Explosive skating

sanityplease

Jun 21, 2011
Got to squatting 30 lbs now. Not bad? I already feel more explosive. Played only once the past week and a half but even when I walk I feel more explosive and my legs killed me each time I squatted.

I think when I get to squatting a plate is when I'll see big results on the ice?

Develop great technique while you're working with that level of weight. Then start really pushing yourself. FYI many (if not most of them) NHLers routinely squat 300-400 lbs, some of them aren't that much older than you.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Guys you don't get it. I've been playing hockey since I was 12-13 pretty intensely and have always always eaten much protein(food, milk, wtv) after every hockey related thing I did. My muscle memory is excellent for this sport.

I know 30 lbs isn't a lot... I see so many guys at the gym do like 2 plates. But my legs aren't small, far from, and I know I can get to doing in a plate in less than three weeks (that's a guarantee BTW guys)

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Also, when I say 30 lbs, I mean on EACH SIDE. That might have been a misunderstanding... So 60 lbs total.

EDIT: Apparently 105 lbs from what Sean Garrity said. The bar weights that much?

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
I imagine, and hope, he was talking about 30lb weights...on each side...meaning 105lbs. Even saying that, you should be lifting a far greater weight at the age of 19. To increase strength, I would recommend only doing 5 reps at the highest weight possible you can get to. Continue to increase the weight every workout, you're young enough where you should be able to do so. I'm not talking an extreme increase in weight, but increasing your highest weight by 5 lbs every lifting session should be quite easy until you plateau.

This is correct and thanks for the tip I'll try that and let you know

Fanned On It

Dec 20, 2011
New York
Guys you don't get it. I've been playing hockey since I was 12-13 pretty intensely and have always always eaten much protein(food, milk, wtv) after every hockey related thing I did. My muscle memory is excellent for this sport.

I know 30 lbs isn't a lot... I see so many guys at the gym do like 2 plates. But my legs aren't small, far from, and I know I can get to doing in a plate in less than three weeks (that's a guarantee BTW guys)

You seem young by the way you talk, how old are you?

SpringfieldSkins

Jan 28, 2010
Springfield, VA
The bar is 45 lbs.

Squatting double your body weight is what I always thought was a good goal.

With all this talk of muscle strength I'm surprised there isn't more talk of technique.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
I'm getting the hang of the technique. At first my feet would open like duck feet, but it's getting better.

Other then that, I'm up to 35 lbs on each side and will probably try 40 on Thursday(the day after tryouts).

Thesensation19*

Hey, I thought I replied to your Private Message but I got no reply back from you. I tried to send you another one, to finish off what I was saying but it said your inbox was full? Idk... anyway whatever the reason was for no response the conclusion of what I was saying still holds true.

You told me your basic schedule today consists of
1) An Isolated Routine- One day you do Chest and whatever and the next day you do the other muscle and the next day you do the other.
2) No Leg day- For some reason 90% of your routine was all legs and you admitted saying it was because hockey skating and practices will cover the legs.

Well, I am sorry but I cannot agree to any of this for hockey training or most sport training what so ever.

I mean first lets get to the immediate point at #2. No leg days? Every sport involves legs, yet every elite athlete still has a self routine that consists of a LOTTTT of leg exercises. Especially hockey players. Hockey movements simply can only take your leg strengths and flexibility so far. Doing other movements such as weight lifting, running, sprinting, other sports can target other important areas that you may not notice to be important at all.

The legs are the most important piece of your body in hockey. The best players are the most conditioned especially in the legs and you should focus a lot of your weekly routine in training them. Off and on ice, in and off season.

#1. Workout however you like. Its important that your just always working hard on your body and mind and I am glad your focused on something. But I try my best to show the importance of a full body routine over isolated work outs.

Try your best to focus on REAL Olympic Weight Lifting training. Real Plyometric work outs. Workouts that involve multiple joints and multiple muscles.

Having a whole day for your shoulders and a whole day for your biceps seems pointless to me especially as a hockey player.

That is why I said to look into Cross fit style of training and living. Even if you dont join their gyms, they have free videos and free internet guides for all to see and you can take a lot from them. If not crossfit, look into bootcamps or total body fitness stuff.

train like an animal. Meaning, never leave the gym or your work out regretting a single lift. Always break barriers and limits

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Your presumptions are false because I started squatting two weeks ago so I'm working my legs now and I already feel more explosive as a result.

Other then that, I don't do isolated workouts. I always work two muscles during my workouts. Biceps/Triceps on one day, Chest/Back on another day, and Shoulders + Legs(just recently) on another.

I'm only doing one leg exercise for now because it's the best one for hockey(IMO, and others seem to think so as well) and because I just started working my legs. Eventually, when I can do like two plates squatting or something, I'll probably start leg pressing as well.

vapor11

Aug 15, 2011
Found my new favorite machine tucked away in the corner upstairs at my college gym last night..

2yug8oy.jpg

A low budget version of one of these..doesn't replicate the full stride only up and down but feeling the burn a bit today..I went pretty hard back and forth for a good hour or so between this and another machine right next to it that was called a joystick that had a bar and 3 resistance shocks at the bottom that I was working my core/upper body on by holding it and doing rotations.. gotta get ready for pickup hockey :)

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Did 40 lbs on each side today.... Gonna go for a plate on Monday or Tuesday(I have my last tryout/game on Sunday).

Thesensation19*

Your presumptions are false because I started squatting two weeks ago so I'm working my legs now and I already feel more explosive as a result.

Other then that, I don't do isolated workouts. I always work two muscles during my workouts. Biceps/Triceps on one day, Chest/Back on another day, and Shoulders + Legs(just recently) on another.

I'm only doing one leg exercise for now because it's the best one for hockey(IMO, and others seem to think so as well) and because I just started working my legs. Eventually, when I can do like two plates squatting or something, I'll probably start leg pressing as well.

My presumption of you not doing leg day lies within my private messages of you clearly saying I dont do legs lol. And I am glad you are doing that. Squats, snatches, lunges and clean and jerks are all basic necessary work outs with weights.

And as I was about to write about start doing 1 leg exercises, I continued reading your post lol. Good stuff. Look up Adrian Peterson work out btw. That is a guy who is ridiculously explosive and fast. Yet I mention him because of his work ethic. Hes not a guy who says Im gonna do 3 sets of 10 reps of so and so weights and then next exercise. He will literally sit there doing 1 leg squats of increasing and decreasing weights until his legs are pumped up to the max. And it has nothing to do with HOW MUCH WEIGHT. He clearly states that he did 700lbs max in college for squat. Now he likes to do 400lbs because he can do more reps and its more important in this matter.

As far as the isolated workouts go. I would suggest you go to the gym and do 2 big work outs (ex. Squat, deadlift, bench, snatch, jerks etc) and then after that you can do anything and everything you want. Do more research on your own for full body over isolated especially in terms of hockey training. You wont see the best hockey players going to the gym and splitting their routines into biceps and shoulders or whatever. It doesnt pay for us. Were hockey players. We use our whole body, so train our whole body as one. Be functional. But whatever, do what you wish

Thesensation19*

Technique is the most important part.

Couldnt be said any better myself.
Look at Matt Duchene. Guy said it himself after he started to workout with Sidney Crosby.

He use to work out. But he was doing it all wrong.

Now instead of doing heavy squats, even though he could, he decides to go lighter and do more reps and focus on the right form. Less weight allows you to go lower and flex more. So your doing it better for your health and you actually activate more muscles.

Thesensation19*

Did 40 lbs on each side today.... Gonna go for a plate on Monday or Tuesday(I have my last tryout/game on Sunday).

idk what you mean. So one day you did 30. and Now you did 40. Okay?
How many did you do?

If you tell me you did 3 sets of 10 reps im gonna laugh.

I just did 1 leg squats yesterday. This is what I did (note I only had an hour and I did real squats the day before)

500 meter row (2.10 minutes)
Dynamic Stretches for 10 minutes
Bench Press
-Light weight (12x), medium weight (8x), heavy weight (4-6x). I did that 3x in total. I even added some in between weights for whatever I could do. And added in some extra push ups here and there. Without the extra stuff I did 72 presses. Felt real good and finished off with just the bar and did 20 more.

I then did some one leg squats. Each leg I did similar fashion
Light (10), Medium (7), Heavy (4) I did that twice but admit that the second time I did less heavy and more light and finished with 20 body weight squats

I did 3 sets of 10 dips
I did 3 sets of maxed out pull ups

I then finished off with biceps. I barely do them but I figured why not. Trying to do more in my fitness.
I did sets of decreasing reps meaning I did 10 reps in first round, 8 reps in 2nd, 6, 4, 2.
Each round I would pick up 10lbs, 15lbs, 20lbs and 25lbs and do those reps as said above. I even added in some hammer reps and tried to do 30 lbs maxed out twice.

I did a nice stretch after that and had to leave. Wish I could have done more.

Not to brag. But thats a proper work out. I hope you do or will do something similar. Where you mix in everything and you attack your body as if you were an animal.

This is not my ideal work out. Best days I start my weights with squats and then deadlifts same fashion as said above. Then add in the isolated work outs

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
I did 4 sets, not many reps because my legs are still getting used to squatting and I'm still perfecting the technique.

First set: 8 X 35 lbs on each side
Second set: same
Third set: 6 X 40 lbs on each side
Fourth set: same

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
squats are good to build a foundation of strength, but you are gonna need some more dynamic exercises to develop actual explosive power.

depth jumps, romanian deadlifts, sled push, regular sprints etc

Sean Garrity

Quack Quack Quack!
Dec 25, 2007
Dee Eff UU
squats are good to build a foundation of strength, but you are gonna need some more dynamic exercises to develop actual explosive power.

Yup, just think of anything that requires you to explode. Add those to your squat foundation and you will garner some quality results.

vapor11

Aug 15, 2011
33da2ph.jpg

This is the machine I was speaking of.. The joystick in the back has a rubber grip further up.. I did a circuit earlier with a another 2 not pictured but same idea with resistance training that is somewhat of a squat.. You hold the handles and go low and bring it up with your body explosively .. The other you stand on a platform with pads on your shoulders somewhat of same idea.. Go low and up

Kept the pace up.. Few walking breaks.. Didn't keep track of time.. Got the sweat pouring.. Closest thing to a full body workout I have done.. Focusing more on conditioning

For the record I usually avoid machines but I found these upstairs when the downstairs gym area was too busy

Thesensation19*

I did 4 sets, not many reps because my legs are still getting used to squatting and I'm still perfecting the technique.

First set: 8 X 35 lbs on each side
Second set: same
Third set: 6 X 40 lbs on each side
Fourth set: same

I dont know. If you really want to see results why dont you do this.

1st- No bar. 10x deep squats.
2nd- bar (45lbs)- 10x deep squats
3rd- bar+25lbs ea. - 8-10x
4th- Bar+35lbs ea. - 8x
5th-Bar+45lbs ea. - 4-6x
6th- repeat to max.

Then go reverse. go back down to 35lbs or 30lbs. next set do 20-25lbs. Next set do 10lbs. Next set just bar. Next set do the bar again.

In between sets. Mix up between jump rope, push ups, body weight squats, high jumps and kicks. Do crossovers stationary and high knees.

Then thats one work out. A good one.

Then move onto something else. If your legs are still getting use to the work load, switch over to bench.

But a full body work out isnt just going to the gym and doing a lot of differ workouts. Its doing the work outs that involve multiple joints and muscles at once. Squats are great. Change up 2 days from now and do it again but this time do front squats.

Squatting is a basic movement. Its called- Sitting down and getting up from seated position. So there is no reason for your to still get the right form down. if your not using the right form after a day or two practicing, then I blame the weight your using. I would suggest you stick to the low weights but MOREEEE REPS. Make your legs killllll. Not just sore or tight. Make them pump!

Thesensation19*

Definately. Squats are just the basics to form that explosion upwards and that control downwards.

Deadlifts too.

But your right, you need to actually perform jumps to get better at exploding.

Quick steps, ladders, sprints and a lot of HILLS! With sand

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Made the Junior AA team... I got nailed like 5 times today during the practice + end of game scrimmage... I kinda play with my head down. It works for me, but d-men really pay attention to that and capitalize. Especially in the hick town I'm playing in.

Gotta start keeping my head up ASAP... Otherwise I'm ****ed.

Fanned On It

Dec 20, 2011
New York
Made the Junior AA team... I got nailed like 5 times today during the practice + end of game scrimmage... I kinda play with my head down. It works for me, but d-men really pay attention to that and capitalize. Especially in the hick town I'm playing in.

Gotta start keeping my head up ASAP... Otherwise I'm ****ed.

What hick town is that?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad