolista med punkter och områden som vi vill lyfta, utveckla och säkerställa för att bygga ett starkt, konkurrenskraftigt SHL. Ett förslag som samtliga SHL-klubbar ställer sig bakom. Det vi också vill är att utveckla svensk ishockey och förslag på hur det ska göras från SHL:s sida har framförts till Svenska Ishockeyförbundet, en utveckling av SHL och svensk ishockey. I dagsläget inväntar vi Svenska Ishockeyförbundets återspel på dessa punkter. Som talespersoner gällande SHL:s förhandling har styrelsen utsett SHL:s styrelseordförande Anders Hedin och Jörgen Lindgren, VD för SHL, vilka också ingår i SHL:s förhandlingsgrupp.

Bakgrunden till detta är att hockeykartan ritas om och utvecklingen inom hockeyn går snabbt. Bara de senaste åren har en stor utveckling skett inom flera delar. KHL och de Europeiska ligorna kommer att fortsätta att driva på utvecklingen, men vi vet att vi är starka och är dem som utvecklar och utbildar flest spelare på bäst sätt.

Det finns ett stort intresse för vår sport och liga. För första gången på många år såg vi en vikande trend på arenapubliken under förra säsongen. Förklaringarna till detta är naturligtvis flera, dock ser vi att det kräver mer och mer av oss för att attrahera publiken till arenorna.

Svensk ishockey är stark och framgångsrik. Det ser vi inte minst på det stora antal spelare som går bland annat till NHL. Vårt landslag Tre Kronor är regerande världsmästare. Den långsiktiga talangutvecklingen vi bedrivit i Sverige har visat sig framgångsrik. Vi har många unga spelare och starka profiler i SHL som vi vill bygga vidare på. Vi vill skapa en liga som är så stark och intressant att spelare väljer att stanna längre samt komma hem och avsluta sina karriärer här. Det här är vad vi vill - för våra supportrar.

Dagens modell med bland annat upp- och nerflyttning påverkar det sportsliga och det behövs skapas förutsättningar för att säkra att vi framöver behåller vår attraktionskraft. Naturligtvis har modellen även en påverkan på ekonomin - både på klubbar som satsar för att vara kvar ligan, men också för de klubbar som satsar på att gå upp i ligan. En långsiktighet och en hållbarhet för att klara det på ett trovärdigt sätt är ett måste! Vilket innebär att vi inte vill stänga ligan.

SHL och klubbarna omsätter idag över 1.6 miljarder kronor och den genomsnittliga omsättningen för en klubb är över 120 miljoner, men ändå gör vi ingen vinst. Vi tar ett mycket stort ansvar, klubben/föreningen, arenorna, spelarna, partners och personal. Klubbarna har gått från att vara ideella föreningar till medelstora företag med allt vad det innebär. Att i det läget inte ha full kontroll och påverkan över sin egen produkt är förödande. Ska SHL stå sig internationellt, attrahera och behålla de bästa spelarna samt säkra underhållningsvärdet för vår publik krävs en ökad tillväxt.

Vi har ökat vår omsättning mångfaldigt under de senaste 10 åren, naturligtvis är det möjligt att göra det igen. SHL-klubbarna vill ta ett fortsatt ansvar för den ishockeyverksamhet vi bedriver, från barn- och juniorverksamhet upp till representationslag. Som arbetsgivare, likväl för ideellt engagerade. Vi vill också fortsätta vara en viktig aktör för den ort och region vi verkar i. SHL-klubbarna vill också stödja sina distrikt för att fortsätta det viktiga arbetet med breddverksamhet.

Våra supportrar vill ha ett lag att vara stolta över, ett lag att känna med i framgång och motgång. Det krävs resurser för att investera i detta på ett hållbart sätt. För sporten och för alla hjärtan som brinner för svensk ishockey.

Anders Hedin, styrelseordförande SHL
Jörgen Lindgren, VD för SHL
Christer Mård, ordförande Linköping HC
Mike Helber, klubbdirektör Linköping HC
Curt Johansson, ordförande Luleå Hockey
Thor Stöckel, klubbdirektör Luleå Hockey
Hans-Göran Frick, ordförande HV71
Peter Eklund, klubbdirektör HV71
Jan-Erik Silverberg, ordförande Brynäs IF
Hans-Göran Karlsson, klubbdirektör Brynäs IF
Mats Grauers, ordförande Frölunda Indians
Anderz Larqvist,klubbdirektör Frölunda Indians
Michael Marchal, ordförande Växjö Lakers
Anders Öman, klubbdirektör Växjö Lakers
Odd Swarting, ordförande AIK Hockey
Peter Birath, klubbdirektör AIK Hockey
Pär Nordlund, ordförande Skellefteå AIK
Per-Anders Israelsson, klubbdirektör Skellefteå AIK
Sture Emanuelsson, ordförande Färjestad BK
Håkan Loob, klubbdirektör Färjestad BK
Sven Rosén, ordförande Leksands IF
Anders Doverskog, klubbdirektör Leksands IF
Tomas Byberg, ordförande MODO Hockey
Börje Lindholm, t f klubbdirektör MODO Hockey
Ulf Gejhammar, ordförande Örebro Hockey
Pontus Gustafsson, General manager Örebro Hockey

helax

General Hockey Fan
Apr 2, 2013

Google Translate ^_^

http://translate.google.se/translat...se/kvp/sport/percy-nilssons-hemliga-khl-mote/

SHL has an agreement with the Swedish Ice Hockey Association on how SHL 's operations are conducted in relation to the union. The current agreement expires end of April 2014, and negotiations for a new contract are ongoing and we will continue to negotiate.

In the negotiations, the SHL jointly developed a proposal , a gross list of points and areas we want to highlight , develop and secure to build a strong, competitive SHL . A proposal that all SHL clubs endorses. What we also want is to develop Swedish hockey and suggestions on how it should be done from SHL 's page has been sent to the Swedish Ice Hockey Association , a development of SHL and Swedish hockey . In the current situation we await Swedish Ice Hockey Association back games on these points. As spokespersons current SHL 's negotiating Board has appointed SHL 's Chairman Anders Hedin and Jörgen Lindgren, CEO of SHL , which are also part of SHL 's negotiating team.

The background to this is that the hockey map redraws and development in hockey 's fast. Only in recent years has been a major development occurred in several parts. KHL and the European leagues will continue to drive development , but we know that we are strong and those who develop and train the most players in the best way .

There is a great interest in our sport and league. For the first time in many years we saw a declining trend in the arena crowd during last season. The explanations for this are of course many , however , we see that it requires more and more of us to attract the audience to the stadiums.

Swedish ice hockey is strong and successful. We see this especially in the large number of players who go including the NHL . Our national team Tre Kronor is the reigning world champion. The long-term talent development we conducted in Sweden has proved successful . We have many young players and strong profiles in SHL that we want to build on. We want to create a league that is so strong and interesting to players choose to stay longer and come back home and finish their careers here. This is what we want - for our supporters .

Today's model including up and relegation affects the sporting and necessary conditions are created to ensure that in future we will maintain our attractiveness. Of course , the model has also an impact on the economy - both clubs who invest to remain the league, but also for the clubs that focus on gaining the league. A long-term approach and a durability to handle it in a credible way is a must! Which means we do not want to close the league.

SHL and clubs currently has a turnover of SEK 1.6 billion and the average turnover of a club is over 120 million , yet we make no profit . We take great responsibilities , the club / association, stadiums , players , partners and staff. The clubs have gone from being non-profit organizations to medium sized businesses with all that implies . That the state does not have full control and influence over their own product is devastating. Should SHL stand internationally , attract and retain the best players and secure entertainment value for our audience requires an increased growth.

We have increased our turnover by several times during the past 10 years , of course it's possible to do it again. SHL clubs want to maintain responsibility for the hockey operations we undertake , from children and youth squad up to representative team. As an employer , however, for non-profit dedicated. We also want to continue to be a key player for the city and region we operate in. SHL clubs also want to support their districts to continue the important work of width operations.

Our supporters want a team to be proud of, a team feel with the success and adversity. Resources are needed to invest in this in a sustainable way . For sport and for all hearts that burn for Swedish hockey .

robwangjing

Jul 10, 2013
Beijing
Jussi, your Finnish league is a closed league but I don't know if the other changes proposed by the SHL is same in the Liiga.

But what do you think of this, is this good or bad for SHL? Do you think SHL should be open or closed? Or difficult to say?

I think it looks good, especially 14 teams instead of 12. Also I like the wild-card idea and more strict budgets so the level of play can be better/stable.

I would also have liked some kind of option for Danish and Norwegian top teams to join the SHL. How? I don't know. But the wild-card idea gives one opening.

Could expand to 16 teams, two from Allsvenskan and one each from Norway and Denmark next season. Change the name to Scandinavian HL. :nod:

Teus

Oct 5, 2003
Lund
Visit site
Percy Nilsson, who is the owner of Malmö Arena (host for the World Jrs this year), is looking at different options as he needs a team in the arena that brings in big crowds. The ideal situation for him would be Malmö Redhawks in the SEL, but he's also open to the idea of a Malmö team in the KHL and has been discussing with KHL representatives.

Keep in mind that, while he has strong ties with Malmö Redhawks, he isn't on the board or anything like that nowadays. So he's looking at this from the arena perspective completely.

Sent it through Google Translate and cleaned it up a bit:
Percy Nilsson's secret KHL meeting

The idea of ​​a KHL team in Malmo lives on.
Kvällsposten can report that arena owner Percy Nilsson has met with representatives of the KHL this the week - and hope the discussions will become a reality, that a team will be built with Swedish star players.
- As I have discussed you should have a majority of Swedish players in the club, then you get a local connection, says Percy Nilsson.

KHL expands to the west. It is already confirmed that the Finnish epic Jokerit Helsinki to play in the cash-rich league from the 2014-15 season and onwards.
No Swedish teams have joined - yet. But in the fall of 2009, AIK was invitation to the KHL and they accepted.
That time, the Swedish Ice Hockey Association put a stop to it.
According to Aftonbladet's sources, Malmö Redhawks were contacted by KHL last summer, but this was denied Redhawks chairman Tommy Qvartoft.
- It is the local rivalry that makes people go to hockey. Who would be interested to go and see some team from Vladivostok, said Qvartoft to Kvällsposten back then.

Met last week

But the KHL interest of Malmo lives on. According Kvällsposten's sources, Percy Nilsson met KHL representatives as late as this week to discuss a team in Malmö in the future.
- Yes, that may well be right, perhaps, says Percy Nilsson.
- They are a part of the hockey world/community, so of course you are talking to them like you talk to everyone else.
Was it more an informal contact rather than Malmö in some way taking a spot in the KHL?
- Of course we are discussing that, but there is nothing concrete. I more that it seems and looks. Perhaps there are offers of different possibilities and it comes down to choosing what is best for Malmö.
Earlier this year, the talk was about the KHL wanting to get the Redhawks to join in the 2014-14 season. Is that what is on the table now?
- Some more negotiations should be continuing during the World Championships, so maybe there will be some discussions then.

"Then you get to choose sides"

Percy Nilsson points out that it was as the role of arena owner, that he met the KHL. How Malmö Redhawks agree to a possible participation in the KHL is up to the board members and the members of the club.
- However, if one looks at the arena, it had of course been fun if it was a team called Malmö Redhawks or something that would play in the SHL or KHL.
How do you look at the Malmö and the KHL?
- I want to see Malmö in a good league, if it is the SHL or KHL I do not know. But I think it's very important if it becomes the KHL, that it is Swedish player who plays on the team. Not just a bunch of foreign players.
It is important to maintain a local connection?
- Yes, I think the absolute best for Malmö would have been if they were in the SHL and had a farm team that played somewhere else so that you could bring in players that way.
How would a KHL collaboration work in this case?
- Yes, but then you have to choose sides. But Malmö is an appropriate team, which is well located with flight connections. And it is perhaps more enjoyable for Swedish players to play in a Swedish team in the KHL rather than in Magnitogorsk and whatever the cities are called over there in the big world. Then you would probably be able to put together a competitive team for that league.

"It is probably fifty-fifty"

When the KHL is discussed, the usual problem is how to attract the crowds to matches against teams who people haven't heard of. But Percy Nilsson does not see that as an obstacle.
- As I have discussed, you should have a majority of Swedish players in the club, so you get a local connection. I think that is important, if you want to gain an understanding. And then of course there are good games, the good opponents will be good and if the home team is good the audience will come. It is entertainment people want to see these days.
Percy Nilsson says that it is not a new idea, instead it is discussions that have existed for years.
How concrete do you assess that their interest is?
- It is probably fifty-fifty. There are a lot of things discussed between the clubs. I'm talking of course from the arena perspective and not the club (Redhawks) itself. We'll see, there are discussions in progress and we'll see where they end up.
- But with Helsinki and Jokerit entering, you get closer. Some sort of European League is happening. The SHL will have to become stronger, if they want to compete against that. From my view, a good solution in the SHL worth as much as the KHL, maybe more.
If Malmö goes over to the KHL, would you sponsor with more money then?
- No, I did not intend to sponsor. I want it the proposal that is best for the arena, I have to look at it from that perspective. Like I said, there are other people that control Malmö Redhawks.
How likely do you think it that Malmö would be in the KHL in a couple of years?
- If nothing happens now, pretty soon, it is pretty big risk that they'll be there in a few years. It's probably a breakpoint now I think.
What are you thinking about then?
- They need to find something new in the SHL. It is not good as it is now, there is a decline in attendance. You have to talk with them yourself. I positive to both parts as arena owner.
You are monitoring the terrain?
- Yes, I must do, it is in my interest.
- But I would like to see a good solution with the SHL. That is number 1.

Last edited:

Entiae

Flip That Bat!
Aug 2, 2011
I haven't been to a game in the arena yet but I've heard pretty much nothing but good things about it. I'd rather have it belong to an SHL team but the arena is Percy's. Can't blame him for doing what's best for him. We'll see what happens, the SHL situation has to be resolved before too long.

Last edited:

Yabob

Dec 12, 2006
Linköping
Since when do you have to play in SEL to be good at developing youngsters? If these "thousands of kids" in Stockholm stay and develop with their local teams, those clubs should have a good shot at reaching the SEL again. (In my opinion what you're describing is just BS entitlement.)

AIK had less in attendance during their last year in Allsvenskan than Karlskrona and Karlskoga have now. Örebro have gone from Division 1 and 1000 in attandance to SEL and 5100 in attendance in just 5 years. Malmö had less than 4k in attendance last time they were in SEL. And so on.
Skellefteå were near bankruptcy in 1997, slowly built their organization and is now the third/fourth wealthiest team in Sweden. Do you think they're a disaster to the development of swedish icehockey?
The size of an arena have zero impact on the competitiveness of a league.

Actually the size of the arena is very important. If the arena is too small you won't be able to bring in the spectators needed to support the team financially. Also looking at actual attendence numbers isn't really relevant in this regard. Sure the number of people who actually show up at the games and buy tickets is the telling factor for actual income. But if the capacity is too low you won't be able to sell enough tickets to survive at that level in the long run.

That's the reason we already have rules for how small your arena can be in the different leagues. If you play in the SHL you must have an event arena with room for at least 4 000 spectators.

That means that, for example, should a team like Karlskrona get promoted they would have to find a way to get an additional 600 people into their arena. Or imagine of Asplöven got promoted... they have an arena for 1 200 spectators.

SurMartin

Jul 26, 2010
København/Skellefteå
That's the reason we already have rules for how small your arena can be in the different leagues. If you play in the SHL you must have an event arena with room for at least 4 000 spectators.
That means that, for example, should a team like Karlskrona get promoted they would have to find a way to get an additional 600 people into their arena. Or imagine of Asplöven got promoted... they have an arena for 1 200 spectators.
That's why I said it has no impact, there's already a rule for that and everytime we've gotten a newcomer in SEL they have built/rebuilt if they had to.
Asplöven had a 1000 spectators less in Division 1 two seasons ago, if they actually started playing well and went on the same journey as Örebro, what's to say they couldn't also get 4000 more in attendance and funds/sponsors to build a new arena?
Still, I thought we'd all learned by now that having a big arena doesn't automatically mean you'll have many spectators or that many spectators means that you'll automatically have a good economy and/or a competitive team.
Youngsters go where the money and opportunity is. Only a handful of teams outside of the SHL have that type of attraction. How did SAIK do pre-Elitserien?
Youngsters used to go where they thought they'd both thrive and feel at home. Most of Skellefteås youngsters grew up watching the team play in Allsvenskan and still decided to stay there. Like Leksand.
However, I know that 9 players on this year's WJC team come from the greater Stockholm area(potentially 11 if you count Hägg/Forsberg from Uppland). That's effectively almost half the team. And I also know that only two of these players still remain in Stockholm, both with DIF. Those are the hard facts.

You're only thinking in the ways of the men's team. I could care less how DIF and AIK do. But I do care about their existence for the sake of our national team(s).
I'm just thinking like someone who practically grew up in Lappland where everyone either moves or quits. I won't bring out a tissue and cry over the minor chance that Stockholm will get a slice of the same problem. They still have, what, 8? professional hockeyteams within a 200km radius. If the players want to move or quit rather than play there, then there's either something wrong with the clubs or with the kids (or rather the career driven society).
Giving clubs in Stockholm a freecard because they have more inhabitants and therefore potential hockeyplayers is just ridiculous.

Last edited:

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Youngsters used to go where they thought they'd both thrive and feel at home. Most of Skellefteås youngsters grew up watching the team play in Allsvenskan and still decided to stay there. Like Leksand.

I'm just thinking like someone who practically grew up in Lappland where everyone either moves or quits. I won't bring out a tissue and cry over the minor chance that Stockholm will get a slice of the same problem. They still have, what, 8? professional hockeyteams within a 200km radius. If the players want to move or quit rather than play there, then there's either something wrong with the clubs or with the kids (or rather the career driven society).
Giving clubs in Stockholm a freecard because they have more inhabitants and therefore potential hockeyplayers is just ridiculous.

I'm literally coming at this subject from the other side. I respect that, but I couldn't have a more different view. I truly believe that Swedish hockey suffers long term in both talent pool and popularity without Stockholm being a major player. If that ever happens to the hockey in Gothenburg, I'll start to worry about hem too. If that's against jante, fine by me.

Teus

Oct 5, 2003
Lund
Visit site
MrMadhawk's proposal: http://bloggar.expressen.se/mrmadhawk/2013/12/22/mitt-shl-forslag/

In short:

*16 teams
*Teams 1-4 in SHL straight to the quarterfinal, while teams 5-12 compete for last 4 spots.
*Teams 15-16 in SHL face off against teams 1-2 in HA in a playoff. The winner plays in SHL next season, while losers go to Second Chance.
*Teams 3-6 in HA face off against each other in a playoff. The winner goes to Second Chance.
*The 4 teams in Second Chance compete for the final spot in the SHL.

I kind of like it. It adds some more friction to the promoting/relegation with the Second Chance, which is one of the key things from the prospal by the SHL, but still means we could see some surprising teams in the SHL like we do now.

I also think it's time to add more teams to the SHL. Spread the TV money out more to further encourage the great depth we have in Swedish hockey at the moment. Remember a few years ago when there were teams in the top half of HA that publicly said they didn't want to get promoted to the SHL? Now we have second league with players going straight from that league and into the NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad