Expectations for the Minnesota Wild in 2015-16

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Folin impresses to the point Fletcher moves one of Spurgeon, Dumba, or Brodin for a center or RW.

Pominville has another year struggling.

Vanek is better but still a shadow of his former self.

Koivu is similar but moves closer to shutdown center.

We all except Coyle as a 15/30 2nd line RW.

Graovac impresses but doesn't break 30 points.

Granlund breaks 50 points.

Nino gets injured. Because somebody has to.

Scandella becomes an even bigger stud.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
at the end of the article it says last season the wild gave us a glimpse of what their capable of. i agree with that statement.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
We could win the division or we could end up out of the playoffs. It's a mad, mad, mad, mad world out there.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
We could win the division or we could end up out of the playoffs. It's a mad, mad, mad, mad world out there.

Yup, I've said before that first in the division wouldn't surprise me at all. Neither would seventh. But that would obviously be a major letdown.

Sarge58

Jan 25, 2014
Due to the Goalie fiasco of last year and the impact the Sydor situation may have on this season I'm tempering my expectations on everything except:

That I'm going to go against the majority and say Koivu will have a bounce back season. (I thought he played his best hockey in a long time during the first couple of months of last year but with bad timing and being totally snakebitten along with those who he happened to be lined up with)

I also feel this will be the first of several breakout years (if that makes sense) that Dumba starts to get more media attention and becomes more noticeable to fans as being one of the leagues most exciting players.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
What's maddening is how streaky the Wild are.

That means that statistically, sometime between now and the rest of eternity, we are due for a good streak of wins IN the playoffs.

I can sleep better at night after realizing that fact :sarcasm:

W75

Wegistewed Usew
Oct 22, 2011
Winland
Unless. At some point comes a huuuge expansion and there will be close to infinite amount of teams in the NHL. That could have an effect on our chances...

:sarcasm:

W75

Wegistewed Usew
Oct 22, 2011
Winland
Damn. Does anyone actually know.. if there's an eternal time frame and infinite number of teams, what are the odds that a single team like Wild (not the Leafs) wins the Cup at some point? I'm not so good in this... statistical mathematics thing.

W75

Wegistewed Usew
Oct 22, 2011
Winland
This theorem is close to what you're looking for. Dealing with "infinity" in general requires some abstract thinking. I believe the answer that the event will happen is of probability zero, which in mathematical terms, is not the same as impossible.

Confused yet? :teach:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infinite_monkey_theorem

350.png

I think I kind of understood, but what I didn't understand is..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infinite_monkey_theorem said:
..It should also be noted that real monkeys don't produce uniformly random output, which means that an actual monkey hitting keys for an infinite amount of time has no statistical certainty of ever producing any given text..

..that does this sentence make our chances worse or better?

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
I think I kind of understood, but what I didn't understand is..

..that does this sentence make our chances worse or better?

That's just saying that a real monkey wouldn't hit every key on a keyboard with equal probability.. which doesn't affect the theorem at all. :laugh:

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Team expectations:

Wild either plays consistently well (not amazing) or Yeo is replaced. Make the playoffs or Fletcher is replaced.

Player expectations:

Parise leads the team in scoring again
Nino has a breakout year and is our second best winger
Vanek and Pominville bounce back in scoring
Zucker does well but doesn't break out like last year
Koivu continues to struggle offensively but wins draws and gets a ton of ice time
Granlund doesn't break out but gets more PP time and a few more points
Coyle struggles at center and moved to wing
Graovac will be #3 center by December
Haula does okay as fourth line center but not great
Suter gets less PP time and plays more consistently 5v5 but not Norris worthy
Spurgeon is our best defenseman again and nobody notices
Dumba scores a lot on the PP and plays more physical
Brodin is good defensively but not good offensively
Scandella plays well overall and provides energy
Reilly won't stick with the team for more than two months
Dubnyk is reliable, steals a few games, but ~10th in league save%

TL;DR - Wild are elite defensively, strong at the wing position, centers are below average, above average in net

Last edited:

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
jarick i always value your opinion. i just dont see CF admitting he made a mistake and firing yeo. i wish somebody would fix the powerplay. as long as fans are in the stands i dont see CL firing CF. i sure hope reilly sticks. im guilty of under valuing spurgeon but as i've stated before i cant see how the math works next year to keep spur ; zucker & dumba. i believe if this team plays to the best of their abilities we're a playoff team.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
I hope we don't fire Fletcher (or Yeo). Russo had a great point that organizations have to develop not only young players, but also coaches and GMs. Fletcher has had some learning experiences, but he's shown a good mix of gusto and intelligence in building the Wild from the trash it was at the end of the DR era. Yeo's problems might not be easy to fix, but they are simple. Stop deferring to vets and get a better PP coach.

Wild48

Ski U Mah
Nov 10, 2011
Duluth
Folin impresses to the point Fletcher moves one of Spurgeon, Dumba, or Brodin for a center or RW.

Vanek improving would mean he's pushing 30 goals on the season. Hardly a "shadow"

plock

Sonic Reducer
Oct 5, 2013
Mill City

Doubt that Dumba or Brodin are traded unless the return is something astronomical.

Pominville is a player who is going to get about 60 pts. a year (20 something goals 30 something assists) expecting more is unrealistic.54 pts. while less than 60 is hardly struggling.

I imagine they continue to develop Coyle as a center,which they should have been doing from day 1,first in Iowa/Houston and then on the 3rd line in the NHL.

Graovac will have to do a lot of work to impress enough to be a regular starter,I see it more likely that he gets 20-30 starts than anything near 30 points.

I hope Granlund improves his scoring but 50-60 points for a number 1C is still pretty low.

I agree someone will suffer an injury.

Scandella I see as a more likely trade option than Brodin or Dumba.Hopefully his defensive game will improve and his scoring will continue.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Just to touch on infinite teams... If there were infinite teams, you would have an infinitely long regular season, even if each team only played one game. That is to say, the season would never end, and the playoffs would never begin. Infinity is not a number, therefore there can be no odds for a single team out of an infinite amount of teams winning the cup.

So the odds aren't zero, they simply don't exist. For your casual sports fan, that comes out to the same.

Joe Cool

Jun 2, 2012
Flecther will send the 2016 4th round draft pick to the Coyotes for John Scott. :cry:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad