Explosive skating

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
good for you boss. By the way if you're squatting a plate on each side you're doing fine for just starting out.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Thanks man I gotta keep my head up though otherwise my career at that level wont last long.

I've squatted up to 40 lbs on each side so far, gonna try a plate by Thursday/Friday.

Thesensation19*

Its nice to do squats and all. But you got to remember that your not training to squat. Your training to be more explosive. Get out of the weight room and start doing sprints. Even better, do hills and ideally hills with sand/dirt.

Add in stairs. Do some plyometrics.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Already feel some results after squatting 40 lbs as a maximum. Do you guys think the progression will continue to be as linear? I'm wondering if when I reach 2 plates how much my explosiveness will have improved... That much? I'm gonna try a plate tomorrow.

sanityplease

Jun 21, 2011
Already feel some results after squatting 40 lbs as a maximum. Do you guys think the progression will continue to be as linear? I'm wondering if when I reach 2 plates how much my explosiveness will have improved... That much? I'm gonna try a plate tomorrow.

Your progression will be very linear, since that's how your program is basically structured. Make sure you recover fully before games/practices. On ice performance is the priority during the season.

sanityplease

Jun 21, 2011
Its nice to do squats and all. But you got to remember that your not training to squat. Your training to be more explosive. Get out of the weight room and start doing sprints. Even better, do hills and ideally hills with sand/dirt.

Keep in mind he/she's on the ice 3 times a week.

Thesensation19*

Keep in mind he/she's on the ice 3 times a week.

When I train for a sport, I want to give it my all. Every day, in and out, trying to manage every part of my life. Sounds groomy, but honestly I love it. Thats basically my lifestyle even not for a specified sport.

Just because hes doing 3x of skating a week, doesnt mean he has no time to work out. His workouts should be practice to make him ready for game day. Its like studying for a test. You want to be overprepared, ready for anything and looking at everything possible so you have no regrets. You basically got to work out like an animal. On and off the ice.

You should aim to be the best you can be. Basically, aim to be the best out there.

Look at the professionals. And many of you might claim "but there professionals, hes not a professional"... okay so then look at those same pros and research what they use to do before they became a professional. In any sport.

- Jaromir Jagr worked on a farm while playing for a junior team. He decided if he wanted to be a professional he had to work harder. He started working out by 15 and was doing 1000 squats a day. As far as a I know, he was doing that up until he was in the NHL and probably even more so. He entered the NHL and now look at his routine. He works out every day

- Sidney Crosby hired a professional trainer at 13 years old. Since then, he has never missed a training session.

- Chara use to work with his dad while going to school and while playing for a hometown team. In between all of that. He was being trained by his father. Doing hundreds of pull ups a day. Weight lifting and wrestling. Now during his off-seasons he does long European tours with hiking and mountain biking.

Be on the ice as often as possible.
Work out like a monster

But the harder you work. the more you should focus on hydration, nutrition and recovery. Look into yoga, medittation, massages.
Look into different foods for more energy and better recovery. Drink more water and have more fruit and veggies.
Saunas. Maybe something none of has has thought about.

Attack your body. Recover,

It is better to feel strong and tired, then weak and relaxed

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Went up to 50 lbs on each side today! I think that's 145 lbs total (not sure)...

Other then that I'm getting the technique but I have this dilemma. Some people have told me it doesn't matter if you have semi duck feet when you squat, and others have told me you should just curve your feet a bit outwards but not too much.

I naturally tend to kinda get duck feet when I go down, I'm wondering if that matters or not. I've seen other guys at the gym squatting more than me do it and others that don't too....

Maupin Fan

Hot Air
Sep 17, 2009
When I train for a sport, I want to give it my all. Every day, in and out, trying to manage every part of my life. Sounds groomy, but honestly I love it. Thats basically my lifestyle even not for a specified sport.

Just because hes doing 3x of skating a week, doesnt mean he has no time to work out. His workouts should be practice to make him ready for game day. Its like studying for a test. You want to be overprepared, ready for anything and looking at everything possible so you have no regrets. You basically got to work out like an animal. On and off the ice.

You should aim to be the best you can be. Basically, aim to be the best out there.

Look at the professionals. And many of you might claim "but there professionals, hes not a professional"... okay so then look at those same pros and research what they use to do before they became a professional. In any sport.

- Jaromir Jagr worked on a farm while playing for a junior team. He decided if he wanted to be a professional he had to work harder. He started working out by 15 and was doing 1000 squats a day. As far as a I know, he was doing that up until he was in the NHL and probably even more so. He entered the NHL and now look at his routine. He works out every day

- Sidney Crosby hired a professional trainer at 13 years old. Since then, he has never missed a training session.

- Chara use to work with his dad while going to school and while playing for a hometown team. In between all of that. He was being trained by his father. Doing hundreds of pull ups a day. Weight lifting and wrestling. Now during his off-seasons he does long European tours with hiking and mountain biking.

Work out like a monster

But the harder you work. the more you should focus on hydration, nutrition and recovery. Look into yoga, medittation, massages.
Look into different foods for more energy and better recovery. Drink more water and have more fruit and veggies.

What are the Cliffs Notes for this post?

Did not read

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012
Down slow, up fast. Get the reps in, games are not 5 minutes long. Explosiveness is nothing without endurance.

Fanned On It

Dec 20, 2011
New York

Work out like a monster

Superfluous in my mind. The kid didn't say he needed spiritual work... just physical. If he's working out hard and already has a good mind-set, I don't see why he needs to do yoga or meditate. Massages maybe, but that's a little serious for a kid in his position, no?

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
How to be stronger on my skates? Had an exhibition game and got knocked pretty easy when I wasn't braced. Once I was skating normally and just bumped into someone and fell... I was sick that day and legs were still sore from squatting two days before but still. Tips?

sanityplease

Jun 21, 2011
How to be stronger on my skates? Had an exhibition game and got knocked pretty easy when I wasn't braced. Once I was skating normally and just bumped into someone and fell... I was sick that day and legs were still sore from squatting two days before but still. Tips?

Wider, lower stance. & make sure you're recovered from working out when you're playing. Huge no-no to burn yourself out in the gym then let your game suffer.

PS12

Jun 28, 2013

Need a stronger core. Need better balance.

Core and start trying pistol squats as well. See how many pistol squats you can do without any weights.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006

Just a note on plyometrics(and I'm not trying to dissuade anyone, because they work)... try to make sure you come down light, and make sure your shoes have proper cushioning. It's hard on your joints, and it's important to have proper form do you don't injure yourself.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Went up to 65 lbs on each side today. I'm kinda surprised how easily I'm upping the weights every time I squat. Gonna try doing 70 pounds next time(plate + 25 on each side).

Season is gonna start full force in a week or two though. I'm guessing when that happens I'll have to limit squatting to once a week? And the furthest possible from a game... I'm thinking of doing it two days before a practice, or a day before depending on how much free time I have. I wanna get to squatting 2 plates on each side before I take a break from squatting(if I do... don't really want to).

I feel like when I start doing 2 plates, my explosiveness will be much much better. Remains to be seen, it's what I'm hoping for that's for sure. If I get that extra gear(I'm flirting with it I think for now), my game will be really different.

Should I start leg pressing any time soon? Like that I have 2 exercises for legs... Let's say when I get to doing 2 plates squatting on each side, should I start adding leg press? I already feel less sore than when I first started out, despite lifting much heavier weights. That's normal though I guess.

PS12

Jun 28, 2013
You probably have your mind made up to do leg presses.

How much time when youre skating do you balance on one leg vs two.

How well are you balanced on one leg?

How many pistol squats can you do without any weights? Lets see how strong your legs are. :D

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
Started doing squats again this week... Jesus and all that is holy in this world... But once I turn into a quadzilla I won't be complaining :laugh:

Regarding sprints and explosiveness, I find that doing sprints up steep hills with mud/dirt as someone said helps a lot because it builds you up and helps endurance. having a good core definitely helps too.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
You should look into bulgarian split squats. I feel like they've got a range of motion better suited to skating than traditional squats.

jorbjorb

hello.
Dec 28, 2010
either you got it or you don't.

you need to go back in time when you were 8 or 9 and learn the fundamentals.

tons of conditioning and skating drills

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad