Explain this call (penalty during a called back off-side)

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
Hey, you OK? Haven't seen you in the Islanders won't be able to maintain their current PDO thread in a long time.
Thread isn’t going, but their shooting percentage dropped, but their goaltending stayed elite. Seems like they are the latest team to ride a season long hot streak. Great for you guys that you are going to get playoff hockey the season after Tavares left, but I still have my doubts that it is sustainable.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Just because a goal was overturned doesn't mean the penalty didn't happen. You can take a penalty between whistles,this is no different.

Does the clock get reset after a successful offside coach's challenge? I honestly don't remember.

If it does, it makes sense to not call the penalty honestly.

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008
I think they should have some infractions which aren't the dangerous kind like a hook, hold, too many men etc... labeled as something that goes away during replayed time. Have anything like a crosscheck, board or slash as a safety penalty and thus enforced

Exactly. Why does everyone jump to the ridiculous two-handed smash in someone's face that happens like once a season at best.

The rule requires referee discretion, which of course is stupid and adds even more stupidity to the offsides challenge. Considering the precedent from what was called today, if a team heads in on an odd man break but is offsides, and a defender takes a stick penalty to prevent a goal but they score anyways, then the goal gets disallowed from the review and the penalty stands? That's stupid. The penalty was caused by trying to prevent a play that was negated by a challenge. The penalty should go with it.

And yes, let's appease the people that will go to the extreme edge case. If someone takes off their skate and tries to stab someone, that would be seen as an excessive non-hockey play and should be called regardless.

So, we are left with giving more gray area to the rule for refs to mess up. Bottom line is, get rid of this dumb challenge rule. Maybe allow an official scorer to call it off for something egregious like the Duchene play, which rarely ever happens. None of this skate was a millimeter off the ice crap.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Does the clock get reset after a successful offside coach's challenge? I honestly don't remember.

If it does, it makes sense to not call the penalty honestly.
The clock does get reset yes.

And not calling the penalty makes no sense. That's like saying after the whistle goes, and the clock is no longer moving you can go break your stick over another guys head cause it never happened cause the time was stopped.

A penalty is a penalty no matter when it happens.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad