Expectations for the 2016-17 Season

PuckInTheNards

Feb 4, 2008
I have much lower expectations for the Wild going into this season than I had the past few. I honestly think this is the season we miss the playoffs. Hopefully Boudreau makes a difference but I guess I just don't see it...

Man, I hope I'm wrong.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
last year i expected an increase from 100 to 106 what a bellyflop. BB has to be worth 6 pts from 87 to 93. i guess im hoping zucker not mentioned gets back to 18-20G ; pommer back to 18G; parise 30G.(if healthy). maybe the D pops in a few more we could be golden. if we can get upto 235GF and drop to 200GA we can hang with the best. dare to dream.

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013
Niederreiter was one of the best possession forwards in the league last season.

NotYou

Sep 21, 2014
Bubble team, same as I felt about last year's version. WPG EDM CAL and ARI are all going to become threats soon. I figure one of them will make the playoffs this year. LA, us and to a lesser extent chicago, are treading water. Unless a young guy emerges as a paryako/Galchenyuk/Huberderu level of player I just don't see any way we can be more than a bubble team this year and out of the picture moving forward.
I don't put as much stock into coaching as some of you seem to. Hopefully BB can get someone to figure their game out

I say we barely miss

Last edited:

W75

Wegistewed Usew
Oct 22, 2011
Winland
Low expectations. It's starting to get cold and the window must be closed. Trying to enjoy one game at a time.

hirawl

Used Register
Dec 27, 2010
The young ones are still getting better and out of the old guys only Pominville has kind of fallen off the cliff. We got BB. We got Staal. Reilly, Graovac, Tuch, Olofsson all create competition from inside.

Without them mid to late season slumps this team has been everything from a very solid playoff contender to a downright amazing league dominating force. Without making too much noise. The team is much better than people let you think.

The slumps were probably because of the exhausting system and not being able to adapt during the long season. I'm sure the players are able to carry most of the good things from it with them and have that genuine from-the-D-up mentality as a backbone when enjoying the fantastic offensive coaching of Bruce Boudreau. Which I think will carry all three Nino, Coyle and Granny to career seasons.

I'm fully confident the playoff window is wide open and the team will fly thru it without scratching the frames. In the playoffs then anything can happen.

What I'm fretting about is a possible slow start. Not really expecting it but there's a fair chance given the changes and even BB's history. If it did happen it could turn out too much for the team's confidence.

DrPP

Oct 21, 2009
The Wild overachieve in the regular season, winning the division. Lose in the first or second round of the playoffs.

keppel146

Jun 4, 2010
MinneSOta
I'm expecting a strong year, don't get where some of these negative attitudes are coming from. Make the playoffs, then who knows. We easily could have won that first round series last year, but a couple of bounces just didn't go our way(one off dallas skate and over the net and the one thay may or may not have crossed the line). Go wild.

Dampland

Mar 14, 2011
Gainfully Employed
The Wild will have more points than last season, but will still fail to make the playoffs, or they will lose in the first round.

They are not built for playoff hockey. I like BB, and think his coaching plus some rebound seasons for a few players will result in close to 9 more wins this season.

But in the end they will end up with another draft pick in the 16-22 range, and once again pick an average player.

I'm really not expecting much, since I have no faith they will succeed in the post-season, so I am going to try and enjoy the individual efforts of my favorite players. And hopefully not want to cut my ears off by the 3rd week of the season after hearing Let's Go Crazy for the 40th time.

Dampland

Mar 14, 2011
Gainfully Employed
I have much lower expectations for the Wild going into this season than I had the past few. I honestly think this is the season we miss the playoffs. Hopefully Boudreau makes a difference but I guess I just don't see it...

Man, I hope I'm wrong.

635376291361910097ExpectationsLower.jpg

lowered-expectations-madtv-350.jpg

o6MMzY97_400x400.png

lower_your_expectations_300.gif

:)

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
Don't mean to sound like a huge downer, but...

I don't think there's possibly any way we improve upon last season's performance. Vets continue to get older, and our young core isn't showing any signs of drastic improvement... Save for Dumba, maybe. Everybody else seems to have plateaued, or is only improving marginally. We also didn't add any major pieces like some of our Central Division counterparts.

A coaching change isn't going to completely revitalize our roster; it's too split right now. Our best players are past their peak years, and quite a few of our young guns missed their projected level. We'd be singing a different tune if Parise/Suter/Koivu/Pominville/Vanek/Staal were all peaking now along with Granlund/Coyle/Nino/Zucker all knocking on the door of 'peak performance years.'

I think Tampa or Winnipeg are good examples of what Fletcher was trying to do, but his plans didn't quite work out. Those teams have a mix of productive experienced players, and their young guys are actually matching point totals or surpassing those experienced players. Also important to note, they have top prospect pipelines loaded with guys pushing for spots (in case the current crop doesn't pan out).

Take an objective look at our current prospect situation... None of our young guys are pushing for bottom-6 positions. We're discussing Porter vs. Carter in a different thread, and have offered Schroeder 1 year contracts over and over... Ideally, guys like Graovac, Bulmer, Lucia, and Gabriel should be making those types of players obsolete.

Last edited:

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I think the the Central as a whole won't be as strong as it has been, with the exception of WPG.

25% chance we miss the playoffs

40% chance we make the playoffs and lose in first round.

25% chance we win a round.

8% chance we win two rounds.

2% chance we win three or more rounds.

I think Koivu will be showing his age. Not optimistic about Parise's back. We'll be lucky to get one good year out of Staal.

Unless Tuch( or someone else) steps up we are not going to be better next year. Maybe if Olofsson AND Reilly look like they can handle regular NHL shifts we can do an in season trade for a forward with one of our Dmen going the other way.

Soldier13Fox

jävlar anamma (f'ing embrace, get with it)
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids
DOOM

Sheesh people :shakehead

I'm realistic enough to realize we aren't going to a cup team, but I don't think there's any reason to believe we'll be worse than last year. I don't see our vets dropping off a cliff or anything and I think we'll see really strong year with Nino and Coyle. I feel Zucker's going to bounce back. If Granlund stays on the wing, which I think is the most beneficial thing we get out of Staal, I see him having a good year. I don't know ... I just am looking forward to hockey again!

But then again, I'm always pretty optimistic in the offseason and always lose money with stupid bets to my brother in law. So ... I guess that means ...

DOOM ON!

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
I think most people are pretty optimistic going into each season. ;)

Look back at our annual point prediction threads. Everyone says they're guessing conservatively, but estimations usually trend over.

DrPP

Oct 21, 2009
The team is solid and BB is the best coach the Wild have had in a long time if not ever. People are underestimating BB's impact.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
The team is solid and BB is the best coach the Wild have had in a long time if not ever. People are underestimating BB's impact.

Is 2016-17 an adjustment year? Or do we expect the team to succeed under Boudreau immediately?

I think most people will forgive one mediocre season under a new coach. I think most NHL coaches nowadays run similar systems. The coaching personnel change was necessary and welcome. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't see how our current roster performs drastically better than before.

Uberdachen

Posts Last 5 Minutes
Sep 5, 2012
Pants.
Is 2016-17 an adjustment year? Or do we expect the team to succeed under Boudreau immediately?

I think most people will forgive one mediocre season under a new coach. I think most NHL coaches nowadays run similar systems. The coaching personnel change was necessary and welcome. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't see how our current roster performs drastically better than before.

'Before' meaning, the part of last season that was really bad or the part that was so good that even the really bad part couldn't keep the team out of the playoffs?

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
'Before' meaning, the part of last season that was really bad or the part that was so good that even the really bad part couldn't keep the team out of the playoffs?

Yeah, pretty much. I was really taking the whole season into account, but in my mind it's safe to say they won't do better than that first successful half.

Again, just my opinion. Hope I'm wrong.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
i personally think we have a chance to win the division.

Certainly possible. Parise's health is the key for me. Winning the division also means believing that Winnipeg adding Patrik Laine and Kyle Connor while losing Chris Thorburn and Anthony Peluso means no net wins. It means believing the losing Patrick Roy and adding Jared Bednar means no net wins. It means that St. Louis, with another year of Fabbri and Parayko and better health luck, takes a step back. It means that adding PK Subban to a team with Forsberg, Johansen, and Josi in their primes won't equate to more success. And it means betting against the Blackhawks while also believing that Dallas's offense is somehow a fluke.

I don't think players decline on a straight line or anything, but asking a repeat performance of Parise, Koivu, Dubnyk, Pominville, Staal, Stewart, Suter is asking a lot.

We may not have seen the best of Nino, Coyle, Granny, Haula, or Zucker but we may have not seen the worst either.

I'm completely on board with the idea that Dumba, Brodin, and Spurgeon will be better this season. The depth is also solid there.

But as I've said for a few years, you need prospect depth in the cap era. The Wild's depth is exceedingly poor in terms of forwards and goalies who could play an NHL role. On an older team (especially with these guys playing extra games this fall) that spells a possible disaster more often than it spells CUP.

(That said, this franchise has good young players and a decent pipeline that just needs a bluechipper to get back into the mix.)

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
We know we're a good defensive team, so it's a matter of if we can score goals like a Cup contender. Last year, 15th place was ~2.65 goals-per-game and top 5 was ~2.8

Which of these goal totals is unrealistic for this season:

Parise: 25
Staal: 20
Coyle: 25

Granlund: 15
Koivu: 15
Zucker: 20

Nino: 25
Haula: 15
Pominville: 15

4th line total: 10

Suter: 8
Spurgeon: 7
Scandella: 5
Dumba: 10
Brodin: 5

Total of 220, which is 2.68 per game. Of course, it unrealistically assumes perfect health, but who's to say that Haula doesn't score 19 instead of 15, or Parise 30 instead of 25, etc...

Long story short, I think the numbers are still there for a successful season.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Don't mean to sound like a huge downer, but...

I don't think there's possibly any way we improve upon last season's performance. Vets continue to get older, and our young core isn't showing any signs of drastic improvement... Save for Dumba, maybe. Everybody else seems to have plateaued, or is only improving marginally. We also didn't add any major pieces like some of our Central Division counterparts.

Did Dumba really improve? He played more games than the year before, so some of the points boost is from that. He might have gone from a #6D to a #5D, still not top-4 quality. Other than Suter the Defense as a whole took a step back. Haula is the player I'd say was the most improved.

Staal is a major piece (as UFA), just getting Granlund/Coyle out of the 2C spot and onto the wing (where both should be better).

A coaching change isn't going to completely revitalize our roster; it's too split right now. Our best players are past their peak years, and quite a few of our young guns missed their projected level. We'd be singing a different tune if Parise/Suter/Koivu/Pominville/Vanek/Staal were all peaking now along with Granlund/Coyle/Nino/Zucker all knocking on the door of 'peak performance years.'

Coyle/Nino/Granny are still a couple years away from their "prime years". But all three are quality middle-6 players. Agree that the older players are past their primes (except maybe Suter).

BB (going from past teams) should help some players: Nino, Pommer, Haula, Coyle, Parise; but hurt others: Koivu, last year's junk 4th line, Spurgeon, Prosser, Suter (at least in his mind, when his play time is cut).

I have high hopes for SS with the defense. Brodin, Scandella, Dumba could all really benefit from his coaching.

I think Tampa or Winnipeg are good examples of what Fletcher was trying to do, but his plans didn't quite work out. Those teams have a mix of productive experienced players, and their young guys are actually matching point totals or surpassing those experienced players. Also important to note, they have top prospect pipelines loaded with guys pushing for spots (in case the current crop doesn't pan out).

Take an objective look at our current prospect situation... None of our young guys are pushing for bottom-6 positions. We're discussing Porter vs. Carter in a different thread, and have offered Schroeder 1 year contracts over and over... Ideally, guys like Graovac, Bulmer, Lucia, and Gabriel should be making those types of players obsolete.

Schroeder on cheap 1 year deals has been fine to me, he's a RFA after all. He at least gives Iowa (where he belongs) some talent. Not rehashing the rest of my comments from the other thread.

I'd even raise you one on the prospects. Ideally we'd have prospects earn top-9 spots and bump our current players down to the 4th line. Zucker/Haula/Stewie would be one of the better 4th lines in the league.

Overall I'd say a WC spot is likely. No huge mid-season slump, but the growing pains of new coach/system kind of even things out record wise. We pretty much have to get better in OT games (hard to do worse). 93-98 points on the season.

Looking at the division:
- Chi got better on defense, but I their FWDs got worse.
- Col about the same team, new coach. Dunno what they are going to do.
- Dal same as last year. Score a lot of goals, bad defense, questionable goaltending. Fun team to watch.
- Nsh still has the best defense in the league. I don't think PK can carry Josi like Weber did.
- StL I think will drop off from last year from too many distractions/changes. Yoe in waiting, **** trade rumors, Backes/Brouwer/Elliot/Ott (locker-room guy) all gone.
- Jets lots of young talent everywhere, young talent = growing pains. Probably a year or two away from being scary in the division.

One of the West teams might surprise and take a WC slot, but I think the Central still gets both of them.

Last edited:

keppel146

Jun 4, 2010
MinneSOta
we were a top team at the halfway point year, best in franchise history. What key additions have other central teams made besides WPG getting a player in the draft? Our squad is ok enough and I think Granny will improve at wing. all areas--offense and defense should improve this year. If it doesn't, then there is a serious chemistry issue and we should blow up the entire team.

Dampland

Mar 14, 2011
Gainfully Employed
We know we're a good defensive team, so it's a matter of if we can score goals like a Cup contender. Last year, 15th place was ~2.65 goals-per-game and top 5 was ~2.8

Which of these goal totals is unrealistic for this season:

Parise: 25
Staal: 20
Coyle: 25

Granlund: 15
Koivu: 15
Zucker: 20

Nino: 25
Haula: 15
Pominville: 15

4th line total: 10

Suter: 8
Spurgeon: 7
Scandella: 5
Dumba: 10
Brodin: 5

Total of 220, which is 2.68 per game. Of course, it unrealistically assumes perfect health, but who's to say that Haula doesn't score 19 instead of 15, or Parise 30 instead of 25, etc...

Long story short, I think the numbers are still there for a successful season.

People who are still expecting Brodin to become an offensive contributor, and headed for more disappointment.

Brodin has NEVER showed a proclivity to produce offensive points at any level, yet people continue to try and place his square peg in a round hole. He is a DEFENSIVE d-man. Expecting anything more that 10-15 per season is almost certainly an exercise in failure.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad