Explain this call (penalty during a called back off-side)

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Probably because there isn't a rule specifically saying that he wouldn't have to serve the penalty. I imagine that will be a rule change going forward.

because overturning a goal doesnt erase time/what happens in between the zone entry and the goal.

when a goal gets overturned, its not like they go and reset the game clock to when the offsides occurred.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
From what I've gathered, the OPs logic is that a player can two hand someone in the mouth and get off clean if there was an offside play that lead to a goal. I disagree.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
From what I've gathered, the OPs logic is that a player can two hand someone in the mouth and get off clean if there was an offside play that lead to a goal. I disagree.
There should at least be some discretion, no? The call was a minor slash that would not have occurred if the correct call was made by the linesman. Why should a team be punished for a linesman's mistake. Also bravo, way to infer.

Reactions: egelband

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
In today's Panthers-Sabres game, Eichel scored but Buffalo was way offside and the goal was overturned. But after the zone entry but before the goal was scored, Yandle took a penalty and after the successful challenge still had to serve the penalty. If the play was offside why did the penalty still count?

So your belief is if you know the play is offside you should slash somebody with a 2 hander then let that team score? :P

danyhabsfan

Feb 12, 2007
Montreal
What happen if a player who is offside is tripped on a breakaway and still scores.

The referee was going to call a penalty shot but he scored. On review it was determined that the play was offside.

Does the player get the penalty shot?

Pretty idiot rule.

Reactions: Nico Hischier

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
There should at least be some discretion, no? The call was a minor slash that would not have occurred if the correct call was made by the linesman. Why should a team be punished for a linesman's mistake. Also bravo, way to infer.
Because slashing is against the rules. Don't want a penalty, don't slash someone. So your stance is that the ref should just decide if the penalty should stand or not? Based on what?

Roomtemperature

Apr 8, 2008
New Jersey
I think they should have some infractions which aren't the dangerous kind like a hook, hold, too many men etc... labeled as something that goes away during replayed time. Have anything like a crosscheck, board or slash as a safety penalty and thus enforced

Reactions: egelband

HolyGhost

May 6, 2016
Buffalo
In today's Panthers-Sabres game, Eichel scored but Buffalo was way offside and the goal was overturned. But after the zone entry but before the goal was scored, Yandle took a penalty and after the successful challenge still had to serve the penalty. If the play was offside why did the penalty still count?

Because the penalty stands regardless of the play being over turned.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
So if a player 2 handed someone in the face with his stick during this play...you're telling me it should go unpenalized? C'on guys, lets use some common sense before posting.

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
Because it would lead to players taking liberties if they knew the play was offside and they couldn't be penalized.
If someone sucker punches a player after the whistle, is it not a penalty because the play was blown dead?

This. Any off-sides the other team would start taking runs at players.

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
The Sabres lost a challenge on literally the exact same play to Vancouver earlier in the season.
feel free to post it because I'm curious to see it, but in no way did Eichel have possession as he crossed the blue line last night.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
like the link says. the sabres got the short end of that one. awful call. yesterdays was even more obvious imo.

Maybe, but the NHL sent out an explanation saying how it was the right call. And if you followed the explanation the NHL gave for that call, Eichel’s goal would’ve counted. The point is that it’s subjective and inconsistent, and the replay challenge is an awful rule.

Novak Djokovic

#24 and counting... #GOAT
Dec 10, 2006
It has been this way for years and years and years, definitely not something new. Should it be changed? I don't think so.

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
Maybe, but the NHL sent out an explanation saying how it was the right call.
NHL sends out BS explanations all the time. Panthers have had goals count against them, then have the same thing happen the next week and have it waived off.

The point is that it’s subjective and inconsistent
absolutely.
and the replay challenge is an awful rule
false. I'll take the current situation over having goals like this count.

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
Rule 78.7 (i), Note 4: If one or more penalties (major or minor) are assessed between the time of the 'Off-side' play and the video review that disallows the apparent goal, the offending team(s) (and responsible Player(s)) will still be required to serve the penalty(ies) identified and assessed, and the time of the penalty(ies) will be recorded as the time at which the play should have been stopped for the 'Off-side' infraction.

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
because overturning a goal doesnt erase time/what happens in between the zone entry and the goal.

when a goal gets overturned, its not like they go and reset the game clock to when the offsides occurred.

That's actually exactly what happens.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad