Expectations for the 2016-17 Season

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
People who are still expecting Brodin to become an offensive contributor, and headed for more disappointment.

Brodin has NEVER showed a proclivity to produce offensive points at any level, yet people continue to try and place his square peg in a round hole. He is a DEFENSIVE d-man. Expecting anything more that 10-15 per season is almost certainly an exercise in failure.

Brodin's per 82 game point totals:

2012-13: 20
2013-14: 20
2014-15: 20
2015-16: 8

Which one of those, at this point in time, is the outlier?

Maybe the 8 goals he scored in 2013-14 were the 8 luckiest goals scored in the league that year, but maybe not.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I could see Brodin getting 5 goals if he's not babysitting Dumba defensively. 2 of those goals are probably fluke types: EN at the end of the game on a clear, bounces off a couple of the other team.

Dumba, Scandella, Spurgeon should have 10g seasons (if fully healthy). Just having equal(ish) PP time should help boost their totals. Suter and Brodin at 5g each (could just as easy be 5g combined). 45g combined from our dmen is the total I'd like to see.

Dampland

Mar 14, 2011
Gainfully Employed
Brodin%20Stats_zpsuoau33mc.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Here are Brodin's stats.

Using his NHL career averages thru 4 years, Brodin would be expected to finish with the following point breakdown.

82 Regular Season Games Played : 4.7 Goals/12.2 Assists/16.8 points

28 games Playoff Games: 0.8 goals/3.3 assists/4.1 points.

So perhaps expecting 5 goals from Brodin is not out of the question, but based on his history, he is much more likely to finish with 2-3 goals.

That being said, expecting 20 points or more from Brodin does not appear to be a reality that will happen.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Right now, his career average is greatly affected by one outlier season. Until that outlier season becomes his norm, I think expecting ~20 points isn't an outrageous notion.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Brodin is much farther ahead of where Hjalmarsson was at 23.

He has the tools to become a decent offensive player. Whether he is given the encouragement or opportunity to do so is on the coaching staff. Whether he takes advantage of any opportunities( i.e. PP time, better linemates, better zone starts) is up to him.

I would say his biggest obstacle to improving offensively is his D teammates. Suter, Spurgeon, Dumba, Reilly all are very good offensively and hard to wrest offensive duties from. Scandella is in a similar situation.

I think both players would flourish on a D starved team. Right now, there are simply not enough offensive oppos to go around.

Isn't it about time for a 2016-7 Points Prediction thread? Mine is going to be pretty negative, I tell you.

Last edited:

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
With dmen it's not necessarily the amount of points you get but rather the way you play in certain situations. It's certain situations like up a goal late in the game or down a goal while on the power play late in a game where Brodin and Dumba will make their difference known. Both equally important IMO.

Dampland

Mar 14, 2011
Gainfully Employed
With dmen it's not necessarily the amount of points you get but rather the way you play in certain situations. It's certain situations like up a goal late in the game or down a goal while on the power play late in a game where Brodin and Dumba will make their difference known. Both equally important IMO.

Yep, far too much focus on points scored by a D-man, when most D-men offer much more value to their team, than goals.

W75

Wegistewed Usew
Oct 22, 2011
Winland
I don't think that having low expectations is being a Debby Downer. They're just expectations based on development of this team during the recent years, and I'll still be very happy if they succeed. Our expectations won't effect their performance. Two different things. Having lower expectations can still lead to an enjoyable hockey season as a fan.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad